What's the best way to sell my collection?

lovejones
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It seems that some of you think there should be a litmus test to see if folks are worthy of selling bottles, regardless of the legality. You'll need to figure out how long something must be kept before it is sold, how much is reasonable profit (if any is allowed in Utopia), and of course, the most important issue. Is the seller a bourbon drinker or just a collector and should he or she be allowed to sell.

It seems to me that some that rail against eBay also are ardent supporters of seemingly unregulated capitalism. Go figure!

On another note, last year I did buy that $10 bottle of OF BIB from about 1982. Found in an old party store in midtown Detroit. It's called good luck.

I resemble the last remark. I'm no fan of ebay and am an ardent capitalist. Chuck's point is that buying and selling alcohol on ebay is in violation of numerous laws. Many here have complained about the arcane liquor distribution system and laws we have here in the US (I'm one of them). So write your congressman, your senator, govenor, et al and try to get the laws changed. Then let capitalism run free. But in the meantime, ebayers are breaking the law. BTW, I did write my legislators when the "wine shipping" issue was being heard in Texas.

I've never sold anything on ebay (not just alcohol, but anything). My problem with ebay is that they are allowing several parties on their site to essentially run a liquor store there. Many are selling things currently available on most shelves. Ebay isn't interested in enforcing its own policies here. The ebayers are selling without a license, I suspect. And I'm sure they are verifying that no sales go to minors.:skep: We have a number of board members who are in the legitimate alcohol retail trade.....and the laws add costs and place restrictions on activities that prevent them from doing what the ebayers are doing.

Randy

It is nice to hear that Sweden isn’t the only country in the world with a lot of idiotic laws concerning alcohol. To our defence we can at least claim that the “common†people consider breaking most (but not all) of these laws are not a crime at all, but rather positive “rebel†behaviour.

Leif

I'm a proud capitalist pig and have sold many items on ebay. I did sell one alcohol item; a bottle of Tanquery Mallaca Gin (a long discontinued item).

Yes, I put all the ebay fine print in my auction including statement including "The value of the item is in the collectible container, not its contents." The buyer of my item complained and filed a chargeback against me because about 1/4 oz had leaked out during shipping. I thought no problem - I sold item for the container, not the contents so ebay will enforce there own policy? Wrong!

It proves even ebay does not believe in it's own alcohol policy.

If some of the fluid leaked out during shipping, you sent him a damaged product. The seal was broken, and therefore the collectible value of the item went down, right? That's probably how ebay looked at it.

Most of the hostility to eBay has to do with people who quickly scoop up limited editions like the BTAC and immediately post them on eBay at ridiculous prices.

To expand on this, the ONLY reason they are successful doing this is because it's illegal. If the distillers or liquor stores could legitimately sell their products by mail to anyone, there would be no market for these ebay sellers.

To expand on this, the ONLY reason they are successful doing this is because it's illegal. If the distillers or liquor stores could legitimately sell their products by mail to anyone, there would be no market for these ebay sellers.

I don't know about that. look at the number of retailers that are willing to ship- you can find things like GTS online for decent prices. I think the ebay sellers work because after everything is said and done and those kind of whiskies are gone from most everywhere, that bottle for exorbitant prices will still be waiting for someone on ebay.

That's a GREAT point.

I don't know about that. look at the number of retailers that are willing to ship- you can find things like GTS online for decent prices. I think the ebay sellers work because after everything is said and done and those kind of whiskies are gone from most everywhere, that bottle for exorbitant prices will still be waiting for someone on ebay.

A lot of places are willing to ship, but most are no longer able to ship, legally.

From what I understand, this is all fallout from Granholm vs. Heald.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.