Whiskey stores in Toronto?

jpact
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi. Not sure where to post this, but foreign whiskey seems like a good place to start. Anyway, I'm heading to Toronto in eary June and wonder if there are any well-stocked whiskey stores to visit. Anything specific to the Canada market that I should be on the lookout for, whether Canadian or Scotch? Or should I just plan on taking advantage of travel retail / duty free in the airport and leave it at that. Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

It's all run by the LCBO:

http://www.lcbo.com/entry.html

They do have alot of special scotch that you can order and have sent to a liqour store prior to your arrival.

They also have Green Spot Irish Whisky. The LCBO is the only place in North America you can get it.

Also be aware that the liquor stores up here are limited in what they carry since its controlled by the provincial government. This means that the stores will all generally have the same product line. The only exceptions that I have seen were special orders that were not picked up so the items were placed on the shelf for quick sale.

Depending on where you will be staying:

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=opera&rls=en&sourceid=opera&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=toronto+lcbo&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&ei=_EofSsT9OsrqlAe0nKDTBQ&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&cd=1&resnum=1

Going to Canada you can pick up the JD Silver Select in the U.S. duty free. The Green Spot would be an ideal pick. There are some Canadian picks as well...Royal Crown Limited Edition or Alberta Springs etc.

The duty free at Pearson Intl Airport is pretty limited in selection so try to get to a regular LCBO.

Alberta Springs?....I take it that is popular in the U.S.? Where I live its Wiser's, Crown Royal line, and then Tangle Ridge followed by 40 Creek.

Thanks guys. This is very helpful. I'm going to be downtown (work related) so one of the Yonge street locations will work. Is the Green Spot normally stocked or do you think I should call ahead? -Jim

Given my experience with the BCLDB...I would suggest you call ahead. Sometimes the store product list has not been updated and will not accurately reflect what is on the shelf...

Thanks guys. This is very helpful. I'm going to be downtown (work related) so one of the Yonge street locations will work. Is the Green Spot normally stocked or do you think I should call ahead? -Jim

The LCBO has an interactive search. If you punch in the neighborhood in Toronto after doing a Green Spot search it will pull up locations/# in stock for you.

Alberta Springs?....I take it that is popular in the U.S.? Where I live its Wiser's, Crown Royal line, and then Tangle Ridge followed by 40 Creek.

Not so much that it is popular but it is not as widely available.

• 2 weeks later...

Figure I'll bring some closure to this thread by telling you what I ended up buying. I went to the LCBO that was just a block or two to the east of Queen's Quay and Yonge. Overall I was impressed; it was a large well-stocked liquor store with a great wine department, good spirits selections, and a respectable selection of behind-the-glass high-end whiskies. The bourbon selection was very vanilla compared to what I'm used to getting in St. Louis.

Unfortunately they were out of the Green Spot and short of ordering 6+ bottles, I'd have to pay for a store to store transfer. Not quite worth it, especially considering that I already have a bottle of it in the bunker.

Anyway, I ended up buying a Forty Creek Double Barrel Reserve, two 375ml plastic flasks of Alberta Premium (since this was all destined for checked luggage) and a 200ml bottle of icewine.

Interesting and rare-to-me stuff that I didn't buy included Alberta Springs 10 year-old, Glen Breton Canadian Single Malt, Locke's 8 year-old Irish Single Malt, Greenore Single Grain Irish, and AnCnoc 12 Year-old.

Finally, at the airport duty-free I picked up a Crown Royal Limited Edition and a Gibson's Finest 12 year-old. (Though I was awfully tempted by the Black Grouse, I'm hoping I can track it down locally.)

All in all, it was a very Canadian haul, and all whiskies that I have never tried nor can I buy them at home. Thanks again for your comments and advice. -Jim

I think the store bought volume was within the duty allowance..correct? And the airport duty free is duty free....so no duty payment on the total haul?

I suppose I pushed the envelope a bit. Best I can tell from some googling is that you are allowed to return from Canada with 1.0L of spirits duty-free. Anything above that could be taxed $2-$3/bottle. Funny thing about Pearson airport is that you go through US customs in Toronto before you even get to the duty-free shop. So I go through customs no-hassle with roughly double the allowance in my checked luggage, then send my luggage down to the plane, and then get to go shopping again. I was able to pick up 2 more bottles duty-free even though I was travelling alone. When I land in St. Louis I don't have to go through customs. I'm not really sure if there are any checks and balances in the system other than how much one is physically willing to carry. :grin:

http://gocanada.about.com/od/faqscrossingtheborde1/p/duty_free.htm

Figure I'll bring some closure to this thread by telling you what I ended up buying. I went to the LCBO that was just a block or two to the east of Queen's Quay and Yonge. Overall I was impressed; it was a large well-stocked liquor store with a great wine department, good spirits selections, and a respectable selection of behind-the-glass high-end whiskies. The bourbon selection was very vanilla compared to what I'm used to getting in St. Louis.

Unfortunately they were out of the Green Spot and short of ordering 6+ bottles, I'd have to pay for a store to store transfer. Not quite worth it, especially considering that I already have a bottle of it in the bunker.

Anyway, I ended up buying a Forty Creek Double Barrel Reserve, two 375ml plastic flasks of Alberta Premium (since this was all destined for checked luggage) and a 200ml bottle of icewine.

Interesting and rare-to-me stuff that I didn't buy included Alberta Springs 10 year-old, Glen Breton Canadian Single Malt, Locke's 8 year-old Irish Single Malt, Greenore Single Grain Irish, and AnCnoc 12 Year-old.

Finally, at the airport duty-free I picked up a Crown Royal Limited Edition and a Gibson's Finest 12 year-old. (Though I was awfully tempted by the Black Grouse, I'm hoping I can track it down locally.)

All in all, it was a very Canadian haul, and all whiskies that I have never tried nor can I buy them at home. Thanks again for your comments and advice. -Jim

Nice, that Forty Creek Doubel Barrel is quite good. So is Alberta Premium, though after having the Limited Edition I'm not sure I could ever go back to the standard 5 year old.

I hope you like the Crown LE. One of my favourite Canadians to be sure. Gibson's 12 is no slouch either.

Sounds like they have a great selection there. I've had anCnoc 12; decent and peculiar, but I'm not sure I'd buy it again. Alberta Springs is nice for cheap stuff. Glen Breton is not worth it. I'd love to try Locke's or Greenore.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.