Improving the Kentucky Bourbon Trail.

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In the September issue of The Bourbon Country Reader, I suggested 25 places that should be on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. I just thought of another one and can't believe I didn't remember it sooner: Berry Hill Mansion.

Berry Hill is in Frankfort and was built by George Berry, who was vice president of W. A. Gaines & Co., makers of Old Crow Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.

Hiram Berry, George's father, was one of the original investors in the company formed to make and sell Old Crow Bourbon after Dr. Crow's death in 1856. In time, New York investors bought most of the stock and the company was headquartered there. The distillery was just outside of Frankfort and Berry was the senior executive on the scene. He wasn't a distiller. We don't know for sure but he was probably more like the general manager. He was also a major shareholder.

It made him a very rich man. He built the mansion he called Juniper Hill in 1900. In about 1910 he added a music room, the home's most spectacular feature.

Today, Berry Hill Mansion is owned by the Commonwealth of Kentucky. It is meticulously maintained and beautiful, inside and out. It is open to the public and also used for conferences, weddings, and other events. W. A. Gaines & Co. ceased to exist as anything other than a name at Prohibition. Today, Old Crow is made by Beam Global Spirits & Wine.

If you have any questions about the mansion, or want to rent it for an event, e-mail my buddy Paula Weglarz at Paula.Weglarz@ky.gov or call her at (502) 564-3000. If she doesn't answer they're probably racing at Keeneland.

post-5-14489816100395_thumb.jpg

post-5-14489816100395_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.