Red Stag by Jim Beam.

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is either brilliant or insane, I can’t decide which.

Jim Beam has a new product called “Red Stag by Jim Beam.†The label says it is “Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey infused with natural flavors.†The flavor in this case is black cherry.

The potentially insane part is not the product itself. It is their use of the Jim Beam name. The Jim Beam logo appears prominently on the capsule and in the background on the face label. The product uses the standard, square Jim Beam bottle. The side label says, “Made with Jim Beam Bourbon.â€

It is 80° proof (40% alc./vol.), like white label Jim Beam.

The letter from Beam Global’s Chief Marketing Officer, Rory Finlay, says it is “something new, something different, and our first innovation in over a decade.â€

I suspect he is referring to Jacob’s Well, a bourbon Beam introduced about 10 years ago, touted as “the first micro-distilled bourbon.†The idea was to capitalize on the micro-brewery craze. There was only one problem. “Micro-distilled†wasn’t just marketing fluff, it was a flat-out lie.

Beam had finessed “Small Batch†by honestly explaining that it referred to selection and bottling, not distillation. “Micro-distilled†was just a howler, no way around it. The product quickly failed and I think Beam learned from that experience. Jacob’s Well aside, Beam doesn’t make many mistakes, so although my first reaction to Red Stag was negative, I resolved to keep an open mind.

Abraham Lincoln is reputed to have said, about a book, “if you like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing you will like.†There is some of that here. If you strictly drink whiskey straight, don’t even think about trying Red Stag. If, however, you like whiskey cocktails, or whiskey-based liqueurs, you might go for this. The black cherry flavor is very good, very rich, much better tasting than the Philips Union cherry-flavored whiskey that came out a few years ago.

Black cherry is my favorite Life Saver flavor, so I like Red Stag. Although not classed as a liqueur, it put me in mind of Wild Turkey’s American Honey. It is not a similar flavor, but the same kind of beast, and probably something you would drink on the same kind of occasion.

Finlay’s letter also says, “Red Stag is created though a unique, artisanal, natural infusion process where black cherry flavors are slowly and carefully infused into our fine, four year old bourbon.â€

As a whiskey drinker, I probably would dial back the black cherry a little bit to let more of the whiskey taste come through, but I suspect the target audience will be glad it tastes the way it does. It is not as cloyingly sweet as most liqueurs.

Right now, I’m enjoying Red Stag on-the-rocks with a little Stirrings orange bitters. Manhattan-ish, it is a drink I will have again.

The risk is that Red Stag may confuse further a consumer who is already uncertain about what different kinds of spirits really are, but I like it when producers take risks. Therefore, if you like this sort of thing, give Red Stag a try.

post-5-14489815309618_thumb.jpg

Based on your post, if I see it, I'll probably try it.

How new is it? When should I expect to see it in Northern Indiana?

Hmmmm. Not sure I'd want to spring for a 750. Maybe if a smaller bottle comes along.

When I first saw the title of your post, I thought perhaps Red Stag represented Beam's move up-market to challenge the really expensive niche whiskeys such as PVW or Buffalo Trace's Antique Collection. In my view, their premium brands don't do that. Maybe it's meant to compete against some of the experimentals BT is making.

It's brand new, but it should be at retail very soon if it isn't already.

I don't know a retail price, but I expect it will be more than JB white but less than black. If that's not where it is, or the same as one of them, they're making a mistake. It's Jim Beam white plus flavoring, so that's where it should be.

As for who it's positioned against, I would say they're going after the drinker of flavored vodka, but they're really on new ground here. It may also play in the same space as Wild Turkey American Honey, although it's not a liqueur.

A lot of people here won't like this. I'm not a big cocktails guy, but I like them well enough to like this. Ditto with liqueurs, although I don't drink straight liqueurs very often and even this is close to being too sweet.

I suppose it was inevitable. Like Absolut and Bacardi, I'm sure we'll be seeing all manner of flavored Bourbons soon, from coconut to peach to chocolate. Hey, if someone wants to drink it, fine by me; it just isn't my thing.

I'm sure it will be over here with a different name in a year or two.

The right proof too!

Beam won't be mentioned though.

I suppose it was inevitable. Like Absolut and Bacardi, I'm sure we'll be seeing all manner of flavored Bourbons soon, from coconut to peach to chocolate. Hey, if someone wants to drink it, fine by me; it just isn't my thing.

Isn't there Philips Union out your way? (And for that matter Southern Comfort!)

However, having tasted Sweet Lucy, I have to agree with your last sentence!

Any predictions on the filing date of a trade-dress complaint by Buffalo Trace/Sazerac over the use of antlers and "Stag"?

Any of our attorneys care to weigh in?

Likelihood of confusion?

Secondary meaning?

Similarity of market or distribution channels?

Any predictions on the filing date of a trade-dress complaint by Buffalo Trace/Sazerac over the use of antlers and "Stag"?

Likelihood of confusion?

Secondary meaning?

I had only read the post title and not even seen the bottle before I was thinking this.

Likelihood of confusion?

Secondary meaning?

BT will wait until it gets marketed wide enough and Beam has spent some cash getting the name out to the general public before filing the trade-name infringment lawsuit. Sure the lawyers at Beam are prepared for this. Usually have to run this through legal before porceeding (marketing & selling). But who knows - lawyers aren't always the brightest (sorry Doc, know to many lawyers who think too highly of themselves and make major mistakes)

TJ

Likelihood of confusion?

Secondary meaning?

I'm not a copyright/trademark lawyer, but it seems like Beam would have a defense here: Red Stag, a flavored Bourbon, vs. George T. Stagg, a high-proof sipping Bourbon. The Beam label looks nothing like the GTS bottle and prominently states it is a Jim Beam product. Is there really likely to be much confusion?

There's also Stag's Leap wine and there are prominent antlers (much closer to the GTS label) on The Dalmore. I believe there is also a blended Scotch known as Highland Stag, though I'm not sure if it's available in the US.

Abraham Lincoln is reputed to have said, about a book, “if you like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing you will like.†.

I absolutely love that quote!!!

Lincoln would have been a success in our new millenium of Democrats-Republicans-Media bullsh*t talking points policy making schemes.

To answer your question, Jim Beam tells BourbonBlog.com that Red Stag will be on the shelves for sale this June. Tom

:lol: Nice plug, Tom! :lol:

Were it Beam Black with flavoring I'd be more likely to buy a bottle. As things stand, reading through this thread leaves me wondering if anyone makes black cherry bitters. I'm thinking along the lines of an Old Fashioned made with Weller Antique and black cherry bitters. That sounds a lot better. But who knows, I just may buy a bottle of Red Stag.

As things stand, reading through this thread leaves me wondering if anyone makes black cherry bitters.

Fee Brothers makes a cherry bitters, but I've never tried it. I'm not aware of a black cherry.

I'm not surprised they use the Jim Beam name. It's the world's best-selling bourbon, right? It's available in every bar.

They used the name on the Beam & Cola back in the '80s, so it's not as if they haven't used the name before when targeting people that aren't straight bourbon drinkers.

lawyers aren't always the brightest (sorry Doc, know to many lawyers who think too highly of themselves and make major mistakes)

TJ

No offense. I'm not a lawyer. :grin:

There's also Stag's Leap wine and there are prominent antlers (much closer to the GTS label) on The Dalmore. I believe there is also a blended Scotch known as Highland Stag, though I'm not sure if it's available in the US.

Stag's Leap is a geographical region in Napa Valley, and geographical locations are fairly open domain.

I think the overlap would be this: Both bourbons, both use antlers, both use a variation of the same word: /s/t/a/g/

BT might not win, but it certainly will challenge.

As for the Red Stag itself, I'm not interested in the product. I might try it in a 50ml bottle.

Stag's Leap is a geographical region in Napa Valley, and geographical locations are fairly open domain.

I think the overlap would be this: Both bourbons, both use antlers, both use a variation of the same word: /s/t/a/g/.

Going by your first statement about geographic regions...by the same token, George T. Stagg is the name of a person and a stag is a deer, so they don't really imply the same thing. The antlers are similar, but I don't really think BT would have a legitimate complaint here.

As for the product, it sounds nasty...thanks Chuck for the heads-up, I will be sure to avoid it unless I can get a 50ml.

Barton never got as much free advertising as when it got sued by BF.

What better way to get free publicity than for the 800lb gorilla in the room to throw its weight around a little.

I bet they settle for less than the cost of real advertising.

Enough philosophizing about law, something I disrespect often and know very little about.

I am a fan of infused whiskey. I have done both natural and artificially flavored cherry infusions. Some with and some without sugar added.

Unsweetened Black Cherries make a great infusion.

Just like I might buy premade Julep every so often (not very often), I'd give this a go.

How convenient. I've made my infusions with a variety of Shelve Height Bourbons and find that using premiums is often of little influence and possibly an injustice.

I've made great bourbons into mediocre infusions, a true achievement in alchemy.

(This from the man who crossed a flounder with a jellyfish in an attempt to get filet of flounder. A bony jellyfish was pretty useless)

I can confirm what Tom said. June 1 is the official release date.

On the rocks with a healthy splash of Stirrings Blood Orange Bitters, it's a tasty drink.

This is aimed at the flavored vodka crowd, the "I'll try anything" crowd, and the "cocktail creation is my life" crowd. It is not intended for most of the people here.

Something that occurred to me. The ultimate infusion is barrel aging itself.

• 1 month later...

I'm interested in trying this so I have been keeping an eye out for it. I know it has a June release date but I thought maybe a little of it might be released early. Most of the retailers I have asked don't seem to have a clue about it.

Has anyone seen Red Stag on the shelf yet?

Has anyone seen Red Stag on the shelf yet?

I saw Red Stag on the shelf yesterday -- my local grocery store got ri(1), Beam Rye & Red Stag for the first time this week.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.