Your Most Prized Collection - 1 bottle only

BunkerBooze
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hello All:

This is for all you collectors and bourbon/rye fanatics. Do you have ONE unopened bottle of whiskey remaining in your collection that you will never open up? If so, what is it?

Mine would be...Willett 22yrs Rye

Hello All:

This is for all you collectors and bourbon/rye fanatics. Do you have ONE unopened bottle of whiskey remaining in your collection that you will never open up? If so, what is it?

:D That is what I was thinking Timothy. The bottles of MM I dipped would be the only keepers. Everything else will be opened at some point.

Hello All:

Really?????:bigeyes:

What a shame. That bottle is considered one of the best ryes ever bottled and you decided you did not want to drink it.......:skep:

There is no way I could have a bottle of something that is believed to be one of the best tasting things in the planet that I decide NOT to try.

But thats just me !!!:grin:

Do you have ONE unopened bottle of whiskey remaining in your collection that you will never open up?

I hope not.

~

`

-

You said whiskey and not bourbon so I do have a 2 bottle JD Repeal Set that I will never open. I also plan on saving one of my OF Repeal sets also.

Has to be my half-full WLW 06. The more I (very slowly) consume, the more I prize it and wish there was another in the stash.....the search continues.

Timothy's response made me think about my answer. I would have to say the MM Ambassador bottle I got a couple years ago at the KBF. A beautiful liter bottle, personalized label, and only MM inside. :skep: Joe

Every bottle in my collection is in play. My Willett 22 yo rye is a special occasion bottle, but will be cracked open when my son gets married or some other such elevated event.

I have many unopened bottles, but none that are off limits...just need more time to get to them all:grin:.

Like most of the replies above I have a few that will stay sealed until a special event arrives. In fact six months ago today I popped the blue wax Hirsch in celebration of my daughters birth.

Hello All:

Nope. These already all have been opened, or passed on to others for that purpose:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tsousley62/Whiskeys#

How do you know that Willett 22yo rye is worth keeping forever UNTIL you've opened and tasted it? Mine were well worth drinking;)!

Nope. These already all have been opened, or passed on to others for that purpose:

How do you know that Willett 22yo rye is worth keeping forever UNTIL you've opened and tasted it? Mine were well worth drinking;)!

Nice picture Tim. I had never seen a Weller SR BIB beore. Very cool... And I bet it was great.

Well, Tim has a point. I will NEVER open my '92 Blue Wax Maker's. In fact, I can see a "Risky Business" scenario (the crystal egg) where a child throws a party and it get's drunk by accident. I'd rather see the 928 in lake MI....lol!

But, for my "collectibles"...I'm saving one of the Blanton's Super Gold for the day I retire.

Although I buy bottles to enjoy their contents, I'll probably save one gold foil Hirsch 16. My last name is Hirsch (not related in any way to Mr. A. H.), and if I have a kid it'll be neat to show him/her a bottle of whiskey with their family name on the label. If he/she is unimpressed, I can always open it, right?

I have a bottle of MM that I dipped and a presentation box of Woodford Reserve that was given to me for participating in a food and bourbon pairing pannel at L&G. Short of those two I don't have anything else that I plan on keeping sealed.

I have three bottles that will never be opened:

The Makers Mark bottle I dipped myself at the distillery.

A bottle of Evan Williams personally labeled to my wife and I.

A bottle of Fred Noe Select signed by Fred Noe wishing me a 'Happy 40th Birthday'

Anything else in my bar is fair game for the right occasion.

If it's good whiskey/whisky, I'll drink it. If it's bad, I won't buy it. If I get given one that's bad, that one might never get opened. But I won't plan never to open one. However:

The bottle of MM recovered from Ground Zero.

Still has WTC dust on it.

THIS one makes complete sense. I agree it should NOT be opened. A moment of silence . . .

Sandy

hello tnbourbon

i guess u have a point. now, i am considering opening it but with people that can appreciate it.

For me, every bottle I have will be opened by me or passed on to someone who will do the same. While I have bottles in "presentation" that I enjoy looking at, I intend on drinking them at some point. I certainly understand the many MM postings as those hand dipped are novelty items for the most part and the whiskey inside is nothing special.

It would be a shame to never open that 22 year old rye. Saving a bottle for some special event or milestone is understandable but never opening a bottle because it's special? Craziness!

My special bottles; '65 Old Fitz BIB, '79 Haller's County Fair BIB, Hirsch Blue Wax, etc. will be enjoyed by me and some folks here on this site who can appreciate what they are drinking.

In my will, I have a clause that says all my bottles are to be opened at my wake. But the bad news for you, is intend to drink them before then anyways.

The bottle of MM recovered from Ground Zero.

Still has WTC dust on it.

That one I can buy not opening.

Tim-- Awesome photos (I remember one of those "Old" Weller SR BIBs from when I joined here a couple years back! The one that got away...)

I'll weigh in with the others. There are some being saved for special-er occasions, but I plan on drinking all I've got.

A different, but similar, question might be the one Mark Gillespie poses to distillers and writers on the WhiskyCast podcast: what whisk(e)y from your collection would you like to be your last pour before you pass?

Today for me, it would be the export Van Winkle Family Reserve KSBW 15yo/90.4pf (but only because my last Black Maple Hill 21yo is one of those being saved for a special-er occasion and I'm not sure which I'd prefer...)

for me i have a personalized bottle of Bookers signed by booker himeself a few years before he died. Its been in my closet for years and i doubt i will ever open it. i also have a second in which he signed the carton...That said i cherish these babies as to anyone who new booker new he was a hell of a guy!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.