100% Wheat Whiskey - Dry Fly

spun_cookie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Found this nice little spot when I was up in Spokane WA. Their whiskey and Vodka are make with Wheat.

http://www.dryflydistilling.com/main.php

The 100% Wheat whiskey is good stuff... Only Washington and Binny's will have the Whiskey for the first release. The Distiller (good guy) is selling it for ~$30 for a 750... good price for a micro distiller.. the NW boys are charging 4X that...

The juice has been aged for a min of 2 yrs in Charred White Oak... I will post the two pics I took (got busy talking and forgot to take more) at a later time

I had the Death's Door wheat whiskey and

found it to be a nice change. I'd certainly

be interested in trying the Fly.

Found this nice little spot when I was up in Spokane WA. Their whiskey and Vodka are make with Wheat.

The 100% Wheat whiskey is good stuff... Only Washington and Binny's will have the Whiskey for the first release. The Distiller (good guy) is selling it for ~$30 for a 750... good price for a micro distiller.. the NW boys are charging 4X that...

The juice has been aged for a min of 2 yrs in Charred White Oak... I will post the two pics I took (got busy talking and forgot to take more) at a later time

The website says the whiskey is a single malt that is still ageing. Do they have a wheat whiskey as well?

How does it compare to Bernheim Wheat?

After a lengthy email correspondence with the Dry Fly guys, hard info is available. The first bottling of the wheat will be available aug 7th in WA state and at binnys in oct. A bourbon following the wheat in the next year, with the single malt approx 5 years out.

Cant wait to try the wheat as my palate favors that over the rye...

Cheers~

Wheated bourbon and straight wheat whiskey are different beasts.

The wheat in a bourbon mashbill is not as assertive in the flavor profile so it doesn't mask the corn sweetness like in a rye mashbill. I have a bottle of Bernheim Straight Wheat and while it is a very tasty pour, it has very little in common with a wheated bourbon. The corn sweetness of a Weller bottling is definitely absent and it is more biscuity or perhaps yeasty overall.

The wheat in a bourbon mashbill is not as assertive in the flavor profile so it doesn't mask the corn sweetness like in a rye mashbill. I have a bottle of Bernheim Straight Wheat and while it is a very tasty pour, it has very little in common with a wheated bourbon. The corn sweetness of a Weller bottling is definitely absent and it is more biscuity or perhaps yeasty overall.

That's one of the better explanations of wheaters I've read.

Many assume that it's the wheat that makes for the sweetness in a wheater bourbon, but it's the unmasked corn that sweetens things. Wheat is the most innocuous of bourbon grains, so much so that even in the relatively high amounts it's used (22% +/-) it's a "whisper" not a shout. 'Biscuity' is a really good description of wheat.

Roger

Scott I'm not saying your wrong just for my palate I would beg to differ. Especially with a freshly opened bottle of wheated bourbon the wheat flavor is over powering. It's like grabbing a handful of wheat and holding it up to your nose. It settles down quite a bit after the bottle has breathed for a while but it's still there to some degree. I just maybe overly sensitive to this being raised on a farm and raising horses. It taste like horse feed smells , the natural grains. I don't get that with a rye bourbon.

Please don't throw me off the site for saying this, but if you really like wheat whiskey, try Inverleven single grain whisky (from the dark side).Personally I'm not overly fond of straight wheat whisky and I prefer most bourbons with a high amount of rye (notable exception is PVW).

Ok Stu..just to tentatively advance the alternate Wheat Whisky topic...

http://www.scotchwhisky.net/grain/grain1.htm

http://www.planetwhiskies.com/grainwhiskies.html

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/category.asp?cat_id=W_GRAI

The links above do not specify by grain type.

How is a Scotch single grain different from a U.S. or Canadian etc...are the grains roasted over peat? The lowland product I would expect to be lightly peated at most.

It would make for an interesting tasting...going from domestic to import wheat whiskeys / whiskys.

• 1 month later...

I picked up two bottles of this on Aug. 7th, the day it came out. The distillery sold out of 250 bottles in 90 minutes and I'm pretty sure the entire WA state sold out within a few hours. I was super lucky to even get the two bottles I did get.

Well, I was able to get my hands on a few bottles, and I have to say... it's not bad. In fact, it's a pleasant, light 100% Washington wheat whiskey. It was bottled at 80proof, so they stretched the batch for sure, but I'd say that it's a good whiskey to include to your collection to stand next to the Bernheim.

The longer Alcohology blog post about it is here, but over all, I'd say that I look forward to their batch a few disbursements from now (November/December is the next release of this 14month, 15gallon batch), when these smaller barrels will give way to the larger 53gallon barrel which will be at least two years old.

• 6 months later...

I received the following e-mail from Dry Fly:

"The next release of Dry Fly Washington Wheat Whiskey

will be on Saturday March 27th at 8 am. A limit of 1 bottle

per person will be in effect. The retail price will be $45.70

due some changes in Washington's pricing policy.

A limited number of cases will also ship to the Washington

warehouse, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Minnesota, California,

and Arizona."

More info on the latest release:

As a reminder, we will release batch 3 of our wheat whiskey

on Saturday March 27th at 8 am at the distillery.

The following Washington Liquor stores will also receive the

allocated number of cases per the WSLCB:

10-Store 46 - Seattle 7th and Bell

5-Store 65 - Spokane 3rd Ave.

5-Store 185 - Spokane Mission and Division

5-Store 101 - Seattle 4th Ave. South

1-Store 11 - Olympia

Latest update:

"Please note that the WSLCB Stores will not receive product by

Saturday March 27th, the date of the release at the distillery.

You can call the stores to confirm their delivery date."

• 2 months later...

June update:

"We will release Dry Fly Wheat Whiskey Batch 4.0 on Saturday

June 12th at 8 am. As always, we limit the release to one bottle

per person, per space in line.

We will also release cases (IN LIMITED NUMBERS) to the Washington,

Oregon, Idaho, and Montana liquor systems. As we receive that info,

we'll post it!

For those who can't make this release, we'll have release 5.0 in mid

July. We should have a Wheat Whiskey release every month for the

rest of the year..."

Man, I'd sure like to try some of this stuff...

• 3 months later...

i just picked up a bottle from batch 6 tonight at a local liquor store in Kentucky. I lived in Spokane for a while and really enjoyed Dry Fly's gin. This should be a real treat considering I have a soft spot for the Northwest. I'll report back on what I think of their juice.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried this at a tasting at the Party Source on Saturday. It is now a straight whiskey (aged a full two years) although the label hasn't caught up yet. I was surprised how much I liked it. Soft and delicate in flavor yet appealing... a very easy sipper. Tastes much different than Bernheim.

• 3 months later...

From their Facebook page: "Dry Fly Distilling BOURBON Label was approved today. Coming soon, the first Washington State Straight Bourbon EVER!"

From their Facebook page: "Dry Fly Distilling BOURBON Label was approved today. Coming soon, the first Washington State Straight Bourbon EVER!"

Probably too soon. :rolleyes:

Probably too soon. :rolleyes:

I agree Scott; I was there a couple years ago when they were just putting it in the barrel (can't remember the size, but I know it wasn't 53 gallons).

Everyone has to start somewhere. I'm looking forward to this one. That reminds me, I have a bottle of Dry Fly wheat whiskey around here somewhere that I need to open up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.