1st use of tax stamp and/or DSP?

tommyboy38
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I recently acquired an old (empty) bottle. It's really old but I was wondering when they first used tax stamps and DSP #'s.

The bottle I have says it came from distillery No. 80-something in the 5th district of KY. I'm guessing it's pre-prohibition but I was wondering how close I can get on dating the bottle.

I recently acquired an old (empty) bottle. It's really old but I was wondering when they first used tax stamps and DSP #'s.

The bottle I have says it came from distillery No. 80-something in the 5th district of KY. I'm guessing it's pre-prohibition but I was wondering how close I can get on dating the bottle.

Giving distilleries ID numbers probably started with the first excise in 1791, but the modern system probably dates from when the tax was revived at the beginning of the Civil War. Tax stamps began with the bottled in bond act in the 1890s.

I found the list at Pre-pro. This bottle was from Atherton and I was able to find out most of that same info but my bottle didn't look like it ever had a tax stamp and I was guessing that those may have started with the BIB act. The label just identifies the contents as "whiskey" and there is no mention of proof (another thing that made me think pre BIB).

Thanks for the info Chuck.

I was also thinking of dating it by the manufacture style of bottle but this one still has a metal wrap on the top so I can't tell if it has a seam there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.