BOTM Dec09: Buffalo Trace

camduncan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The first bottle of BT I had was a disappointment. It had a definite musty smell that made it almost undrinkable. I have noticed this with several other BT offerings including Van Winkle and Weller. I assumed it was cork taint but the Weller had a screw cap so I'm not sure what to think now. However, my second bottle of BT was excellent. Great balance of sweetness, spice and wood. Great neat but cheap enough to mix if you're in the mood.

I have a similar problem with Brown Foreman products. They all smell like acetone to me. Early Times is the best of the bunch IMO, at least it doesn't smell like acetone. I was born in Terre Haute, maybe there is something in Wabash river sewage (water in IN) that warps the taste buds at birth.

I have a similar problem with Brown Foreman products. They all smell like acetone to me. Early Times is the best of the bunch IMO, at least it doesn't smell like acetone. I was born in Terre Haute, maybe there is something in Wabash river sewage (water in IN) that warps the taste buds at birth.

no, most of the brown-forman stuff I've smelled is like that, excluding one single barrel of JD I once tried, the 07 OFBB that I had once, and a particular Willett that was absolutely stunning. if I knew where the bones to my right thumb were, I'd trade them for another bottle of that stuff!

Tonight I've opened the bottle of BT I was going to open last night.

It could be because it is a freshly opened bottle or because the whiskey when first poured was a little cool (my hutch is against an outside wall) or because I've been drinking some heavily flavored higher proof pours lately or all of the above, but It is a little less singularly BT and a little more BT distillery character, if you get my drift. I'm picking up some of that damascus, pages of an old book, flavor I get from Baby Saz, which I think is usually muted by the toasted marshmallow.

Ah.... as the whiskey is warming up....I'm getting more of what I love about this bottling...

Well I sat down the weekend and rediscovered this great Whiskey.

The nose was laid back, with some citrus and cherry notes coming through. The taste was delicate with with spicy rye flavours.

The finish was long and smooth and just a bit woody.

It had been while since my last bottle of BT, but now I remember why I liked it so much.

• 4 weeks later...

IIRC, bottles that have been sent back have received a clean bill of health from BT, but it isn't clear how much they test the returned bottles (they certainly don't drink from them for obvious reasons).

Why do you assert that they don't taste the bottles? I have an email from Truman stating that my bad bottles were tasted by their regular testing panel, including Truman, plus one of the Van Winkles. These were PVW15 so maybe they don't taste the regular BT.

• 3 weeks later...

I find BT drinkable but I'm not really a fan. It used to be $29 at our state liquor store but has been on sale at $22 for several months. They no longer list it on their website so I'm wondering if the state is going to discontinue it.

Buffalo Trace was the third bourbon I ever tried. I drank Maker's for a few years, had a little bit of Blanton's, then BT. It's what really got me interested in bourbon, I absolutely love it. I know many have commented on the "grass" in it, but I actually find more of a grassy taste in EC12, which I like also. But especially at the price, even in VA, it's a great value. I picked up a 1.75 in MD the other day for $38, which makes it even better.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally had a dram of this at a local restaurant not long ago. Just one of those things I have considered buying, but got distracted by something else in the store.

It was a unique experience, as the "root vegetable" taste that I associate with Eagle Rare and Blanton's were also quite noticeable in this, one of BT's simpler products. It must be a distillery characteristic. Licorice or fennel, with star anise, and a spicy kick of clove and/or black pepper.

All in all, quite tasty.

I finally had a dram of this at a local restaurant not long ago. Just one of those things I have considered buying, but got distracted by something else in the store.

It was a unique experience, as the "root vegetable" taste that I associate with Eagle Rare and Blanton's were also quite noticeable in this, one of BT's simpler products. It must be a distillery characteristic. Licorice or fennel, with star anise, and a spicy kick of clove and/or black pepper.

All in all, quite tasty.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.