hirsch selection special reserve american whiskey

beergurujr
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

the neck label states "limited edition kentucky corn whiskey", and the main label posts "kentucky straight corn whiskey".

90 proof, no age statement. priced $24.99 at binny's in algonquin, IL.

other interesting label stuff: "bottled by hirsch distillers- weston, missouri". that makes it bottled at the old mccormick plant. platte valley corn whisky, anybody?

back label is quite rambling, way too much to replicate here.

what's it taste like?

it's corn whiskey. straw yellow, so i'll assume a little time in reused cooperage. after about ten minutes breathing time in a scotch thistle tasting glass, let's see.....

smells like a lighter version of mellow corn. could this have been distilled at HH?

tastes "corny"; a lot like present-day mellow corn. maybe not as oily in mouthfeel, though.

goes down smoothly enough. though i prefer the virginia lightning i bought along with it. but that's just me.

anybody else had this stuff yet? no... it's not the 20 year old version.

jim kube

the neck label states "limited edition kentucky corn whiskey", and the main label posts "kentucky straight corn whiskey".

90 proof, no age statement. priced $24.99 at binny's in algonquin, IL.

other interesting label stuff: "bottled by hirsch distillers- weston, missouri". that makes it bottled at the old mccormick plant. platte valley corn whisky, anybody?

back label is quite rambling, way too much to replicate here.

what's it taste like?

it's corn whiskey. straw yellow, so i'll assume a little time in reused cooperage. after about ten minutes breathing time in a scotch thistle tasting glass, let's see.....

smells like a lighter version of mellow corn. could this have been distilled at HH?

tastes "corny"; a lot like present-day mellow corn. maybe not as oily in mouthfeel, though.

goes down smoothly enough. though i prefer the virginia lightning i bought along with it. but that's just me.

anybody else had this stuff yet? no... it's not the 20 year old version.

jim kube

Sounds interesting! How old is it? As in, how long ago was it bottled. I didn't think bottling was done at McCormick anymore.

Is this in an old-timey crock, like Platte Valley has traditionally been bottled?

I saw a bottle like this the other day which seems to have lettering cast in with the crock identifying Weston, but a sticky label identifying distillation in either Kentucky,Bardstown or both (I can't remember exactly). It made me think this was HH corn whiskey (similar to Mellow Corn or JW Corn, I'd think).

Based only on pure speculation, I think they're still using the moulds and crocks of the old Platte Valley, but it's now HH juice.

Roger

Sounds interesting! How old is it? As in, how long ago was it bottled. I didn't think bottling was done at McCormick anymore.

that should read is.

Lot of McCormick stuff coming up in the past couple days.

I think McCormick still bottles. What they no longer do is distill. Except for micro-distilleries, all of the corn whiskey on the market is Heaven Hill's, including Platte Valley.

no age statement, sorry.

jim kube

Is this in an old-timey crock, like Platte Valley has traditionally been bottled?

I saw a bottle like this the other day which seems to have lettering cast in with the crock identifying Weston, but a sticky label identifying distillation in either Kentucky,Bardstown or both (I can't remember exactly). It made me think this was HH corn whiskey (similar to Mellow Corn or JW Corn, I'd think).

Based only on pure speculation, I think they're still using the moulds and crocks of the old Platte Valley, but it's now HH juice.

Roger

no, it's a fairly standard 750ml clear glass bottle, with a screw cap.

jim kube

I think McCormick still bottles. What they no longer do is distill. Except for micro-distilleries, all of the corn whiskey on the market is Heaven Hill's, including Platte Valley.

that's what i was thinking, chuck. doubtful this came from say, lawrenceburg, indiana. it's got HH written all over it.

jim kube

The people at HH are fond of saying that while some others make corn for blending purposes, all of the corn available to the public (excluding micros) is theirs.

The Lawrenceburg website says they make corn whiskey as well. Does anyone know where that goes?

http://www.lawrenceburgdistillersindiana.com/Distillery_Operations.html

That's what I meant to say.:banghead:

The Lawrenceburg website says they make corn whiskey as well. Does anyone know where that goes?

http://www.lawrenceburgdistillersindiana.com/Distillery_Operations.html

Mostly it's sold to other producers who use it in American blended whiskey, e.g., Seagram's Seven.

I have heard that LDI is in trouble since its parent company, CL Financial, was nationalized by the Trinidad and Tobago government.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.