A flask of

bonneamie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

JB Distillers series is what I'm taking in my checked luggage to the Holy Land, that would be Israel, not Kentucky :grin:. While there, in between visiting significant religious sites, I hope to find a store selling liquor. I'm curious to know what's available there. Anyone know or been there? I'm also seeing churches and such things in Rome and I know from past visits to Italy that american liquor is pretty expensive and limited in variety. But then, there's all that good inexpensive wine!!

I'm not taking a laptop (it was stolen the other day from my house--see where I live) but I'll let you all know in a few weeks if I find anything good, or anything at all!

JB Distillers series is what I'm taking in my checked luggage to the Holy Land, that would be Israel, not Kentucky :grin:

Thanks for clearing that up.

Seriously, I thought you meant Kentucky.

I will be visiting the other holy land in April for the Spring Sampler. See you there!

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been notified by Amy that she is returning with a "Jerusalem Bourbon Story". Stay tuned kids.

I have just been notified by Amy that she is returning with a "Jerusalem Bourbon Story". Stay tuned kids.

I was picturing one of the odd brand Japanese bourbon bottles that we have seen pictures of here.

What would be on the label of Jerusalem Bourbon? The mind boggles. :slappin:

Sounds like someone is finally taking the laws of tithing from Deuteronomy 14 seriously:

22 "You shall tithe all the yield of your seed that comes from the field year by year. 23And before the LORD your God, in the place that he will choose, to make his name dwell there, you shall eat the tithe of your grain, of your wine, and of your oil, and the firstborn of your herd and flock, that you may learn to fear the LORD your God always. 24And if the way is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, when the LORD your God blesses you, because the place is too far from you, which the LORD your God chooses, to set his name there, 25then you shall turn it into money and bind up the money in your hand and go to the place that the LORD your God chooses 26and spend the money for whatever you desire—oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the LORD your God and rejoice, you and your household.

I was picturing one of the odd brand Japanese bourbon bottles that we have seen pictures of here.

What would be on the label of Jerusalem Bourbon? The mind boggles. :slappin:

Ancient Arava Valley, a Tradition for 5,700 Years.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here's what I saw at the one store I saw whiskey in. This was a tiny corner market that sold some groceries but had a whole wall of wine and spirits. The sign on the store was in arabic but we didn't get into a discussion of religion so they may have been Christian Arabs, but anyway I got a really good bottle of Mt. Hermon red wine for about $12.00. On the shelf there was JBB and JBW and WT 101 8 yo. I had been asked to watch for the WT while abroad so I asked what it cost: 289 Shekels which converts to $70 American. Ouch! The same stuff was available at the Newark NJ duty free shop for $21. I wonder if the high price was a sin tax or just the cost of importing.

Flying home with bottles in the luggage makes the bags very heavy. I ended up not getting any whiskey while abroad and limited myself to 3 bottles of wine. I might add, too, that everything was intact when I got home except the flask of bourbon, which leaked in the plastic bag I had it sealed in. I suspect that a luggage inspector had to open it to see what it was.

After several weeks abroad I have butone question. WHY was there anything left in the flask?

All kidding aside, having lived abroad (europe) for a year, there are some truely wonderful liquors that we never see here available. I wish I could find some of them today. Some of the worse, and in many ways the best were the many "local traditions" (read moonshine in the states) that survive. I had quite a few different family brandys in Belguim that I'm pretty sure would burst into flames on a moderatly warm day if not cellered!

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.