Duty-free Shops Overseas

CL
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A colleague of mine travels out of the country extensively. I need some ideas on what to have him look for in the duty-free shops for me. I know about Four Roses Single Barrel and WT 12 yo. How are the Blanton's expressions that Chuck Cowdery mentioned?

How common are these at major foreign international airports? My guess is that Four Roses and Blanton's probably won't be, but that WT 12 might be. My colleague is going to Australia next week and frequently goes to Europe via London.

Your sister may find WT12 at a Liquor store in Middletown. It's not Evergreen it's the other one Hurra's or something they had 2 bottles a few weeks ago.

I dunno about abroad, but the duty free shops had at the airports in both Tampa & Cincinnati had all of the bourbons you mentioned (plus a WT 8 year Barrel Proof) when I checked them out recently. Sadly I was flying domestically so I could not buy. So close, yet soooooooooooooooo far. . .

Tom (wistful) C

Is it possible to scam the system?

How about buying an international ticket, picking up the booze, and then cashing in the unused ticket?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Hi CL, I think I posted this earlier...

Australia (and New Zealand) have some really weird bourbons. Don't know if they sell at their duty free shops. Look for 'Cougar', 'John Brown' and 'Courage Under Fire'. They are all 74-75 proof, don't meet minimum domestic requirement for bourbon (80 pr). There must be a loop hole in some countries. I have no idea who's exporting this, would be interesting to find out. Bettye Jo?

And there's at least one 'bourbon-flavored' drink called Silver Dollar, at 44 proof. Right up there with Stagg and Bookers... grin.gif

Omar

Heck, that's alot of Stagg and OFBB in that ticket! I am not that desperate to try what I can't get here at home. wink.gif

>> "I heard they deliver the purchase to you on the plane!"

I am pretty sure that is correct. I am certain that that is what they do on the cruise ships.

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.