AAA 10 is getting scarce

submarine
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I sent an email to Buffalo Trace trying to locate the distributor in my area. In the reply they said;

"The 10 ten old Ancient Ancient Age is getting very scarce. It is currently available in Kentucky and only a few other areas."

I'm new to this and don't know how often brands come and go but those of you that enjoy AAA 10 may want to stock up.

Unless brands become "scarce" for marketing purposes, and even then you may want to stock up before the price jumps.

John F

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Jesus; Mary, and Joseph! I'm so used to getting AAA 10 Y.O. on sale every three months ($21/1.75L) I just wouldn't know what to do without it! crazy.gifEgads Man! All Monies on deck! BUY! BUY! BUY! Man your drinking stations! Man your drinking stations! BUY! BUY! BUY! Thanks for the heads up John!

Siphon some of that this way, my good man!!! A tavesty if I cannot get it any more!!

Tom ( frown.gif Depressed frown.gif ) C

I was a big fan of Triple A for many years. I recall it being rich, deep, caramel-like. A friend bought me a bottle from North Carolina recently. It struck me as completely different than it was: spirity, harsh, with a cidery/hot edge.

"Is it just me", or have others noticed a decline? Could the barrels formerly chosen for Triple A be going into some of the currently popular premium brands of Sazerac?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Could the barrels formerly chosen for Triple A be going into some of the currently popular premium brands of Sazerac?

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

It's just you G.M.! I've been buying this bourbon for well over 15 years. It's always rich and wild and never fails to satisfy! It's; flavorful, comforting, and rambunctious! It flys; dives, and dances! Please don't buy anymore. O.K.?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Industry insiders read it everyday. " Damn boys thars gold in them Barrels!"

Well I'll try it again. I do find the regular Ancient Agevery good, and probably today it is a well brand but it deserves better than that. I welcome products like Buffalo Trace (which is great) but one hopes the AA line will be maintained including both quality and extent of distribution.

I just came back from a weekend trip to VA and at two ABC stores I visited they had a very nice supply of AAA and it was on sale! I'll be trying it tonight for a first. Just wishing now I had bought 2 bottles!

AAA 10 yo is becoming scarce? mad.gif I've never even seen it here in Las Vegas when it was "plentiful." confused.gif

Hi I think it was the ten year old but I can't be sure now, the bottle was finished some time ago.

What is AAA ten star?

I would think that if supplies of AAA were getting "scarce", then the price would be rising in places where it is available. It is all over Lexington and the price is staying the same @ $11.99 for a 750ml bottle. I think they might have been trying to make you feel better about not getting any by telling you that most people aren't getting any (at least that is the excuse my wife uses grin.gif )

That's as good an indication we will get , and that's what the market prices are. This is my prompt to not worry until I see the Price start to creep.

Here in Vegas, when a bottling is being phased out, the prices usually either stay the same or, right at the end, go DOWN as they try to clear out the discontinued item. confused.gif

I would tend to agree with that, unless it was already a much sought after bottling, such as Wild Turkey 12-yr old. If an $11 bottling is being discontinued, it is because they can't sell enough of it to make a profit, even at the already low price.

Tim

As far as AAA 10 year is concerned, you're in the same boat (i.e., without a paddle) as we in SoCal, right?

I haven't even found a source in a state that allows shipment to out-of-state buyers. I'd be willing to pay the exhorbitant price from, say, a Pippin's one time just out of curiousity.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dave said;

"As far as AAA 10 year is concerned, you're in the same boat (i.e., without a paddle) as we in SoCal, right?"

It seems like it.

The thing I don't understand is why the standard AA is so abundantly available. If retailers here are buying/selling the AA why not have them toss in a few bottles of the 10 yr. in the order? I can't be the only one in Texas willing to pay a little more to get it.

I found the same sort of thing with OF everybody has the 86 but I had to search for the 100. I don't think the 100 is scarce nor do I think it would be a slow mover. I can't make any sense of it.

John F

This is not a scarcity. It has long been the case that AAA 10 is available in only two states. According to Buffalo Trace president, Mark Brown, "There are 2 states that have the AAA 10 Year Old - Kentucky and Virginia (It is has been this way for years). We have adequate stocks to keep these markets going right along. In all other markets you can buy AAA 10 Star, which is a 6 year old, 90 proof product."

I guess the Prez. would know better than the guy I was corresponding with (K Weber).

All I had to go by was that he works at BT, answers their emails and "getting very scarce" is a quote from him.

The part they both seem to agree on is that I'm not gonna be getting my hands on any AAA 10 unless I take a 500 mile road trip, one way shocked.gif

I've seen "Sams" mentioned here in other threads, are there a few Internet resources members here use when availability issues like this arise?

John F

Ken is a great guy, friend of the forum, and helpful. Perhaps Ken's point is that they simply don't have enough to ship outside of VA and KY and still guarantee that customers in those states have a supply.

Oh man blush.gif

Small world it is in the land of bourbon.

I sure wasn't trying to stir things up. Just trying to locate a bourbon and pass along the info I got along the way.

John F

I have placed a couple of orders with Sam's Wine & Spirits and one with Binny's Beverage Depot over the last few months.

Assuming you are not in a state that makes it illegal to receive an interstate shipment, you can do the same. However, both of these sources are in Illinois and can't help with the AAA 10 y/o problem. (I've heard that Kentucky and Virginia both prohibit shipments from their retailers to out-of-state customers. That just about puts the cork in the bottle permanently as far as AAA 10 y/o is concerned.)

Another source that a friend of mine suggested is Pippin (of North Carolina), which has locations in many states. However, lately their website has not worked; they may have gotten out of that side of the business for all I know.

There's also Internet Wines & Spirits. They list an AAA 107 proof 10 year-old, but at $31.25 it hardly seems like a bargain. In fact, their prices look high across the board to me.

BTW, I read in the past few days that there's a legal case working its way to The Supreme Court in regard to the conflict between the Commerce Clause and Amendment XIV (I think it is). However, the case deals with wine not liquor; I doubt that even a favorable outcome for wine would make liquor more easily available. (You Kentuckians may gain the right to buy wine directly from California wineries, but we Californians won't gain a similar right in regard to Kentucky bourbon.)

Since the case was brought by the wine industry, you can bet they won't address any elements that might in any way jeopardize the outcome in regard to wine -- and adding liquor to the discussion would probably do just that.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I don't use the internet for domestic whiskey purchases, but I do order from several retailers in addition to Sam's: Wine & Liquor Depot in CA (ask for Howard), Town Wine & Spirits (ask for Elliot). Also, near the back of Malt Advocate they have a list of retailers that carry the magazine. (They are grouped by the number of single malts they have) shocked.gif I've found this list to be very helpful when trying to pick up a new/limited bottling. wink.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.