Zeppelin Bend

cas
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anybody tried this?:

http://newhollandbrew.com/corp/spirit/whiskey

It's available locally at about $70. Some of the beers this company makes are extremely good, but I'm hesitant to put down 70 bucks for something I might not care for.

Alternatively, maybe I'll just learn how to tie this knot.

Craig

I spouted off on Zeppelin here:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8209&page=4&highlight=zeppelin

Assuming this is the same whiskey I had (I don't remember the word bend in the name), I think it's good, but I don't think it's $70 good. A & L had it at one time for $60 (I tried to order it once), but I never went to pick it up after I heard the price.

OK - it doesn't come come up in a search on Zeppelin Bend, though I had looked at that thread sometime earlier. Guess it wasn't on my radar at that point. I wonder if a local bar or restaurant might have it available, so I wouldn't have to invest in a whole bottle to try it.

Craig

Their website does not indicate if sampling is part of the tour or not....though they have a bar...and they charge for tickets...I would hope there is some kind of tasting offered. CAS is the distillery / brewery very far from your location? It might make for an interesting Saturday jaunt...the only day they offer tours.

P.S. I see you are East quite a bit....a trip across and up the coast....maybe 3-4 hrs?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having a glass of the Zeppelin Bend right now.

Fairly similar to the Zeppelin, but without any of the sweetness or body, which I would guess is a result of less corn in the mash. Like a really cheap, smokeless Scotch.

I don't say this much, and all apologies to the New Holland people who make amazing beer, but this whiskey blows.:puke:

• 3 months later...

Well, I'll finally taste some barrel samples tomorrow. Report to follow. I'm hoping for the best.:cool:

Well, I'll finally taste some barrel samples tomorrow. Report to follow. I'm hoping for the best.:cool:

Good luck! I hope it's better from the barrel than it was from the bottle I had.

Good luck! I hope it's better from the barrel than it was from the bottle I had.

That's my hope as well.:grin:

So I tried pretty much everything they had, and was impressed. The ZB is not a bourbon, but it aint bad. What I enjoyed most was a 100% wheat whiskey aged in a smaller barrel. Now that approached some of the profile I love in bourbon. The vanilla was there with banana, and caramel. The really nice thing to see in the rick area, was full size barrel's comin' up on 3, 4, and 5 years. :grin: They're doing some experiments with the smaller barrel's and are commited to putting out a quality product. I really was impressed with what they're going for. The thing that I really liked was The Hatter Royale. It's a 100% Barley , twice distilled spirit. Steeped with Centennial Hops !! I'm a hop head, so I really enjoyed the Hop flavor. :grin:

• 3 months later...

Got some Zeppelin Bend in the Glencairn right now....

Nose: Malt and smoke.

Taste: Prominent smoke contained in a chewy malt texture with flashes of honey and heather.

Finish: Holds the malt and smoke on the palate for about 30 seconds before the fade begins at a steady clip.

Overall - Good, flavorful, one-dimensional whiskey. At $65.00 it is over priced for what it is but it is nice to support Michigan Whiskies. Once, at least. For this type of whiskey it is my opinion that a little peat would do it a service.

I tried the Hopquila recently and I really liked it, like, "buy a bottle" liked it. Even though my tastes run more toward less hoppy beers, I would like to try to Hatter Royale too.

Anyway, like Grand Traverse, I'm glad New Holland is putting some away for aging. But I wonder how effective that aging is when it is in a totally climate-controlled enviroment without the seasonal swings of an unheated warehouse.

• 3 months later...

I had lunch at New Holland on Saturday and had a glass of the Zeppelin Bend. It's pretty light, but nice. I believe they told me it was aged 3 years. A few more years and it could be quite good. $15 a pour, but cheaper than $65 a bottle. Also had a glass of their Dragons Milk beer. It's good out of the bottle - really special on tap.

Craig

I just spent a few days up at New Holland, staying with one of the owners as I brew a beer I collaborated with them on (that will be released in Denver at Great American Beer Festival next months!). First of all, great beer and great people.

Their distilling program is relatively new and I had the chance to taste through their lineup several times. Their Hopquila is awesome, as a few people have already mentioned and makes an AWESOME Hoparita. I drank more than my fair share of these while there.

Their Zeppelin was good. I'm not a whiskey expert or as experienced with it as I am with beer, but I really liked it and it was good and easy to drink. I was taken a bit back by the price, but hopefully that will come down once they establish themselves a bit more. They have a nice little barrel program going on as well, so hopefully that will continue to grow.

They have an AWESOME barrel program for the Dragon's Milk (imperial stout aged in Haven Hill bourbon barrels) too :)

Josh - Hopquila is called Hatter Royale Hopquila. Are you thinking their is a Hopquila and a Hatter Royale Hopquila?

Josh - Hopquila is called Hatter Royale Hopquila. Are you thinking their is a Hopquila and a Hatter Royale Hopquila?

Yeah, I was. Then I bought a bottle and smacked my head, making a "d'oh" sound.:lol:

• 4 months later...

Roger Monk's, a new restaurant in Dixboro on Ann Arbor's NE side, carries the whole line of the New Holland distilled products. They use the Zeppelin Bend in at least one or two cocktails. They have a whole page of cocktails made using the New Holland spirits.

Roger Monk's, a new restaurant in Dixboro on Ann Arbor's NE side, carries the whole line of the New Holland distilled products. They use the Zeppelin Bend in at least one or two cocktails. They have a whole page of cocktails made using the New Holland spirits.

Do the make their wine from the grapes of wrath?

Craig

Do the make their wine from the grapes of wrath?

Craig

*rimshot*

New Holland has a new whiskey, the Double Down Brewer's Whiskey. I was able to sample some at Amy's on NYE. It's a really unique whiskey, it tastes like a really high ABV Imperial stout. Seriously. Really interesting.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.