I attend the CMDK coming-out party.

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just left the coming-out party in Owensboro for Charles Medley Distillers Kentucky. That's the new, official name, conveniently abbreviated already as CMDK.

So, naturally, like any 21st century American, I went back to my hotel and blogged about it.

Long story short, they'll be lucky if the first new make finds its way into a barrel in 2009.

The event was weird in a lot of ways. Here's an example. The place is called Charles Medley Distillers Kentucky. Charles is an actual, living person, and he was there, in the room, but never acknowledged, asked to speak, asked to stand up and wave. Nothing. I know he was there because I saw him, but I didn't get a chance to talk to him. There were, as it turned out, other Medley family members there too. They weren't recognized either. That probably doesn't mean anything, but it seemed odd.

CMDK? Really that sounds like some kind of techie buzzword, like HDMI or AAAS.

But the really important thing is: where did you eat you mutton while in Owensboro?

Chuck,

Could it be that the capital is coming from people who know nothing about the mystique regarding bourbon and its production?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

It's interesting how they did this... seems like a pretty big deal about very little right now. It will be interesting to see how it develops over time.

I wonder if they couldn't have accomplished the same or more with a well written press release?

Did you notice that the flag for Trinadad and Tobago was the same height as the American flag? I don't have a problem with it, but it does show a lack of knowledge of convention by the company (and the contractor who put up the poles, probably).

Did you notice that the flag for Trinadad and Tobago was the same height as the American flag? I don't have a problem with it, but it does show a lack of knowledge of convention by the company (and the contractor who put up the poles, probably).

I personally do have a problem with it... I appreciate folks taking the time to honor and fly our flag, however I do expect them to know and show the proper respect that our flag deserves and actually... demands.

I personally do have a problem with it... I appreciate folks taking the time to honor and fly our flag, however I do expect them to know and show the proper respect that our flag deserves and actually... demands.

11. When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace.

The Texas flag is the only state flag that may be flown at the same hight as the US flag.

from wikipedia:

Urban legend

It is a common urban legend that the Texas flag is the only state flag that is allowed to fly at the same height as the U.S. flag. Allegedly, Texas has this right inherently (as a former independent nation) or because it negotiated special provisions when it joined the Union (this version has been stated as fact on a PBS website). However, the legend is false. Neither the Joint Resolution for Annexing Texas to the United States nor the Ordinance of Annexation contain any provisions regarding flags. According to the United States Flag Code, any state flag can be flown at the same height as the U.S. flag; the U.S. flag should be on its right (the viewer's left), however. Consistent with the U.S. Flag Code, the Texas Flag Code specifies that the state flag should either be flown below the U.S. flag if on the same pole or at the same height as the U.S. flag if on separate poles.

Flag etiquette should be posted elsewhere. This is an interesting thread concerning a distillery not a discussion on how to properly display the American Flag.

It's great to see that some progress is being made at Medley.

Which state doesn't have a flag?

My bad. Most places I've seen flags of other countries do fly them lower than the U.S. flag, but that's just them, apparently.

Chuck specifically mentioned the flags in his blog post. I don't see how discussing the flags at the distillery is not about the distillery.

It seems odd that they had this big gathering without any real work to show. I saw them doing some roofing, and there were signs that they were replacing siding on a warehouse.

If they had fermentation vats or stills being installed you'd think they would have shown them off.

I am very interested in distilleries and their history. I don't really care how many flags or flag poles are dispalyed or how flags are displayed. I would only be concerned if the American flag were displayed upside down or if was being burned. I would rather know what their facilities are like and their plans for the future.

Unfortunately, I guess that I am now contributing to a subject that I believe should be listed elsewhere - flag etiquette.

from wikipedia:

Urban legend

It is a common urban legend that the Texas flag is the only state flag that is allowed to fly at the same height as the U.S. flag. Allegedly, Texas has this right inherently (as a former independent nation) or because it negotiated special provisions when it joined the Union (this version has been stated as fact on a PBS website). However, the legend is false. Neither the Joint Resolution for Annexing Texas to the United States nor the Ordinance of Annexation contain any provisions regarding flags. According to the United States Flag Code, any state flag can be flown at the same height as the U.S. flag; the U.S. flag should be on its right (the viewer's left), however. Consistent with the U.S. Flag Code, the Texas Flag Code specifies that the state flag should either be flown below the U.S. flag if on the same pole or at the same height as the U.S. flag if on separate poles.

Texas is, however, the only state allowed to handle its own maritime disputes, because it was formerly a sovereign nation.

Here are the flags, picture taken earlier today. I don't know if you can identify all of them from this picture, but it's the best one I have.

If they had done it wrong, that would be an interesting story, but I don't believe they have, and since the plant manager is U.S. military, retired, and an Irag veteran, I'll bet they're all being flown correctly, without even looking it up.

Thread drift irritates some people more than others (me, not so much), but the least someone who wants to make a statement about the flags should do is look up the rules. They are here.

I remember after 9/11, when Target was selling American flag welcome matts. Show your patriotism by wiping your feet on the American flag. Like they say about baseball, you can look it up.

post-5-14489815262539_thumb.jpg

I think Angostura is doing a good job with the image stuff for where they are. Don't underestimate the significance of the fact that they probably produced all of that stuff locally, in Owensboro, as a way of saying, "look, we're already bringing some business into town." That's about all of the image they care about at this point--give the local folks something to identify with, so maybe they don't just call it "the old Medley Brothers place" for the next 50 years, which is what they'll probably do anyway.

They're focusing very much on their local community right now. They're a foreign company. They want to be seen as a good neighbor. They want to know there are people in the community who will defend them when a neighbor says, "I know it's good for the economy, but do we really want those distilleries coming back?"

They saw the need for some kind of corporate image right now, for right now. It will change later if the need changes. The logo makes more sense when you realize the plant manager is ex-military. It's clean, clear, functional. It might make a good patch.

We'll see how it plays out, but my takeaway from the weekend is that they are doing a lot of things right for where they are in the process. They look like a real company making a real investment in a real business.

Their parent, CL Financial, is struggling right now like every other financial services company. That matters because the weak link in whiskey operations is always the financing.

I've not spent much time in Owensboro on my bourbon travels. No whiskey has been made there since 1991. It's 120 miles west of Louisville and since it had no operating distilleries, to save money I didn't go there for the documentary. I'm glad to be learning more about it now. For example, I didn't know that Daviess County, like Nelson and Marion, has always been heavily Catholic. We Papists got no problem with the alcohol.

I'm willing to give Angostura the benefit of the doubt. At least they are resurrecting an idle distillery, which is nothing but good. I'm all for preserving the history of the industry in all forms. If I was an oldtimer who loved bourbon and lived in Owensboro, I'd be elated!

Thomas

Derek Schneider, the plant manager, said they're trying to achieve a good balance of tradition and modernity, although I don't think he used the word "modernity." Perfect example is this. The old beer still and doubler are still there and that's what they will use, but they're going to have the latest computer process controls. By the way, everybody else has all the latest computer process controls too, so that's almost traditional. In all the ways that matter, they're going to make Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey the same way they did before and the same way everybody else does, which I think is all the bourbon fan really needs to hear right now.

Picture: CMDK caps and t-shirts displayed in actual cut barrel halves, for that just-dumped aroma.

post-5-14489815288167_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.