Help - looking for info on proper bourbon glasses

John
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi!

I have a small problem that I'm hoping someone here can help me with. I'd like to buy a set of bourbon glasses for my brother but I'm having trouble finding info on the right type of glasses to buy.

I've heard that bourbon should properly be served in a metal container? Is this true? If so would anyone have any ideas on where I could find some? I'm in Canada and bourbon sources are a bit scarce up here.

Hoping someone can help me.

Thanks!

I've been drinking bourbon since the late 60's and I've never heard about drinking it from a metal container. With one exception - mint juleps are properly served in silver cups. But, most people don't even do that.

Several people have mentioned Reidel bourbon glasses, but I've never seen them. For my money, I would just get decent quality "on the rocks" glassware from a regular dinnerware supplier (e.g., a department store that sells a lot of wedding gifts). These glasses are short and wide.

I'm sure other people will have different opinions. tongue.gif

Tim

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

John you've come to the right place, but you're just on the wrong topic board. Pop down to the Non-Bourbon forum and go to the Paraphernalia topic board. There you will find three threads of interest. An older one simply intitled 'glassware' and two more recent threads - one on 'The Pure Glass' and another on the Glencairn Malt Blender's glass are all good informative reads. You will find your answers there. After you've found them I'm going to move this thread down there where it belongs. wink.gif

I tend to agree with Tim, here. It depends on how they enjoy their whiskey. For me if I am drinking on the rocks I use an "Old Fashioned" glass (usually 8-12oz with a heavy glass base and straight sides) similar to the one that Tim described in the above post. When drinking neat, I use a small brandy snifter, as it concentrates the nose of the bourbon and helps bring out & intensify the flavor.

Hope that helps,

TomC

PS I included a crappy pic of my favorite Old Fashioned Glass.

post-89-14489811091697_thumb.gif

I hope to obtain a set of the Pure glasses touted by Linn at some point, but up to this point my favorite glasses are some that came with a gift-boxed bottle of Rare Breed. These are heavy crystal (like?) old-fashon glasses with thick bases. The sides taper in slightly at the top, which helps to retain the bouquet. These glasses just feel good to hold. You can find them all over Lexington right now as there are plenty of gift boxes for the holidays.

post-134-1448981109188_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.