A quick Pyrat question

MissingKY
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi guys, I'm new to sipping rum neat, but I've found that I really enjoy the 375 ml bottle of Pyrat Pistol that I picked up last week. I've read in a lot of other threads that folks seem to really like the Pyrat XO, too, but I can't really tell how the Pistol stacks up versus the XO. Those of you who have tried both, what do you think? As I said, I very much enjoy the Pistol, but I think I could savor it a bit more if the orange flavors were a little more muted.

The reason I ask is that I keep seeing the 375s of Pistol at $10-11, while the 750s of the XO are a little over $20. At roughly the same price per ounce, which one would you learned rum drinkers jump on?

Cheers,

Ethan

Hi guys, I'm new to sipping rum neat, but I've found that I really enjoy the 375 ml bottle of Pyrat Pistol that I picked up last week. I've read in a lot of other threads that folks seem to really like the Pyrat XO, too, but I can't really tell how the Pistol stacks up versus the XO. Those of you who have tried both, what do you think? As I said, I very much enjoy the Pistol, but I think I could savor it a bit more if the orange flavors were a little more muted.

The reason I ask is that I keep seeing the 375s of Pistol at $10-11, while the 750s of the XO are a little over $20. At roughly the same price per ounce, which one would you learned rum drinkers jump on?

Cheers,

Ethan

I have not tried the Pistol...but I can't imagine the orange flavor in the XO being muted compared to anything...it was the only flavor I could pick up in this bottle. I have not had enough Rum to speak with authority, but this tasted more like a liqueur to me...not what I expected at all.

Hmmm...I think you may have hit the nail on the head for me. I really enjoy the Pistol, but it is almost liqueur-ish in its orange sweetness. It's a very enjoyable drink, but the intensity of the orange is so great that I don't think I could put down a hefty pour of it like I do with bourbon or rye.

I mentioned in another thread, I have only tried three Rums. The Zacapa 23 was much more along the lines of what I expected...though not Bourbon...more similiar to me in the nose, the brown sugar and oak flavors...I guess more balanced is what Im trying to say?

I really like the XO but haven't tried the Pistole. I picked one up for Dawn (LUV2HUNT) but never got to taste it. It's been a while since I tasted it but I really enjoyed it neat. I've tried a couple of others neat since and the only one that I enjoyed as much or more was Santa Teresa (sp?) which I can't get here in Colorado.

Dane,

I will bring one...

The Pistol is great. Everything good about the the XO, but smother.... you can find for as low as $10 a bottle on sale and as high as $35...

It was a good B-day bringing home the ER 17, I also was given a bottle of Zaya Gran Reserva 12 Year old Rum. Rich and smooth, a great sipping Rum.

There was also a bottom shelf label that was just called Pyrat rum. It was about $14-17 per 750ml. I don't know if it is still available...but seemed more muted than XO in the orange range. It is more along the lines of light and dry...with a hint of orange.

I think the entire Pyrat line's theme is "orange".

I tried the pistol, XO, and Cask 23, all had heavy orange notes.

I like them though for what its worth.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.