Superb Scotches

Bob
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

At the Whiskyfest, I had the opportunity to try many wonderful whiskies that are out of my price range, which I want to share. My friends and I tried 2 Macallans that were wonderful: the 30 year old, and their Cask Strength bottlings. Both are influenced by the Sherry Casks, with beautiful color and aroma, and ultra smooth. We sampled Bowmore's 21 Year Old and 30 Year old. Both were quite good, with both having some peat influence, as well as some saltiness. The 30 had some unique flavors which I could not quite place, but it was definitely a treat to taste this one. I know that I enjoyed Highland Park's 25 Year Old, but beyond that, I can't recall the specifics of its taste/aroma. I do know that Laphroaig's 30 Year Old was one of my favorites of the evening. It was darker in color than their younger bottlings, due to the sherry casks from which it was bottled. It had a HUGE aroma, and flavor of peat, salt and smoke that I love. The flavors were complex, but combined nicely, for a thouroughly enjoyable dram. My buddies got a chance to taste Dalmore's 30 Year Old, which they said was great, but it was all gone by the time I went to check it out.

Bob

Jono,

It was such a great evening, that I wonder if there's a way I might get to go to 2 events next year, Chicago and NY! The variety of whiskies that were available was mind boggling. It looks as though the folks at Malt Advocate are lining up some excellent speakers for the Chicago event.

Bob

Do they ever have this event in L.A.?

Yours truly,

Dave "I wouldn't travel to Chicago in March on a bet" Morefield

There is not a WhiskyFest on the West coast that I know of. frown.gif There is a Whisky Expo each March in San Fransisco that is of similar quality. tongue.gif

Come on Dave, nothing like wet, cold and dreary March weather to drink whiskey by...add a nice hotel, great views, fine cigars, blues history and bars....a little trip could turn out fine. Really, with environmentally controlled homes and buildings the weather is a minor annoyance...just dash from the cab to a warm hotel lobby! grin.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.