BOTM 06/09: (WT) Russell's Reserve

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am new to bourbon having just been introduced to it in the form of a private label this past Christmas. Then in February I met Tom Bulleit at Fuzzy's Liquor Store in Sun Prairie. He autographed a bottle for me and it quickly became my favorite-until I tried Russell's Reserve. RR90 is a bit sweeter than Bulleit's but I love the explosion of almond and vanilla on the palate and the heavy, buttery complexion. Bulleit's is still an excellent whiskey and I'd put it right behind RR90 in the $20 per bottle price range with Eagle Rare in third. But then there are many others I have yet to try.

Just want to say that it's great to be revisiting previous BOTMs.

Impressions and bourbon expressions change over time. And newer members get to add their opinions as well.

Keep it up!

funny, in DE it sells for $34.99...and the RR RYE is around $30...

then again, the regular rye is around $25...but in PA, usually $18...:rolleyes:

I have been thoroughly enjoying the old label RR 90, big fan ... buying up multiple bottles for the bunker whenever I see it.

So yes, I was excited when I found a single new label bottle.

However, I did not care at all for the whiskey in the new label bottle. There is no way that it is the same whiskey that I have been drinking. It has a over predominate perfume taste that I can't get past. Had to choke down the glass. Hoping sometime open will mellow it out.

too bad.

I haven't tried too many WT products but the RR101 is one of my favourite bourbons. Here it retails for about $75 and it seems to be getting harder to find. I've managed to bunker a couple as they are well worth it IMO.

RR101 is one of my all time favs as it was one of the first bourbons I tried solely on recommendation from threads on SB.com. It educated me in the difference that can exist between a distillery's many different offerings, and to not judge a particular distillery solely on it's bottom shelfer. With that in mind, I can't wait to get out and try this RR90. I just have to make the time to drive to Cleveland or Akron to get it. The only decent bourbon I can find around here is EW single barrel.

Hey furnace1954, this is the first time I have seen a post from you.

Welcome aboard, if you haven't been welcomed already.

Furnace1954, nice post. I did the same thing. I have 4 bottles bunkered and would buy every bottle I can/could find.

Kendall

I really do dislike the whole marketing aspect of this product...

that being said, this juice is highly drinkable.

very very good.

I love the orig RR101 and wish it was still in production and the bottle it came in but there is nothing wrong with the RR90. It is very tasty, almost too easy to drink at 90 proof. heh.

The bottle did not last long, it disappeared scary fast, heh, and I will purchase more.

I do love WT and hope that this marketing appearance change & lower proof is successful for WT so that they can make secret stashes of RR101 for us that don't mind a normal looking bottle.

Rad! \m/ [/fantasy]

Cheers.

Phantos - A secret bottling of RR101, great idea, where do I sign up?

I have always been a fan of the WT family and was quite dissapointed when RR dropped to 90 proof. While I know it was more to do with marketing and profit than taste it really seems to have worked out. The latest versions of RR have become my goto pour, they have the tastes I'm looking for in the WT family and just goes down easy when I'm looking for a nice drink after work.

I'm a fan of the 10/101 version. I thought it was a decent pour when I first tried it but didn't share the enthusiasm so many on this forum have for it. It sat half empty for a few months and when I revisited it, WOW, loved it! Now I understand why it is so popular. It's tasty and balanced with a nice engaging finish.

I have to go back and read this thread, been avoiding reading it untill I bought mine.

It has been on my list to purchase this bottle since I had some at the sampler in April. At the Turkey table I think they had the Regular, Kentucky Spirit and RR. I tried the RR and KS as I had had the Regular before and couldnt stand it. I started out with the KS and moved to the RR with a favorable impression. Since then I have been meaning to purchase a bottle and just havent gotten to it all the while pursing various other esoteric bottlings.

Well the secret is out for me, I love this stuff. The finish is fantastic, the wood is appropriate, the mouth feel is smooth, and the experience laudable. I love the way the wood comes through like freshly sanded oak. The entire drink reminds me of Saz. Jr. but less sweet and a bit less spicy. I like this stuff alot.

I think I have a new member to add to the family, Saz. Jr, ER 10/90, and RR 10/90 can call me anytime. They are all in the same ballpark pricewise here and all very satisfying to my palette.

Salute!

I'm down to 2 bottles of the RR101 in my bunker. It was in my top 5 when in production. I was underwhelmed with the first offering of the RR90. So they have made changes to the most recent batch? Anyone done a side by side?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all... first post on here. I'm a newer bourbon drinker, and I have to say that so far, the RR/90 is one of my favorites. I'm finding that I like any Wild Turkey product that I've tried.

Yep I Agree with the rye ebo.

In my county, there is only one bottle. I need to get the state people to move some inventory.

They are pretty good about it, but it might be September till it gets here!

• 2 weeks later...

So... I have read on a few other sites that RR101 is the sh*t. I can't find a bottle to try , so, I only have the 90 proof to go by. I'm drinking it right now, and I have to say that I am really enjoying this bourbon. So far, it is without a doubt, one of my favorites.

I have to say that I was not a fan of the RR101 when it was avaiable. I was a big fan of WTRB (still am) at the time and found the RR to be too mild in comparison. I do however like the RR90 a lot, maybe I'm getting old but it really brings out the best of the WT flavor profile in a very drinkable bourbon.

Unlike most WT products in Japan, RR is quite a bit more expensive than in the US, about $40 where I buy (compare to WTRB for about $30 [700ml btl], $24 for a liter of 101 8y.o.). I put off buying it until I was in Illinois a few weeks ago.

I like a lot all the WT products I've had (101 8 y.o., Rye, Rare Breed, and RR90 [got a bottle of 12 y.o. I haven't cracked yet]), but I believe I like Russell's Reserve the best of the bunch. All are bursting with flavor, but it seems to me that RR has balanced that WT taste the best.

I must have completely opposite taste buds from many. I just tried my first bottle of RR90 (new packaging too) while at a friends in a nearby city and was wanting to write my thoughts as soon as I got home (2:00 am) and lo and behold it was BOTM, great timing!

I must say I LOVED the RR101, I always picked out a strong cinnamon note. I usually can't single out flavors. I have had Rare Bird, Kentucky Spirit, RR Rye, Rye 101, American Spirit, regular 101, so I am not a Turkey hater by any means.

RR90 is the first Bourbon (out of god knows how many) that I absolutely can not stand. This is the first bourbon I've ever "met" I didn't like!! Very sharp after taste. Kind of bitter. Just plain bad to me.

I guess that is why they make different bourbon - different tastes, but this one I just don't get. I have a friend who had some opinion on it, I think favorable, so he will probably get it. My wife suggested I "coke" it but I really don't think that would help. Very disappointed it wasn't just watered down RR101 - and if it is just that, it is amazing how much a little water can change some bourbons!

Hope I didn't offend anyone, I just may have weird tastebuds.

:grin: RR is one of my favorite bourbons. I did not like the first expression, but the current was recommended. I tried it found a totally different experience. It opens up very nicely over ice. Take cubes of ice. Cover it with RR and enjoy. It goes especially good with whatever your grill. Just start grilling, then start sipping. Finish up as you eat and I think you will want to enjoy it again and again.

• 1 month later...

I was lucky enough to find a few of the RR101's and have some bunkered. I haven't tried the newer version but I can say that the 101 is a Bourbon that really benefits from having the bottle open a while. I have a lot of bottles open att any one time and I consume slowly so a Bourbon can sit for months between tastings. The RR101 just got better as time went on.

• 3 months later...

RR has become my go-to bourbon. I'm not sure it's my favorite, but it has the best combination of price and drinkability that makes it my standard drink.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.