Beer at 27% ABV!

unclebunk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've seen it. I even held a bottle in my hands the other day. I have no intention of purchasing a bottle, though if someone wanted to share a taste of theirs with me, I'd give it a go.

I've seen a bottle of the previous release that is not for sale.

It's a pretty bottle. I doubt anyone around here will be trying it anytime soon. That's a lot of bourbon money to buy that bottle.

A wine bar we hang out at (Brix) also sells a few interesting beers on tap and the occasional specialty beer bottling. They have this one and have it offered at $200. We've thought of getting ten of us together and sharing one. It is in a very cool package for sure.

Randy

Yeah, we always get all of the Sam Adams specialty stuff up here in Maine, but I won't even spend $15 on a bottle of beer, much less ten times that.

I have the BT barreled release from a couple years ago. Very good and interesting stuff. It lasts forever and I let folks have a sip when they come to town.

If you are a beer drinker - I do not mean Coors Light - then you will enjoy this at a 1/2 oz at a time... Fun stuff

I have a bottle of the newly released 09 Utopias. Not sure when I will open it, but I will be sure to share my results.

I remember reading a review in All About Beer magazine in the early '90's by Michael Jackson about a high alcohol beer whose name escapes me.

Said Mr. Jackson, "This beer proves that you can indeed get to much of a good thing."

I've seen it. I even held a bottle in my hands the other day. I have no intention of purchasing a bottle, though if someone wanted to share a taste of theirs with me, I'd give it a go.

I've seen and held this some time ago. $150 for a bottle of beer is beyond my means.

By the way, I'd vote Sam Adams Winter Lager as the best mass produced beer on the market.

Anyone ever have Sam Adams Triple Bock from 1996/1997? It came in a little cobalt blue bottle and was supposed to improve with age. I bought a bunch of them, waited a few years and cracked one open. It tasted like fuc*%#g soy sauce! :lol:

Anyone ever have Sam Adams Triple Bock from 1996/1997? It came in a little cobalt blue bottle and was supposed to improve with age. I bought a bunch of them, waited a few years and cracked one open. It tasted like fuc*%#g soy sauce! :lol:

I've seen and held this some time ago. $150 for a bottle of beer is beyond my means.

By the way, I'd vote Sam Adams Winter Lager as the best mass produced beer on the market.

i'd second that. The winter lager is excellent. I used to really like their cream stout, but I haven't had it in quite a while and would have to revisit it.

I have to agree that SA's Winter Lager is right up there with the best of the mass produced beers. You know, for a once small micro that has grown into a behemoth, Sam Adams has managed to consistently produce a wide range of truly excellent beers, with only the occasional misstep--Triple Bock.:puke:

i'd second that. The winter lager is excellent. I used to really like their cream stout, but I haven't had it in quite a while and would have to revisit it.
The SA Winter Lager really is terrific. Erich, see if you can find their twelve pack sampler which I believe has both the cream stout and the winter lager among others.

I have to agree that SA's Winter Lager is right up there with the best of the mass produced beers. You know, for a once small micro that has grown into a behemoth, Sam Adams has managed to consistently produce a wide range of truly excellent beers, with only the occasional misstep--Triple Bock.:puke:

The SA Winter Lager really is terrific. Erich, see if you can find their twelve pack sampler which I believe has both the cream stout and the winter lager among others.

Yep, it's good. For the 3rd consecutive year I have purchased my Holiday Case Pack of SA beers from Costco. Regular Sam Adams (good), Winter Lager (Very Good), Old Fezziwigs Ale (Pretty Good), Holiday Porter (Dang Good), Coastal Wheat (Pretty Good), and....Cranberry Lambic (:puke:) I really wish they'd quit putting the Cranberry Crap in the pack. I really can't get to liking this one.

yeah, the cranberry lambic was terrible. I wasn't a huge fan of the blackberry whitbier either...

Cranberry Lambic (:puke:) I really wish they'd quit putting the Cranberry Crap in the pack. I really can't get to liking this one.

I never liked fruity beers when I was younger, but I love the Cranberry Lambic -- it's my favorite out of the Sam holiday pack -- so bready and zesty -- there's really nothing else like it. The Holiday Porter is a close second -- a great porter. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I never liked fruity beers when I was younger, but I love the Cranberry Lambic -- it's my favorite out of the Sam holiday pack -- so bready and zesty -- there's really nothing else like it. The Holiday Porter is a close second -- a great porter. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

You need to move down here then Andy! I can pawn them off on you! :D I probably have the last 3 years collecting dust. I even have a swingset/jungle gym in the back yard for your soon-to-arrive littlen'. :)

I heard on the radio today about a brewer in Scotland that came out with a beer last year that was about the same proof as Utopia and people were complaining about it being so high. This year, the same brewer will be or already has come out with a 32% ABV beer. I don't see what the big deal is. People drink whiskey that is at a higher ABV all the time!

Thomas

I don't get the sampler pack because of the Cranberry Lambic, that and the triple bock are two brews from Sam Adams that I don't like.

I tried a six pack or two for the blackberry. At first, I didn't like it. My usual way of drinking a beer is from a glass with a nice touch of salt. Surprisingly the blackberry was much more pleasing direct from the bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.