Is old whiskey fragile?

tommyboy38
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I recently opened a bottle of bourbon that was made at Heaven Hill and bottled in Illinois in the 80's. The first pour from the bottle in a rocks glass had an amazing caramel smell. Subsequent pours just days later have been far less impressive but have been from a glencairn glass. Did that fabulous aroma volitalize super quick when I opened the bottle? I was hoping that this bottle, like many I've had previously of other whiskeys, would improve with some air and not vice versa.

It's still a nice smooth BIB whiskey with some age on it but it's not as nice as it was. :frown:

I recently opened a bottle of bourbon that was made at Heaven Hill and bottled in Illinois in the 80's. The first pour from the bottle in a rocks glass had an amazing caramel smell. Subsequent pours just days later have been far less impressive but have been from a glencairn glass. Did that fabulous aroma volitalize super quick when I opened the bottle? I was hoping that this bottle, like many I've had previously of other whiskeys, would improve with some air and not vice versa.

It's still a nice smooth BIB whiskey with some age on it but it's not as nice as it was. :frown:

Each whiskey can/does have its own personality. You will find this to be true with many bourbons that improve or degrade with additional oxidation.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.