Can this Bourbon be Saved?

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, I couple weeks ago I picked up what I though was a pretty sweet dusty. RHF from the early 90s with the cheezy medallion.

Well, when I opened it up I noticed that there was some staining on the plastic around the stopper. I removed it and pulled out the stopper. The stopper came out, but unfortunately the cork stayed in the neck! It was stuck on. The bottle had apparently been stored on its side for an extended period of time. And it tasted like it had.

So I decanted it through the hole left in the cork and then got to thinking...

I have some activated charcoal nuggets I use to de-odorize the fridge, so I took some of those and poured them into one of those reusable coffee filters. I ran the bourbon through there several times. It smelled and tasted better but had this sort of black haze in it from the charcoal. So I ran it through some cheese cloth and ran it through the charcoal once or twice more and then the cheese cloth again and the haze was mostly gone.

How does it taste now? Better, but not exactly what it must have been before. I have managed to take it from tainted to mixable. Which is not bad, if I do say so myself!

Anybody else tried to save a whiskey?

Josh- put wadded up plastic sandwich bags or glad cling wrap in it for about 20 minutes, taste, and maybe 10-20 minutes more.

Tell me what you think... it's supposed to fix corked wine because the plastic binds to the chemical that makes it taste that way or some such thing.

Sorry Josh, but I can't help you on saving the contents. But, I have an extra RHF stopper with intact cork if you want it. Just let me know.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.