Weird St. Patrick's Day Drinks

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Naturally, I'm getting stuff from PR folks pushing St. Patrick's Day drinks, but I thought the following were weird enough to be interesting. They were created by some of Chicago's top mixologists.

I can't vouch for any of them because I haven't tried them.

The back story, according to the press release, is that most Irishmen and women enjoy a traditional breakfast of whiskey, eggs, rashers (bacon), black and white pudding and toast. That's the inspiration for these drinks.

Gallic Flip

Charles Joly, The Drawing Room

1 1/4 oz. Bushmills Irish Whiskey

1 oz. Punt e Mes (or equivalent sweet vermouth)

1 barspoon (1/8 oz.) St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram

1/3 oz. Simple Syrup

1 Whole Egg

Combine all ingredients in mixing glass. Dry shake (without ice) to emulsify. Add ice and shake well, strain into Irish coffee mug. Grate fresh nutmeg over top.

Irish Bacon Sour

Adam Seger, Nacional 27

1 1/2 oz Apple-Bacon Infused Bushmills Irish Whiskey

1 oz. fresh Lemon Juice

1/2 oz. Quality Maple Syrup

1/2 oz. Egg white

Build in a 16 oz. pint glass and shake vigorously with fresh ice until shaker is frosted. Strain into a chilled martini glass. Optional garnish: Strip of Irish bacon laid across top of martini glass with a quarter hard boiled egg on top.

Apple-Bacon Infused Bushmills Irish Whiskey

2 chopped, green apples

7 slices of Thick Cut Irish Bacon, fully cooked and excess fat removed

750 ml of Bushmills Irish Whiskey

Mix apples, bacon and Bushmills in pitcher. Refrigerate for 72 hours. Strain and freeze overnight. Remove the excess fat and bottle.

Naturally, I'm getting stuff from PR folks pushing St. Patrick's Day drinks, but I thought the following were weird enough to be interesting. They were created by some of Chicago's top mixologists.

I can't vouch for any of them because I haven't tried them.

The back story, according to the press release, is that most Irishmen and women enjoy a traditional breakfast of whiskey, eggs, rashers (bacon), black and white pudding and toast. That's the inspiration for these drinks.

Gallic Flip

Charles Joly, The Drawing Room

1 1/4 oz. Bushmills Irish Whiskey

1 oz. Punt e Mes (or equivalent sweet vermouth)

1 barspoon (1/8 oz.) St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram

1/3 oz. Simple Syrup

1 Whole Egg

Combine all ingredients in mixing glass. Dry shake (without ice) to emulsify. Add ice and shake well, strain into Irish coffee mug. Grate fresh nutmeg over top.

Irish Bacon Sour

Adam Seger, Nacional 27

1 1/2 oz Apple-Bacon Infused Bushmills Irish Whiskey

1 oz. fresh Lemon Juice

1/2 oz. Quality Maple Syrup

1/2 oz. Egg white

Build in a 16 oz. pint glass and shake vigorously with fresh ice until shaker is frosted. Strain into a chilled martini glass. Optional garnish: Strip of Irish bacon laid across top of martini glass with a quarter hard boiled egg on top.

Apple-Bacon Infused Bushmills Irish Whiskey

2 chopped, green apples

7 slices of Thick Cut Irish Bacon, fully cooked and excess fat removed

750 ml of Bushmills Irish Whiskey

Mix apples, bacon and Bushmills in pitcher. Refrigerate for 72 hours. Strain and freeze overnight. Remove the excess fat and bottle.

No offense but...YUK!!!!!!!

I love a good Irish Breakfast and I love Irish Whiskey but any combination of the two is bad news!

Anything beyond:

1) Guiness or Harp

2) Irish whiskey

3) poitin

4) hard cider

.... is weird.

In a local store, there was an add for Jameson and American Honey simple a 50-50 mix of the two called Irish Honey.

I think that would work well.

Castle brands has a product called Celtic Crossing that is a liqueur with an Irish whiskey base. It's very tasty. Castle also sells the Knappogue Castle and Clontarf brands of Irish whiskey.

The "Gallic Flip" sounds like the only one that may not be gag worthy. I don't mind raw egg in food and drinks. (I make a version of a fruit smoothie using partially frozen strawberries, heavy cream and a couple raw eggs.) But that sure sounds like a lot of vermouth. I'm unfamiliar with Punt e Mes, so I looked it up. If it really is not cloyingly sweet, it may not be too bad.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.