Brandy

New2Whiskey
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone here ever heard of or tried Raynal brandy? Saw it at the store today but didn't get it. It was inexpensive, so I wasn't sure what to expect from it. I also saw E&J VSOP Superior Reserve but passed on that as well due to how unimpressed I was with their baseline offering.

Eric

They sell Raynal at my local and I bought some last year for eggnog mix. Not the best and I prefer the E&J XO at the same price point.

You know, I shouldn't even be looking at brandy right now. I've got too many bourbon choices that I haven't tried yet!

• 7 months later...

I purchased and tasted Ferrand Ambre. Very excellent cognac. Has anyone had any recents finds for some great brandy?

• 3 weeks later...

Eric, Raynal is pretty good inexpensive French brandy. You might want to try St. Remy. The XO is very good. St. Remy is the most popular French brandy.

It's good for the price.

• 8 months later...
I used to like Asbach Uralt. But that was more than 15 years ago, I was young/dumb. Has anyone else had Asbach recently, and can you give it a good recommendation?

That's very interesting about the Daniel Bouju. You've named some pretty well-regarded marques that it trumps. I'd like to try this and (of course) decide for "moi-meme".

Gary

I have to agree the Martel Cordon Bleu is the good stuff! My norm however is Marie Duffau Napoleon Armagnac

I'll second the Marie Duffau, although the wax is a major pain to remove when opening the bottle.

• 2 months later...

I'm not very familiar with brandy, but came across some Germain-Robin Old Havana on closeout and couldn't pass it up. There's not much info out there on this product, though I've read that is it aged 14 years and a blend of many grapes - the website says "20 component brandies, from nine premium varietals distilled over four harvest years. Lush intensity appeals to admirers of armagnac. Particular relevance to the flavors of Cuban leaf." I also read that "Germain-Robin stopped bottling Old Havana in 2001. Recently they discovered a barrel, now 6 years older. It's wonderful: rich, fruity, mellow." I'm guessing this is the original bottling, not the more aged one, but I have no idea.

In any case, this stuff is pretty spectacular, and reminds me a lot of Pappy. I haven't tasted enough brandy to compare much, but would love to hear if anyone else has tasted this and how they compare it to other brandies or well aged bourbons.

• 1 month later...

While I am willing to spend for quality when required, I have found an inexpensive brandy that I like very much. I spent a couple of months in the Philippines (spread over a year) in 2001 and become accustomed to drinking Fundador Spanish brandy. The Filipinos make an amazing rum (Tanduay) but the prejudice is that you drink Spanish brandy if you can afford it. I can get Fundador for less than $20 a bottle and love it. Yes, I can enjoy more expensive pours, but Fundador is the brandy I keep on hand. I also keep a bottle of WL Weller Special Reserve on hand for the same reason: great value for the money. A great marketing organization does NOT necessarily mean a better product.

My brandy reccomendation? Bourbon.

Let me explain. In an effort to become a well-rounded person, I tried to force myself to develop a taste for brandy for years. Then, after almost pouring out a bottle of Napolean brandy a couple years ago, I realized that I just don't like the stuff and I never will.

The only thing bearing the name "brandy" that I still drink is Laird's apple brandy, preferably the BiB. But I drink that mostly because to me it tastes like an American whiskey more than it tastes like a fruit brandy.

All that said, I think the one I disliked the least from those days was El Presidente.

Last night I poured about 5 ounces of Laird's Apple Brandy through about 4 tablespoons of Buffalo Trace used barrel char and a coffee filter. I would say that only the nose would keep a whiskey drinker from thinking it was a bourbon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.