Tell me about the nose

submarine
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I opened some Russell's Reserve yesterday and found the nose to be fantastic. I don't know what I smell here but I sure do like it. The funny thing is I got so involved enjoying and trying to identify what was going on in the nose department I wasn't able to really taste the RR. I mean, I tasted it but my ability to determine much about it was quickly compromised (don't know if it was the larger glass, the additional 15 proof or both) blush.gif

Can somebody point me to a post/thread on "how to smell 101"

I did a search but had no luck.

John F

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Hell we'll do better than that subdudeski! I bumped up a long thread on R's R. Just sit back and drink in the knowledge.

Thanks Linn, I'm reading that thread now but in the second post you wrote;

"It's only faults are that the nose is unbalanced and top heavy with oak"

That means I either enjoy "unbalanced" or "top heavy oak"

confused.gif

Perhaps as time goes by and I learn more about this wonderful spirit and how to discern things like vanilla, and plum I'll figure it out.

For now all I can say is that I like it... A lot!

John F

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Well hell John - you wouldn't know an unbalanced oak heavy bourbon if it fell on you! Get real! Take off your pants and dance. With Knob Creek that's all you really need to know.

Take off my pants, and dance with knob creek???

I had my mitts on some yesterday but had already decided on the RR. The store doesn’t close for five hours yet tongue.gif

My wife is unable to understand what's going on, must be like when I say "didn't you just by two pairs of shoes last week?"

John F

I suspect that you and I have quite a bit in common regarding the desire to do things "the right way". (In my case it's partly due to my engineering, accounting, system analyst background; I can't help it.) Sometimes I have to remind myself that if I'm enjoying what I'm doing, I must be doing it right. Take a lesson from that if you wish.

Having said that, I find it fascinating to try the same bourbon in a variety of glasses. In my experience the degree of concentration of the nose is the aspect most affected by the design of the glassware. At one end of the spectrum is a nearly full shot glass, where the normal circulation of air seems to whisk away much of the aroma. At the other end is the Glencairn glass (see thread in Paraphernalia forum), which captures and concentrates the vapors arising from the surface of the bourbon. In between would be something like an old-fashioned glass or possibly a large brandy snifter

Another thing to try is inhaling through both the nose and mouth just as you raise the glass to your lips to take a sip. I swear that I can "taste" vapors on my tongue, in addition to the receptors inside the nasal cavity, when I do this.

In any case, welcome to the Bird Brotherhood, as I believe Tom C dubbed it. I'm sipping a glass of RR right now, and I can hardly wait to finish this glass and pour another. I guess that's a reflection of a finish that's as enjoyable as the nose and the palate. Balanced or not, it surely tickles my fancy. (Many years ago I felt the same way about Dolly Parton. blush.gif )

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

"I suspect that you and I have quite a bit in common regarding the desire to do things "the right way".......

Dave,

How did I give myself away in such few posts?

Don't worry I'm having a blast but to confirm your suspicions.

Prior to reading your post I was already testing with three different glasses and yesterday I picked up a 4th. I've been doing plenty of reading and research, as well as going over a few hours of old posts from this site.

I've made a couple of lists based on what I've read and started my bourbon experience with OF, RR, and KC.

I'm trying to learn everything I can, and have my next Acquire list ready and it includes Blanton's, Kentucky Spirit, & Virginia Gentleman 'the fox'. I tried my local bookstore but struck out confused.gif

All of this has taken place in less than three weeks. : Smirk:

John

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
blush.gif OOPs! John you were talking about Russell's Reserve and I was drinking Knob Creek! Therefore I had KC on and in the brain. Oh well Russell's Reserve can dance just as well as Knob Creek and they are both four pants bourbons, so you just can't loose with either one. smirk.gif Since we're talking about small batch bourbons here I'm going to go ahead and pop this down into the proper forum.

"Therefore I had KC on and in the brain"

That's ok, because within a few hours I had some on my brain as well. grin.gifgrin.gif

John

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.