Jack Daniels' Gold Medal

funknik
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In my main dusty spot (which is now, mostly, a former dusty spot), I have whittled everything down, but noticed something again that I have kept overlooking. I knew these were there, but never paid much attention . . . several Jack Daniels' Gold Medal bottles in cardboard boxes. I thought the date was 1841, but I didn't pay close attention . . . looking through the very few previous posts on this, I have gleaned that there were several variations released under different "years." Looking at the various bottles, this is definitely one of the short variety, I would guess the 1904.

I'm not especially interested in JD, but it's about $7 less than the SB and about $8 more than the Gentleman Jack -- I'm wondering if it's worth trying (or buying all up for trade bait).

I haven't seen any discussion about this on the board for the last few years. Who can tell me more about this?

I talked to the Master Taster at Jack durring a grand opening at a local liquor store....He said it was just regular Jack Black bottled at 90 proof.

I bought a bottle a few years back...haven't opened it yet.

I talked to the Master Taster at Jack durring a grand opening at a local liquor store....He said it was just regular Jack Black bottled at 90 proof.

I bought a bottle a few years back...haven't opened it yet.

Thanks, Jeff. I don't think I'll buy them for drinking, then . . . they seem to get a pretty good price on eBay . . . :rolleyes:

. . . that just ain't right.

I prefer to wait to open a bottle until I get a second for the bunker....and I don't see that happening.

I have 1 of 2 1981 Gold Medal's open that I bought and it was not a wise "consumption" purchase. At almost double the cost it's all about the bottle. It does look nice in the cabinet, but I don't visit it very often. I feel guilty for drinking it. Actually I should probably go ahead and polish it off so it will stop reminding me that I'm an ignorant fool.

• 1 month later...

i don't know.

i actually liked the 90 version. was different, sure, but not 'lesser'...just different. same with the GJ....in deep autumn, sure, it's not what i like...but i am finding that i do like it on cooler spring days. and today!

but i polished off a 1981 'commemorative' bottle and it was a totally different beast than that ghastly 80 proof...10 degrees of proof must make a big difference chemically and to the taste buds...

I saw the 1981 bottle you were talking about in.a DC store for around 23 bucks so I said what the heck. I have not opened it yet so I cant tell you much about it but the price seemed right.

• 2 months later...

slight bump...:rolleyes:

went back to the store in new castle DE and bought the last bottle ("amsterdam 1981) on the shelf...$26 or so....it's a totally different beast than no. 7 black....and GJ (both at 80).

this is smooth with a slight bite and i guess closer to what JD used to be like. though 'light' compared to what i prefer (in deep autumn), this is quite the year-round sip. i recommend grabbing a bottle (no matter what the year or bottle-shape is!) if you see one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.