A good bourbon suggestion please

david64
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hello one and all, a relatively new guy on the board here!

I'm looking for some suggestions for a good everyday bourbon to drink. Currently I bounce between Makers Mark, Jack Daniels and Old Charter (when I can find it).

Hello one and all, a relatively new guy on the board here!

I'm looking for some suggestions for a good everyday bourbon to drink. Currently I bounce between Makers Mark, Jack Daniels and Old Charter (when I can find it).

Join date of Jan 2008...I guess we have a little different opinion on what "new" is. ;)

I would do a search in the forum for everyday pours...there are lots of threads on this very topic that should be very helpful. For my money I would look at any of the Binny's bottlings seeing as your in Illinois. The Weller 12, BT, and Elmer T. Lee ones inparticular have a special place in my heart. Good luck with your decision! :cool:

Hi, David

Whereabouts in Il. are you? Even downstate where I live we have a decent selection. You just gotta know where to look. Knowing where to look is real important.

You can't go wrong with any of the Weller offerings. Some people don't like BT, but I do.

Join date of Jan 2008...I guess we have a little different opinion on what "new" is. ;)

I think the key word was...."relatively'.:grin:

I live in Pekin.

BT= Buffalo Trace????

Yes Buffalo Trace...

Depending on if you have Old Rip Van Winkle products available I would look at the 10/107 or Pappy 15 too...the ORVW 10/107 is around 30 the Pappy 15 is around 50...:D

you'll find lots of posts on this subject. Lately, my regular is 4R, but in the recent past it's been ER 10yo, EC 18yo.

I live in Pekin.

Friar Tuck's in Peoria (1401 W Glen Ave) has the best selection down your way. You will find most anything there you will find downstate. I was down there (Peoria) last when I had my dog cremated by ABTS Mortuary (Katie's pet cemetery) in Pekin. Really nice people, by the way, So I can pretty much tell you what they have. Sadly, I haven't seen any of the Old Rip Van Winkle bottlings there for a long time.

I'm Northwest of Galesburg.

I enjoy Very Old Fitzgerald BIB as an everyday pour.

:slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin:

I would do a search in the forum for everyday pours...there are lots of threads on this very topic that should be very helpful. For my money I would look at any of the Binny's bottlings seeing as your in Illinois. The Weller 12, BT, and Elmer T. Lee ones inparticular have a special place in my heart. Good luck with your decision! :cool:

WT101, WTRB, HH BIB, OWA..... OGD BIB, OBD 114, Beam 8 yr... any of these are good bourbons and a good price.

Friar Tuck's in Peoria (1401 W Glen Ave) has the best selection down your way. You will find most anything there you will find downstate. I was down there (Peoria) last when I had my dog cremated by ABTS Mortuary (Katie's pet cemetery) in Pekin. Really nice people, by the way, So I can pretty much tell you what they have. Sadly, I haven't seen any of the Old Rip Van Winkle bottlings there for a long time.

I'm Northwest of Galesburg.

I went to Friar Tucks this week and that is the only place that I have found Old Charter in this area. They do have an impressive selection there.

I live about 2 1/2 blocks from ABTS Mortuary.

The best Idea!!! is to sample a bunch yourself. Everytime you go in the store, try something different, and you'll hit on stuff you really like. Different people have different tastes. Also, by sampling a lot of stuff and having a lot of opned bottles around so that you can compare one drink to another, you'll develop a palate to distinquish the nuances of flavor. Also, you'll find that something you don't like today you may really like tomorrow and vice versa. If you get something nasty, you can always pour it in a mixed drink to kill the flavor.

ALL BOURBON IS GOOD! Just some are better than others...

You can't go wrong with any of the Van Winkle Products if you can find them and afford them for an everyday pour...Love the 20yo and 15yo. 10yo nice.

You can't go wrong with any of the Weller products, usually easier to find...

Lets NOT for get the Heaven Hill People, You got Elijah Craig 12yo and 18yo.

Happy Holidays and Happy Hunting for a good pour.

Not to sound like an echo, but I'll cast another vote for OWA or Weller 12 if you can find it. Elmer T. Lee is a nice bottle for the money and OGD 114 is a very, very good value for what you get.

Gentlemen I thank all of you for your suggestions.:thankyousign:

:drink: I see lots of sampling ahead. :slappin:

I would also like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas!!

Gentlemen I thank all of you for your suggestions.:thankyousign:

:drink: I see lots of sampling ahead. :slappin:

I would also like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas!!

One question I would ask is what do you like in a bourbon? Sometimes knowing the type of profile you enjoy will help you with your purchases. I wouldn't argue with any of the suggestions given but if you can articulate what characteristics you enjoy may help narrow down your selection. Nothing worse than purchasing a bottle and find you know like it.

Sweet vs spicy

soft vs robust

low vs high proof

etc....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.