Ok could some one please explain this .....

WEG3
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have started to take a real hard look at the bourbons on the shelf at differant stores her in MA, and New England area as I travel and get the chance ,,,,,I see a pattern that around here you have a common 80 or 90 proof and maybe a few better proof and aged stock but short of a very large or a lucky find the more aged or proof stock is just not as common ,,,, I also see that form the list of brands the some distillers have Export only stock . ... what is with that is it to good to be sold here , ? or is it cheap stuff , or worst yet is it good stuff that is sold off before it is even ready for market here bought paid and shipped with out a chance for the american market has a sniff of it ?

Ok let the teaching begin .......

Bill G. crazy.gifconfused.gif

With a few exceptions, "export only" bourbons are just different packaging. It's irritating for people who want to try absolutely everything, but we're really no missing much. The exceptions include some of the Four Roses and Blanton's expressions that are only available overseas.

And now, sadly, WT 12 YO. Oaky, fruity, dark...Imagine it over vanilla ice cream...I'm going to go home and open my last bottle just out of sadness.

Ralph Wilps

I had found 5 bottles before Thanksgiving but had to save me pennies for a cute little number called Stagg. It has since dried up. Damn if you could find a case or 2 gathering dust, would you need to be told to lay it in? What say ye smirk.gif , kind sir?

Bobby,

If you found any more WT12, I might have to plan another trip to KY to buy some! What a Merry Christmas it would be then!

TomC

A week before Thanksgiving I could have pointed you to 5 bottles and except fo 1 place I haven't been back to, it's gone . Plan the trip anyway , surely we can find something that will make it worthwhile! smile.gif

Hey, I know where the proverbial "several cases collecting dust" are. Send me a PM, and I'll tell ya.

Hey team!

I have noticed that some folks are having a difficult time finding the George T. Stagg, uncut/unfiltered, 15 year old, 137.6 proof bourbon. I suppose I am to blame. About 6 months ago we convened an old-timers meeting at the Buffalo Trace Distillery and invited a writer, Stuart McClain Ramsey to join us. During the day-long discussion, I asked the group to sample some whiskies selected from among our 1500 experimental barrels. I told them that we were going to introduce a new uncut/unfiltered bourbon and that it would be named in honor of George T. Stagg (former owner of the BTD and newest inductee into the Bourbon Hall of Fame). To make a long story short, they selected a 15 year old offering.

The package does not include an age statement since we may select another bourbon, or whiskey in the future. We only produced 725 three-bottle cases. The bourbon was named Whiskey of the Year (Malt Advocate) and we pre-sold every case before we actually bottled one drop. As an FYI, the Whiskey of the Year designation was based on a 200 ml lab sample.

The majority of the product is staying in Kentucky, where it generally stays on the shelf less than a day. Most stores have waiting lists and the product never makes it as far as the shelf. It is in "national" distribution, however, the odds of finding it are very rare. One of my concerns is that Straightbourbon lovers do not have the opportunity to taste some of the limited releases we offer. If not for the three-tier system, this could be readily resolved.

As an additional FYI, what will the next vintage of Stagg consist of? I don't know quite yet. We have a number of experimental barrels to choose from. Also, one last point. The reason we introduced George T. Stagg as an uncut/unfiltered bourbon was because a straightbourbonite suggested it! Booker's kind of staked out the territory and we did not want to be seen as a "me too". That is why we used a well-aged bourbon as somewhat of a compromise.

Ken

Thanks for the info and update, Ken. I just wish you had more encouraging news to share (especially for those of us outside KY). Kudos on the job you did with the Stagg. I hope the big wheels appreciate what you and your team did. A pre-release sell-out? As Dickie V. would say: "That's Awesome, Baby, with a capital A!!"

SpeedyJohn

yep, some of us dont stand a snowballs chance in. . . . .you know how it goes, of getting a bottle of our very own. At least I got a taste when we visited the distillery, so I will not complain too much.

TomC

Ken,

Maybe you could get me some help with the Alabama ABC stores. They list Rock Hill Farms as an available product, but I cannot convince them to actually sell me any. I have filled in multiple "stock request" cards, but to no avail. They are getting pretty tired of me asking.

Also, I requested Elmer T. Lee, but since it is not on their official list, my request is meaningless. Can you sell them some and convince them to sell it?

I can get Blanton's and Ancient Age and AAA 10-Star. I don't understand why it is such a problem to get your other products.

Thanks for anything you can do,

Tim

Thanks for the info, Ken, and thanks for taking the time to post it here. The more we know what is going on, the better, even if the news isn't as good as we want to hear. It's always better to get the straight scoop rather than guess about what is going on.

Congrats on the success of George T. Stagg. And, by the way, thanks for it! I haven't tasted it yet, but my sister in Louisville picked me up some and I will be getting it when we meet at Xmas.

Ken, I know the legalities involved would make it difficult to sell bourbon directly to people, but isn't the distillery allowed to sell a limited amount of bourbon at the gift shop? maybe these 'special' bottlings could be sold from the gift shop on the day that the straightbourbon regulars happen to be in town?

cool.gif

-Chris

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

I have noticed that some folks are having a difficult time finding the George T. Stagg, uncut/unfiltered, 15 year old, 137.6 proof bourbon. I suppose I am to blame

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Ken let me be the first to thank you , 14 times actually, for causing this problem.

You have 14 bottles shocked.gif I guess I know who wil be bringing the Stagg to the Festival next year wink.gif

Hey Bobby,

I though you were going to keep it a secret? wink.gif Hmmmmmm...ya didn't last long! cool.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

You've appropriated fourteen bottles of Stagg for your own bad self?

Damn, we'll have to start calling you "Hogjaw" instead of Bobby tongue.gif

14!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wink.gifwink.gif Hey Bobby, I hear that breakfast at the local VFW is good this time of year. . . . wink.gifwink.gif

Rock On with your bad self,

TomC

Tom, If I leave right now................... One thing though a little bit of this goes a long way. I should still have some come September. Hell I better have a lot, I don't plan to get that tore up. wink.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.