Bourbon Magazine

Str8ShooterEsq
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bourbon Review is the only one I know of that is devoted entirely to bourbon.

What do you think of it?

I'd also broaden my inquiry to maganizes devoted to whiskey if bourbon is too narrow a subject.

Thanks.

I like it, but considering that it only comes out quarterly I would like to see a little less ad to content ratio.

I'm not a Scotch guy so I never really picked up Malt Advocate, but there was a thread saying that they usually devote some decent space to bourbon. Plus, John Hansell, the Editor in Chief posts here from time to time. It is definitely on my list to check out.

Malt Advocate is about 65-70% Scotch but they spend some space dedicated to bourbon and usually do about 3 bourbon reviews and at least one Rye whiskey review. They also leave space for Irish whiskey and some times rye whiskey articles as well no more than a magazine subscription cost it's worth having come to your door 4 times a year. The bourbon distilleries are advertising pretty heavily on there now so maybe they will expand their bourbon coverage. John Hansell doesn't post a lot on here but when he does it usually something that's worth reading and/or checking out.

I haven't read whisky magazine but if their site is any indication bourbon doesn't get a lot of attention in their magazine if any at all. Their forum section of their site it does get a few threads but not many.

MA is running a 2-for-1 sub special until Dec. 31.

Valid for any new subscriber, regardless of where

you live.

Direct link here.

MA is running a 2-for-1 sub special until Dec. 31.

Valid for any new subscriber, regardless of where

you live.

Direct link here.

Malt Advocate is about 65-70% Scotch but they spend some space dedicated to bourbon and usually do about 3 bourbon reviews and at least one Rye whiskey review. They also leave space for Irish whiskey and some times rye whiskey articles as well no more than a magazine subscription cost it's worth having come to your door 4 times a year. The bourbon distilleries are advertising pretty heavily on there now so maybe they will expand their bourbon coverage. John Hansell doesn't post a lot on here but when he does it usually something that's worth reading and/or checking out.

I haven't read whisky magazine but if their site is any indication bourbon doesn't get a lot of attention in their magazine if any at all. Their forum section of their site it does get a few threads but not many.

As a matter of fact if someone comes on their forum with a difficult bourbon question they usually will be referred back to this site by someone on the Whiskey Magazine Forum Site.

I subscribe to both Malt Advocate and Bourbon Review.

They are both real inexpensive and there may only be one good article per issue but I'm always glad to read it, besides like I said they don't cost much.

One problem with those magazines is that by the time you read about something that you may want to buy, like a special release bottle, it's usually sold out by the time the news gets published.

The best way to stay on top of things is to participate here on StraightBourbon.com

and Chuck Cowdery's blog at www.chuckcowdery.blogspot.com

Also John Hansell's blog at http://blog.maltadvocate.com

If not interested in scotch then Whisky isn't a good buy after the other two magazines.

Thank you, everyone. I just subscribed to Malt Advocate to take advantage of the two-for-one deal.

I see that the site ate a post that I made last night, so I'll try again...

To me, Malt Advocate is a real enthusiasts magazine. Well written articles and reviews and they touch on other non-whiskey topics as well. IMO, Bourbon Review reads like one of those glossy local entertainment and restaurant magazines that you find in hotel rooms. They look pretty, but lack substance.

If I had to choose between them, I'd pick MA.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know their phone number? I tried to log on to the web site to subscribe and I am getting a virus alert so I do not want to risk using my debit card for obvious reasons. When I tried to look for the number the page kept coming up blank.

Bourbon Review 859-402-1555

Malt Advocate 610.967.1083

Thank you Callmeox I call the magazine today and my first issue is on the way. I look forward to reading it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.