2009 Bourbon Review

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Let's go over the special and annual releases from 2009.

How do you rank them and how do you like them.

First I'll list what was released.

If I missed any please add to the list.

Four Roses 2009 Barrel Strength Limited Edition

Four Roses 2009 Mariage

Wild Turkey Tradition 14yo

Old Rip Van Winkle Family Selection 23yo 114prf

Parker's Heritage Collection Golden Anniversary

Evan Williams Single Barrel 2000 Vintage

Jefferson's Presidential Select 17yo

Woodford Reserve Master's Collection Seasoned Oak Finish

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2009

Buffalo Trace Antique Collection 2009

...William Larue Weller

...George T Stagg

...Eagle Rare 17yo

...Thomas H Handy Rye

...Sazerac Rye

How do you rank them and how do you like them.

As strange as this may sound, I am lagging behind in my 09 juices. I usually crack open my BTACs as soon as I get them, but I have so many open, I decided to hold off...

Now I can see just how far behind I am. I had the following and I rank them as follows:

1. Wild Turkey Tradition 14yo

2. Four Roses 2009 Barrel Strength Limited Edition

3. Four Roses 2009 Mariage

4. (one of the ones I have not had)

5. (one of the ones I have not had)

6. (one of the ones I have not had)

7. (one of the ones I have not had)

8. (one of the ones I have not had)

9. (one of the ones I have not had)

10. (one of the ones I have not had)

11. (one of the ones I have not had)

12. (one of the ones I have not had)

13. Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2009 (still waiting on Veaches good samples to reconsider :D)...but below the ones I have not tasted I would guess

I did not have the following, but my guess on ranking will be based on other folks taste profiles:

1. William Larue Weller

2. Old Rip Van Winkle Family Selection 23yo 114prf

3. George T Stagg

4. Parker's Heritage Collection Golden Anniversary

5. Evan Williams Single Barrel 2000 Vintage

6. Thomas H Handy Rye

7. Woodford Reserve Master's Collection Seasoned Oak Finish

8. Eagle Rare 17yo

9. Sazerac Rye

Four Roses 2009 Barrel Strength Limited Edition --- rich, fruity much more solidly FR than the 2008

Four Roses 2009 Mariage --- outstanding combination of mature and young bourbons ... without the oak. Best of the Year!

Wild Turkey Tradition 14yo --- very nice Turkey but hated the packaging and found it overpriced. The WTAS was better.

Old Rip Van Winkle Family Selection 23yo 114prf --- decided to pass at the price

Parker's Heritage Collection Golden Anniversary --- seemed like a novelty bottling at first mention; but surprisingly complex and very well-integrated

Evan Williams Single Barrel 2000 Vintage --- fine but no wow factor

Jefferson's Presidential Select 17yo --- way over oaked. I wonder how this would have been received without the S-W provenance and mystique

Woodford Reserve Master's Collection Seasoned Oak Finish --- WR finally gets one right. Exceptionally rich and mature; what WR wants to be if it grows up

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2009 --- didn't notice the "nose" that some found; but something discordant in the entry taste

Buffalo Trace Antique Collection 2009 --- all solid... but maybe I've become jaded with the BTAC

Of the crop, FR Mariage is far and away the best. Followed closely by the WRMC SO.

Bring on 2010!

How about the two new BT Experimentals.

I thought about those as well, but since they are not a normal release, like that of the ETL, do they fit?

There were 4 bottles this yr right? The fine and coarse grain, another pot still and something else right?

There were two different BT Double Barrel releases, I believe.

You new guys and your recent bottlings...I'm still looking forward to opening my 2007 BTAC...

Oscar, as you are in a position to know, my bourbon highlights for 2009 are more social than bibulous.

Although I had cut back on my bourbon 'holdings' to almost nil by year's end, my move to a more commodious abode prompted visitations from the likes of Gary Gillman (gillman) and yourself (OscarV), et uxores, and the genial Mike Bowers (from another bourbon website), which both propelled and assuaged the diminishment of my liquor cabinet.

Since nothing enhances the savor of good bourbon more than good society, my best bottlings of 2009 were those shared with others of like mind and palate.:toast:

Oscar, as you are in a position to know, my bourbon highlights for 2009 are more social than bibulous.

Although I had cut back on my bourbon 'holdings' to almost nil by year's end, my move to a more commodious abode prompted visitations from the likes of Gary Gillman (gillman) and yourself (OscarV), et uxores, and the genial Mike Bowers (from another bourbon website), which both propelled and assuaged the diminishment of my liquor cabinet.

Since nothing enhances the savor of good bourbon more than good society, my best bottlings of 2009 were those shared with others of like mind and palate.:toast:

Tim, I'll have to agree with that and say that 2 of my favorites from 2009 were not released in '09.

The French Oak Aged from the original set of 3 of the Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection and a Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye.

Both were enjoyed at your place last Summer.

Of the special and annual releases that I listed above here is how I rank them.

1, 4R '09 Mariage-Bourbon Of The Year!

2, WT Tradition 14yo-Great Turkey, not the best Turkey but great Turkey

3, 4R '09 BS LE-Subtle yet muti demensional

4, Jefferson's Prez 17yo-No doubt it's S-W, again not the best but very good S-W

5, Parker's Golden-Very good, but so subdued after '07 & '08

6, '09 Stagg-A little hot but a little water helps

7, '09 WLarueW-Same opinion as the Stagg, but hey like sex and pizza, Stagg and Larue are always good

8, Woodford Sea Oak-I find it more interesting on the brain instead of the tounge, I need to spend more time with it

9, EW1B 2000 Vintage-What's there to say, it's a EW1B, always good

14,etc, etc, etc,.......

......Old Forester Birth Bour '09 doen't even crack the top 100,...right Em?:grin:

No. 9 in the top 9 is very good even thogh it placed last, I like them all, it was a great year for special releases.

I haven't gotten around to try the ORVW 23yo yet.

......Old Forester Birth Bour '09 doen't even crack the top 100,...right Em?:grin:

:D

...............................................................................................

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.