Whisky Works?

Megawatt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey, I just found out that this Canadian company sells mini casks of medium-char American oak for the consumer to finish their own whisky. Prices start at $50 for a 1-litre cask. I'll probably pick one up and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions as to what I should mature in it. They say you only need to leave the whisky in for a few weeks because the small cask and new oak act very quickly.

I am doing the same with some WT 101. I purchased a 5L barrel and a bunch of WT101 when it was on sale for $14.99. I think it still is in a lot of areas....

If not that, I would say something in the 95-107 range that is $15-25 a bottle (OGD BIB, OWA, WT101, OGD 114, HH BIB, etc).

I would say get something you enjoy, but would think you would like better with a little more age. I also recommend that you get some empty 50ml bottles and pull a little every so often for visual and taste comparisons. I plan to pull some:

• 1 week
  • 1 month
  • 3 months
  • 6 months
  • 9 months
  • 12 months
  • and every 3 months until I rebottle it.

I plan to give it at least one yr on the 1st go around and then I may refill it again and go two since the barrel will be used some... not sure... I will play it by ear.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.