Wt 101

hectic1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Binny's has WT 101 on sale as a father's day special this weekend for $15.99...I have never had WT before and I'm wondering if I should pick up more then a bottle at that price. Can someone give me it's traits or a sister bourbon to compare it to? Thanks!

Binny's has WT 101 on sale as a father's day special this weekend for $15.99...I have never had WT before and I'm wondering if I should pick up more then a bottle at that price. Can someone give me it's traits or a sister bourbon to compare it to? Thanks!

I'll give you my two cents. It's a very popular whiskey around here and elsewhere. It has a very high proportion of rye copared to other whiskeys in its class. The combo of the spicey rye and the high proof makes it pretty hot for some people. Other high ryes include OGD, Bulleit, Four Roses Single Barrel (at least some of them), and some people include Old Forester.

I'm not a big fan of the 101, I tend to prefer the older turkeys, but WT is a classic taste no bourbon journey is complete without. Buy a bottle, and if you like it buy some more. For better opinions use the search function:grin:

I saw the same thing about Binny's and I know you won't find it any cheaper around here (based upon my informal dusty hunt survey). I grabbed my first just a month ago and there was a lot of alcohol in the nose/flavor of my first pour but subsequent pours have been very good.

Thanks guys...I did use the search function but I'm having trouble finding comparisons to the WT101...yours was helpful though. Based on what I have read so far I'm not sure that I would be a turkey hunter...I'm more of a VW fan so this is pretty much on the opposite side of the bourbon spectrum. I'll probably pick up a bottle though as at $15.99 it doesn't break the bank.

thanks again for the feedback...anyone else?:)

I'm not surprised you aren't pulling much up hectic1. WT is pretty distinctive I think. The most similar to WT I think is OGD114 but it's still a very different beast.

WT is a rugged bourbon, I feel like I have hair growing on my chest when I have it lol! It always suprises me that something that seems unrefined actually carries such good balance. I think WT101 is a must have for any bourbon drinker to have on the shelf but it might not be a daily go to as it does get up in your face a lot more than some other bourbons.

I think you have got the right idea picking up a bottle. Try not to judge it until you are halfway through the bottle. The first few pours might be like a slap in the face coming from VW but I'd be surprised if it doesn't grow on you.

WT is definitely big on the palate, but don't let that chase you off. If it's too much neat, try it with a bit of water or an ice cube.

WT 101 is my (almost) daily pour. It is all that bourbon should be. Just ask Jimmy Russell.

Joe :usflag:

Sippin' a little WT101 right now, neat. It's pretty much my favorite go-to all-around bourbon.

Thanks for the feedback guys...I guess I'll pick up a bottle or two just to be safe! :)

sorry I did not comment sooner but I am glad you are going to pick up a bottle or two. It is a a great classic bourbon. I hope you enjoy it, it is a one of a kind bourbon.

Thanks for the feedback guys...I guess I'll pick up a bottle or two just to be safe! :)

While you're at it, I recommend picking up a bottle of WT101 rye just for comparison's sake.

WT is definitely big on the palate, but don't let that chase you off. If it's too much neat, try it with a bit of water or an ice cube.

Your going to what to my Turkey? :shocked: :grin:

Your going to what to my Turkey? :shocked: :grin:

LOl Paul remember to each their own

I too prefer the Turkey neat, but on a hot day outside it's dangerously refreshing shaken with ice and served up...ordered some neat last Sunday at the gig and got it shaken and up by mistake...not as big on the palate that way, but went down great in the warm weather. Makes a good bourbon & coke for those sorts of days as well (sacrilege!) :D

Why sacrilege? It is your bourbon, drink it however you prefer. Don't get caught up in the macho bullshit of neat or nothing.

Why sacrilege? It is your bourbon, drink it however you prefer. Don't get caught up in the macho bullshit of neat or nothing.

I've enjoyed every WT product I've had. I prefer the wt rye 101 over the wt101 by a small margin.

The sacrilege comment was tongue in cheek; I have no qualms about drinking my whiskey a variety of ways. I was poking fun at the neat-or-nothing mindset, hence the :D at the end. :)

Enjoyed some WT101 at a local bar last night with a double cheeseburger. A very righteous, stand-up whisky and head and shoulders above the second place choice: OGD 86. Of the few widely-available by the glass bourbons, this is the real deal.

• 4 months later...

Bought a bottle of WT 101 yesterday. Had a couple of pours tonight. I've had this with coke before, but not neat or on the rocks. I'm sorry I waited so long to buy a bottle. While tasting this tonight, the first things that came to mind are three S's. A little spice, a little sweetness, and some smoke. Nice combination, and a very good bourbon. Joe

Like a few others here, WT101 is pretty much my all the time bourbon. I prefer WTRB, but 101 is a bit cheaper to drink all the time.

Buy a few at least. It's my favorite inexpensive bourbon and I'm always stunned at the quality for such a mass-produced offering. I just picked up another handle of it last week for $30 in NH.

Can't go wrong with WT101 in my book but I can see why some might not be knocked out by it. The combo of high rye and high proof gives it a strong, distinct flavor that puts some folks off. But given a bit of time, the Bird grows on you until you wonder what you ever found harsh about it. It's bourbon as your old man used to drink it, and if it was good enough for him, it's good enough for you. You can be sure a bottle of WT101 and some Rare Breed will be on hand while watching football on Thanksgiving Day. :grin:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.