Colorados' Own Corn Whisky

gr8erdane
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A few weeks ago when Emerald dropped in for a visit and dusty hunt I ran into a brand new bottling with a simple label.

Colorados' Own 100% Straight Corn Whiskey. Label is khaki with black lettering and bottle is squared off almost like an ETL. Only other information on the front is that it's 40% Alcohol By Volume (80 Proof) and 750 ml. On the back it says Distilled From Grain and then Distilled and Bottled by COLORADO GOLD DISTILLERY, 1290 S Grand Mesa Drive, Ste C, Cedaredge, CO 81413.

The whiskey is very pale yellow and the nose is definitely corn. Taste is almost watered down white dog. The finish is almost nonexistent. The first few times I tried it was after already consuming some bourbon and it was a real mild pour. Last night I tried it first and it had a bit more bite to it.

It's not a bourbon I suppose as there is no indication of cooperage used or if it's aged at all other than the fact that it's not completely clear. Evidently they have already released Colorado Gold Vodka prior to this product and it dominates their web site although it seems they are preselling their bourbon (which I assume is the aged version of this product) at the following web site:

http://www.coloradogolddistillery.com/bourbon.html

I'm ordering a bottle reserved and will be looking forward to presenting a taste at the following Gazebo after I get it.

OK, just ordered a couple of bottles reserved. They are taking 50% down payment over the phone and are planning on bottling and availability for pickup is April 15 2010. Should be in plenty of time for me to bring to the 2010 Sampler Gazebo.

Also over the phone was informed that they use 81% corn in their mashbill but that's all I thought to ask. She tried to tell me that Bourbon had to be over 80% corn and I don't think I was able to persuade her otherwise.

Dane,

Very interesting but if I read the web site correctly, you won't have your boubon by the 2010 samper.

Our first production sized run of Colorado Gold Single Barrel Bourbon will be in April of 2010.

What we have aging now is already sold and interest in future barrels is high.

That sounds like what you just paid $28.80 for, plus tax, won't be distilled until next April and, therefore, won't be ready before April, 2012.

A few weeks ago when Emerald dropped in for a visit and dusty hunt I ran into a brand new bottling with a simple label.

Colorados' Own 100% Straight Corn Whiskey. Label is khaki with black lettering and bottle is squared off almost like an ETL. Only other information on the front is that it's 40% Alcohol By Volume (80 Proof) and 750 ml. On the back it says Distilled From Grain and then Distilled and Bottled by COLORADO GOLD DISTILLERY, 1290 S Grand Mesa Drive, Ste C, Cedaredge, CO 81413.

The whiskey is very pale yellow and the nose is definitely corn. Taste is almost watered down white dog. The finish is almost nonexistent. The first few times I tried it was after already consuming some bourbon and it was a real mild pour. Last night I tried it first and it had a bit more bite to it.

It's not a bourbon I suppose as there is no indication of cooperage used or if it's aged at all other than the fact that it's not completely clear.

Actually they said that they had the 2010 release barrelled already and aging so their idea of a run must be bottling. And you're spot on the price. A bit pricey but in line with Stranahan's and it's just a malt whiskey, no corn. I'm wondering if the weather patterns are as mild there as they are here on the eastern slope where the weather is more moderate. I think it will be hard to age the whiskey without Kentuckyesqe hot and cold seasons.

I'm thinking you're right Josh, that they barrelled this Corn Whiskey in used cooperage in order to keep the cost cheap while recouping some working capital. There are wineries in that region of Colorado (but then again where isn't there wineries these days?) so it may even be toasted cooperage for a short bit. Until I get a chance to visit there it's all speculation.

Hello to you all, this is coop, head distiller at Colorado Gold Distillery in Cedaredge Colorado. I just wanted to post a few answers to your conversation about my corn whiskey. It is a true corn whiskey as labeled. Short time in used barrels just to give it color and some flavers of the barrel. Corn whiskey has been around for generations, even before Bourbon. Federal laws dictate name and handeling. There is nothing on our website about it as no time to re do. Just working to keep up with the demand. I did not want another clear moonshine out their without any flavors from the barrel. We have the real stough in the back and hope to have between 12 to 15 barrels of Bourbon ageing by the time 4/15/2010 botteling date comes up.

The weather over here on the western slope has all the needed temp variances only without the extream humidity. We take extra car in producing the alcohol here as the better alcohol going into the barrels the better alcohol coming out. Nothing is spared. We sell our award winning Vodka (Silver Medal 2008 BTI tastings out of 110 entries) a smoth well flavored Gin and of course Colorados Own Corn Whiskey. And of course Guru is right, we need to sell other products while waiting out the ageing process for the real drink, Bourbon.

Thank you for your purchases, I sometimes lay awake at night just waiting for the release date even though it is my job, as it is in my job description to often have to draw a taste of the good stough just to see how it is doing. Of course I wrote the job description.

You all need to come over the mountain for a tour and tase as we do these on a daily basis. The retail store is closed on Sunday and Monday but for me duty calls whenever a mash run is needed or a distillation is ready. So if you truck is their, we are open. Thanks for visiting our web site and we hope to get it updated ASAP to reflect all our hand mand products. Thanks again, Coop

Thanks for the update Coop, I'm looking forward to a trip in the near future to visit. Barb was very helpful and delightful to talk to.

Yay, Coop! Good to hear it from the horse's mouth. I lived out in Montrose, CO for a while and have been through Cedaredge more than a few times. There's good wineries over that way, as well, & it's good to see some good whiskey added to the mix, keep up the good work!

When I drink this, the nose smells just like corn syrup. The taste is a split between that corn syrup and some fresh corn tortillas.

It's good on its own, but I enjoy it a lot more after I've been drinking bourbon. You don't notice any burn after that.

About how much bourbon do you have to drink before the corn whiskey starts to taste good? :) :) :)

I really enjoy while I'm drinking bourbon. When I'm deciding on my next pour, I'll take a quick sip of the Colorado Corn Whiskey. At that point, the burn is almost non existent and it's thick, not oily in the mouth. It's got a corn syrup/corn tortilla taste that's really quite nice.

• 1 month later...
When I drink this, the nose smells just like corn syrup. The taste is a split between that corn syrup and some fresh corn tortillas.

It's good on its own, but I enjoy it a lot more after I've been drinking bourbon. You don't notice any burn after that.

I just got a "jar" of Georgia Moon Corn Whiskey. You guys know anything about this stuff? It says its bottled by The Johnson DistillingCo. In Bardstown, Ky.

It does have a corn tortilla tast to it. I don't care much for it though. I think if it was aged it might be OK.

Brian

I just got a "jar" of Georgia Moon Corn Whiskey. You guys know anything about this stuff? It says its bottled by The Johnson DistillingCo. In Bardstown, Ky.

It does have a corn tortilla tast to it. I don't care much for it though. I think if it was aged it might be OK.

Brian

Here are some links to previous threads:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11027&highlight=georgia+moon

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6457&highlight=georgia+moon

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8957&highlight=georgia+moon

• 9 months later...
Dane,

Very interesting but if I read the web site correctly, you won't have your boubon by the 2010 samper.

That sounds like what you just paid $28.80 for, plus tax, won't be distilled until next April and, therefore, won't be ready before April, 2012.

I sent an e-mail asking about availability and received a reply

stating that "We do still have bottles out of our very first

bourbon barrel that will be ready at the end of April 2010 for sale. "

Unfortunately they don't ship out of state but suggested setting

up something with a licensed alcohol retailer (local liquor store)

which I just might do.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.