What Has Been Your Favorite Distillery Tour?

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Does anyone have a beat on what facility tours are available in Louisville?

The Bourbon Trail doesn't have any stops there yet there are a lot of distilling operations as I understand it.

Does anyone have a beat on what facility tours are available in Louisville?

The Bourbon Trail doesn't have any stops there yet there are a lot of distilling operations as I understand it.

To my knowledge, none of the distilleries in Louisville are open to public tours. The Brown-Forman cooperage gives tours, but only through Mint Julep Tours, and The Bulleit Experience at Stitzel-Weller is still in the "Coming Soon" category.

To my knowledge, none of the distilleries in Louisville are open to public tours. The Brown-Forman cooperage gives tours, but only through Mint Julep Tours, and The Bulleit Experience at Stitzel-Weller is still in the "Coming Soon" category.

I'm concerned you are correct.

Maybe someone else has a line on something we haven't noticed.

I'm concerned you are correct.

Maybe someone else has a line on something we haven't noticed.

Honestly though, Bardstown is not that far from Louisville, maybe an hour. An outing to Nelson Co. is very doable if you are staying in Louisville. Beam, Heaven Hill, Barton-1792, Maker's Mark and the old T.W. Samuels plant (if you're into that sort of thing) are all in the neighborhood.

The old T.W. Samuels plant (if you're into that sort of thing) are all in the neighborhood.

I took the BT hard hat tour on Thursday. Fred is great! The tour is very hands-on and informative.

On Friday I had the pleasure of touring Heaven Hill's operation in Bardstown. It wasn't a typical tour (I have no idea what the normal tours are allowed to see) so I can't actually recommend any HH tour, although the folks getting off the trolley seemed to have enjoyed it.

Anyway, it was a truly awesome experience for our group of bourbon geeks.

My wife and I toured 4 Roses, Heaven Hill, and Woodford about 2 years ago. I can't label any one of the 3 as favorite because each one had it's own charm.

It would be hard to beat the scenery and atmosphere at Woodford, and our tour guide was very knowledgeable and open to answering rather detailed questions (I am a home brewer of beer and pestered him with technical questions about the mash process and fermentation).

We had a great look at the entire operation at 4 Roses and the tasting after the tour was full of great information.

I suppose those two would be my favorites of the three.

Next time we go Buffalo Trace will be on our itinerary.

Although they don't offer tours at either place, the Heaven Hill Bernheim Distillery and adjacent headquarters campus of Brown-Forman Corporation are worth a visit. You can park on the street (legally) and see a lot from the public sidewalks. Although the distillery was built in 1992, the rest of the Heaven Hill property is from the 1930s and the architecture is interesting.

Similarly, you can see a lot of Stitzel-Weller from the street and it's very close to HH/BF in the nearby suburb of Shively. The Brown-Forman Distillery is there too. It doesn't offer tours and is located where it's hard to see anything, so that's not even worth a drive-by. Shively's Dixie Highway and Seventh Street Road are worth a drive-by for the remnants of old distilleries, incuding the imposing Seagram's plant.

There will, apparently, soon be a couple of micro-distilleries along Whiskey Row downtown, but none are open yet. Best thing on Whiskey Row today is the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife's company has a district office in KY, so I get to visit Bourbon Country twice a year on her company's dime [sweet]!

As far as "glad you are here" - Four Roses

Most beautiful grounds - Maker's Mark

Best chance to interact with the workers - Marker's Mark

Best chance to taste "white dog" - Four Roses

Best tasting - Tie: Four Roses and Heaven Hill

Least "hype" - Four Roses

Recommendation: visit them all, over and over ...

If in Bardstown ... visit Toddy's Liquor

If in Lexington ... visit Liquor Barn [i spend hours in these stores]

The above is my humble opinion, and I am a neophyte bourbon lover ...

bllygthrd

• 1 month later...

I've never had the BT Hard Hat tour (on my wish list!), but of the others I probably enjoyed Makers the best in terms of being the most thorough. Although I thought Heaven Hill had the best tasting setup!

Has anyone been to Jim Beam lately? When I toured there in May 2011 they were bragging about how they would have a really great tour . . . soon (they didn't give us a date, but were doing a ton of construction).

I've never had the BT Hard Hat tour (on my wish list!), but of the others I probably enjoyed Makers the best in terms of being the most thorough. Although I thought Heaven Hill had the best tasting setup!

Has anyone been to Jim Beam lately? When I toured there in May 2011 they were bragging about how they would have a really great tour . . . soon (they didn't give us a date, but were doing a ton of construction).

According to local news and progress when i've driven past, new center opening sometime in the fall. Wonder if they're not trying to get open in time for Bourbon Festival.

I hope you're right! My dad and I are meeting in Bardstown for the Bourbon Festival (already bought tickets for some of the events, and barely got room reservations). Neither of us have been to the festival before, and we're getting there a day early so we can tour KBD (Willett, Noah's Mill, etc) but would love to see the new/improved Jim Beam tour!

I hope you're right! My dad and I are meeting in Bardstown for the Bourbon Festival (already bought tickets for some of the events, and barely got room reservations). Neither of us have been to the festival before, and we're getting there a day early so we can tour KBD (Willett, Noah's Mill, etc) but would love to see the new/improved Jim Beam tour!

Make sure you come to the General Nelson Motel at night and come out back to the Gazebo bring a bottle and a glass

Officially no date has been announced but, unofficially, they hope to be open by mid-September. One person down there has described what they're doing as "Bourbon Disneyland." Sounds like fun.

Information (including Hard Hat) wise, BT. For quaint (once you get out of the visitor center) and unique, WR.

Anyone have an opinion on whether the Cox's Creek 4R facility is worth a visit if I'm a little pressed for time?

Anyone have an opinion on whether the Cox's Creek 4R facility is worth a visit if I'm a little pressed for time?

Visited Cox Creek a couple of months ago. One of the most interesting and laid back tours in Bourbon Country. Contrasted to the DisneyLand vibe at Makers and the shopping mall at Beam, Cox Creek was refreshing. No movie, no gift shop, no tasting room. Just nice people, proud of what they do showing how they barrel, age and bottle their product.

The tour guide was the office girl who stepped away from her duties to drive us around the complex and show my wife and I around.

I was told recently that demand has forced them to formalize it a little more. That might be good, might not, but it's the price of success.

Visited Cox Creek a couple of months ago. One of the most interesting and laid back tours in Bourbon Country. Contrasted to the DisneyLand vibe at Makers and the shopping mall at Beam, Cox Creek was refreshing. No movie, no gift shop, no tasting room. Just nice people, proud of what they do showing how they barrel, age and bottle their product.

The tour guide was the office girl who stepped away from her duties to drive us around the complex and show my wife and I around.

Interested to know, what did you find as "DisneyLand" from the Maker's tour?

I'm sure it was the log ride (or was it a barrel ride?) that splashes down into the Maker's Mark river and showers the spectators standing there with their mouths open...

Interested to know, what did you find as "DisneyLand" from the Maker's tour?

Probably started with the talking family pictures in the Samuels house and the red wax in the kitchen. Too many people, and too pretty. I like the grittiness at Barton and the "back-lot" stuff at BT much better

I did find this interesting at Makers. On the desk in the house were what was purported to be Bill Samuel's plans for the distillery. I'm not sure you can see it in the picture, but that grain bin says "corn, rye & malt". Must have preceded the decision to make a wheated whiskey.post-3137-14489818004997_thumb.jpg

Probably just a prop. I think that place was already operable when he bought it, and used whatever setup that was already in place.

I agree. I see a lot of "production" at the begining and end of the Maker's Mark tour, but it pretty informative and worthwhile in between.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.