No 'e'

MarkEdwards
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Now I kinow that Irish Whisky, singular, and Scotch Whisky, singular, are properly spelled without the letter 'e'. But I had a thought lst night (I hate it when that happens...) - do we want to leave out the 'e' in the collective noun; describing them as 'whiskis' instead of 'whiskies'? :grin:

Now I kinow that Irish Whisky, singular, and Scotch Whisky, singular, are properly spelled without the letter 'e'. But I had a thought lst night (I hate it when that happens...) - do we want to leave out the 'e' in the collective noun; describing them as 'whiskis' instead of 'whiskies'? :grin:

Friends don't let friends drink & post. :slappin:

Now I kinow that Irish Whisky, singular, and Scotch Whisky, singular, are properly spelled without the letter 'e'.

Actually the Irish spell it with an e.

As in Jameson Irish Whiskey, Tyrconnell Irish Whiskey, etc.

Just the Scotch, Maker's Mark and George Dickel drop the e.

Actually the Irish spell it with an e.

As in Jameson Irish Whiskey, Tyrconnell Irish Whiskey, etc.

Just the Scotch, Maker's Mark and George Dickel drop the e.

Old Forester too, allegedly to honor the Browns' Scottish heritage.:skep:

Actually, the Irish spelling is Whiskey.

Perhaps the proper plural for the Scottish variety should be "Whiskiis" or "Viskiiz" or "Physkiiss"

The general rule-of-thumb: if there's an 'e' in the spelling of the country (America, Ireland), there's an 'e' in their whiskey. No 'e' (Scotland, Canada), no 'e' in their whisky.

'Course, if you're related to Frank and Jesse James, you break them rules.

The plural of whisky is whiskies. The plural of whiskey is whiskeys.

I've written about the spelling thing ad nauseum. Suffice it to say that it is no different, and no more significant, than the difference between "tires" and "tyres."

The plural of whisky is whiskies. The plural of whiskey is whiskeys.

I've written about the spelling thing ad nauseum. Suffice it to say that it is no different, and no more significant, than the difference between "tires" and "tyres."

Even ad absurdum, I'd bet :rolleyes:. And absurdness was the sole purpose of my original post. But thank you for the clarification.

Old Forester too, allegedly to honor the Browns' Scottish heritage.:skep:

No 'e' in Early Times Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky, either. Maybe for the same reason?

I am amazed that this holds people's fascination. It is just two different ways to spell a word.

Tim

color or colour

airplane or aeroplane

aluminum or aluminium

ass or arse

behoove or behove

carburetor or carburettor

aerie or eyrie

furor or furore

grody or grotty

hauler or haulier

jimmy or jemmy

mustache or moustache

mom or mum

quint or quin

salawag or scallywag

specialty or speciality

tidbit or titbit,....................... it don't matter, but we do need to get to the bottom of this whiskey/whisky question.

And if all else fails we need to get to the bottom of the whiskey/whisky bottle!!!

,....................... it don't matter, but we do need to get to the bottom of this whiskey/whisky question.

And if all else fails we need to get to the bottom of the whiskey/whisky bottle!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself :grin:

color or colour

airplane or aeroplane

aluminum or aluminium

ass or arse

behoove or behove

carburetor or carburettor

aerie or eyrie

furor or furore

grody or grotty

hauler or haulier

jimmy or jemmy

mustache or moustache

mom or mum

quint or quin

salawag or scallywag

specialty or speciality

tidbit or titbit

Bitch or Bee'atch

Lush or OscarV

and on and on and on :D

Bitch or Bee'atch

Lush or OscarV

and on and on and on :D

Hey wait a minute!

You young fellas got it all wrong, I am a student of bourbon who studies on a daily basis!

I am in the first semester of my juinor year and final exams are coming soon.

Hey wait a minute!

You young fellas got it all wrong, I am a student of bourbon who studies on a daily basis!

I am in the first semester of my juinor year and final exams are coming soon.

Well done sir. Studies are important and I think I need some learinin' tonight as well.

I am amazed that this holds people's fascination. It is just two different ways to spell a word.

And Andrew Jackson once said, "It is a poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."

All this seems to suggest that whiskey is an American spelling of the word, but it is also used for Irish whiskey - so it's not just an American spelling. And not only is the spelling different, but it essentially describes different products.

Colour and color do not depend on which colour you're describing. It depends on where you're using it.

All this seems to suggest that whiskey is an American spelling of the word, but it is also used for Irish whiskey - so it's not just an American spelling. And not only is the spelling different, but it essentially describes different products.

Colour and color do not depend on which colour you're describing. It depends on where you're using it.

This terribly mistaken belief is exactly why I insist that when one is talking about whiskey, one should pick a spelling and stick to it, and American english prefers the "e." I respect the choices of producers and so when referring to a specific product I will use the spelling that producer uses, but otherwise it's all whiskey (or whisky). That's also why I say it is scotch snobs, who truly believe that whisky means single malt scotch and all other uses of the word, regardless of spelling, should be prohibited, who are the cause of this constant debate.

It is absolutely incorrect to say, "not only is the spelling different, but it essentially describes different products."

It's funny how this pops up from time to time. I detailed some of Chuck's arguments on my blog a few years ago along with the contrary arguments of Scotch Blogger Kevin Erskine. About six months ago, the New York Times changed their style guide to provide from always using the American spelling to changing the spelling depending on the type of whiskey being discussed. It's hard to believe one little vowel could cause so many problems.

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2007/11/whisky-wednesday-to-e-or-not-to-e.html

Josh and Chowdery

I think you have both jumped in and completely misread or misunderstood my post. I know they are all distilled grain matured in oak. In that respect they are the same. But you cannot make American whiskey in Ireland and you cannot make Irish whiskey in America, even if you followed the exact same production method and the end product tasted exactly the same. Because Ireland is in Ireland and America is in America and the law states that Irish whiskey is an xyz product made in Ireland - American whiskey is an xyz product made in America.

The semantics relates to the use of American and Irish in the product name.

My point is that the distinction being made here seems to be between American English spelling and Irish or British English spelling. This is not the case, because the English, Irish, Scots, Americans.... everyone calls both Irish and American whiskey "whiskEy". And these countries all call Scotch, Cannadian etc Whisky "whisky".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.