DIY Bourbon Carrier

DeanSheen
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone have experience with closed cell foam?

I'd like to diy one of these.

http://www.winecruzer.com/8pack-winecarrierwheel.html

The base product is this:

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1440

Any ideas? I've seen people talk about inserting styrofoam shippers inside of the case but a more professional approach would be nice.

Well you can get the base carrier online shipped for $107 right now.

That full blown version was like $345 shipped. Thats allot of room to play with.

I did make contact some months ago with a custom foam place, I'll have to see if I can dig that up. On the other hand what I should do is see if I can get a local supplier to sell me a brick of it then cut and glue it to taste.

I'm just not sure how you cut that sort of material.

You may want to check into a 4 lbs. cross link foam, it's smooth and very durable. You could go 6 lbs. but if I remember correctly it's not a on the shelf stock item (special order) which means cost would be steep. I have some access to companies with water jet cutting machines so it may be possible to have a template made up and then glue them together to fill the box.

Cool idea for sure.

Tony

From time to time I'm able to get some foam from work. It's used as packing material for some of the more delicate truck parts we get in. Gauges, lights, switches, etc... I have used it before as packing material when I ship bottles. Works great. I'll keep my eyes open and see if I can snag some more. Joe

I have had lots of experience with Pelican products - they are great. You won't ever wear it out and it's bomb proof.

As for foam, Pelican makes "pick and pluck" for a lot it's models. It's a large chunk of foam cut to fit the box and then perfed so it can be removed in 1/4 inch pieces. The idea is to form fit the foam around photo or electronic pieces and should be easy to make a sequence of round holes for bottles. If you get a denser block from some packing source the preferred way to cut it is with one of those old style electric carving knives (check second hand stores) that have a reciprocating blade. Take your time and you can make the cut look pretty good.

You should end up with a very cool case.

• 3 weeks later...

The storm cases, IMO, are better than the Pelican. I used to carry pelican for my tool box, but switched to the storm and never looked back. The storm case has a full length hinge on most cases, a stiffer handle, and a latch system that will not open unless you depress the button on the latch.

And for foam, do not discount the foam noodles for pools. They are dense enough to support a bottle, but soft enough to cushion. And 4 pieces of them in a square makes a great nest for a bottle :) Did I mention they were cheap?

I have been hauling my photo gear in Pelican for seems like forever - but that storm looks like the shiznit. The noodle idea is great - might be the best way to ship bottles too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.