Old Overholt and (rī)¹

sku
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've mostly stayed away from Beam ryes, so I decided to do a tasting of Overholt and (rī)¹. Now, I'm a big rye fan and I've scarcely had a bad thing to say about any rye I previously tried, but I didn't really care for either of these. OO was too sweet and (rī)¹, aside from being obnoxious, just wasn't very flavorful, particularly at that price.

For the complete review, see below:

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2009/01/whiskey-wednesday-ryes-and-fall-of-jim.html

I agree. You won't see either of those on my bar shelf. Sorry you had to drop the money to figure out that they were not worth it.

I liked the (rī)¹ but despised the OO. As others have stated, I found the (rī)¹ was thin and lacking in "umph" for a $40 rye. I like WTR101 and Ritt BIB much better, but I would certainly drink it again.

As for the OO, I found it had many of the same qualities I dispise in OGD BIB. It seemed chemically to me and had the mouthfeel of bleach.

I won't be buying either - one is over priced and the other needs a hazardous materials label on it.

I was trying to work through some OO last night and it was a job. It's not fun to drink straight, sweet up front with a viscious mouthfeel, and a slightly spicy weak finish but I really hate the pepto bismol sensation at the end.

It's like when I breath through my nose after swallowing I swear I just downed a tablespoon of the pink stuff.

Sku, I liked your review --it gave me a pretty clear insight on what to expect here. I haven't had the (rī)¹ but I'm finding it harder & harder to defend the Old Overholt. The first bottle I had I really liked, but as my tastes have developed, none of the characteristics I like in rye (or straight whiskey for that matter) are really in play here. And it's not as cheap as it could be for what it is -- the WT trumps it easily, if I'm going to spend $15, I might as well spend $20 for somehting a whole lot better.....the Overholt is easily outgrown, methinks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.