Conecuh Ridge Whiskey on NBC Nightly News

cornsqueezins
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

One assumes that rectified whiskey recipes were always intended to duplicate straight whiskey styles. (I know you're not saying this, Tim, but it is a natural assumption.) However, it's probably more accurate to say that such a book of recipes simply describes popular or regional styles, some of which may exist in a straight whiskey form, but some of which only exist as compounds. Just a thought.

I agree. There were straight whiskeys flavoured with fruited or other substances (e.g. Rock and Rye), compounds of straight whiskey and GNS, minglings of all-straight whiskeys, and likely other variations on this theme. Some areas probably favoured one or the other version depending on taste, locally available ingredients, and (especially) cost. Still, straight whiskey was regarded as superior: in Joseph Fleishman's 1885 manual on whiskey blending, large extracts of which are reproduced at www.pre-pro.com, his top-most grade of blended whiskey was a combination of all bourbon or all-rye whiskeys lightly dosed with a fruit extract such as prune juice. He said when the customer could "get it" this superior blend was preferred to all other grades. He gives a gradation in which the price rises in strict proportion to the amount of true whiskey in the product. Cocktails were another version of flavouring straight whiskey. By cutting it with soda or other drinks (vermouth) this is a kind of compound too. In fact, when I read old ads in books such as Sam Cecil's, whiskey is rarely if ever shown as being taken neat. Less rarely, it is shown taken with rocks only, but usually (I mean up to the 1960's, say) it is shown in Manhattans or Old-Fashioneds or highballs. I think, though, this was a genteel way of presenting whiskey. I think many people, then as now, enjoyed whiskey on the rocks or neat, but the ads possibly regarded such practices as too "earthy", not worthy of being shown in colour ads in glossy magazines which earnestly portrayed (idealised) scenes of haute bourgeois or upper-class life. Such is the way (is it not?) with all advertising, even the inverted snobbery-laced advertising of our time..

Gary

This book is in the collection at the Oscar Getz Museum. It is titled "The Manufacture of Liquors, Wines and Cordials Without the Aid of Distillation." by Pierre Lacour Published by Dick & Fitzgerald, New York. I did not copy the page with the publish date but if I recall correctly it was 1862.

Mike Veach

I think internetwines.com has them for ordering for $35 a bottle. I got mine from there when they had their 25% off sale a few months back.

In AL, an ABC state, I think it is about $39 or 40. I would love to try some, but not at that price.

Tim

I had one distributor here in NY bring a sample by and mentioned they were considering bringing it in. Unfortunately, last I checked, they decided against it. Darn it!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.