1958 OGD Find

hectic1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was over at my brothers house on Thursday and while in the basement decided to check out his stash of bourbon...my grandfather passed away 2 years ago and he took all the alchol from the cabinets at his house and put it in his basement. He's a vodka drinker so he has no interest in what's down there. While sorting through the stuff while was mostly Canadian Club and Segrams Seven I found a unopened glass decanter of OGD...the label is market 1958. It's probably lost about 20-25% to angels share...my question is...will it still be any good? It's kinda cool to have something that old but I don't want it to go to waste. I also found a bottle of Crown Royal from 1959 down there. Both of these bottles have made their way to my bunker...to drink or not to drink?

I was over at my brothers house on Thursday and while in the basement decided to check out his stash of bourbon...my grandfather passed away 2 years ago and he took all the alchol from the cabinets at his house and put it in his basement. He's a vodka drinker so he has no interest in what's down there. While sorting through the stuff while was mostly Canadian Club and Segrams Seven I found a unopened glass decanter of OGD...the label is market 1958. It's probably lost about 20-25% to angels share...my question is...will it still be any good? It's kinda cool to have something that old but I don't want it to go to waste. I also found a bottle of Crown Royal from 1959 down there. Both of these bottles have made their way to my bunker...to drink or not to drink?

I'd drink it. Something that old is too cool not to drink.

Unless you plan on keeping them another 50 years, drink them. Of course, I would only pour them on special occasions and stretch them over about 5 or 10 more years. :cool:

Tim

Unless you plan on keeping them another 50 years, drink them. Of course, I would only pour them on special occasions and stretch them over about 5 or 10 more years. :cool:

Tim

With that much loss, I'd probably pop it open and start enjoying. Waiting will only produce more loss. Drinking of course will produce more loss but at your pace. I opened a bottle of '59 Old Forester BIB last year that had lost approx. 15% to evaporation. There were no off notes and the profile was just great. I still have a about 300ml of it left and am milking it as long as I can.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.