Tangle Ridge

avery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My father has enjoyed this whisky for many years. He has referred to it as a "bourbon whiskey" or a "straight bourbon whiskey", but after a quick search, it is obviously a Canadian (blended) rye whisky. Now that he knows that I like whiskey and bourbon particularly, he has simply raved about this product. I've seen it in his liquor cabinet -- the bottle is interesting, with a stopper like a canister (I don't know how else to describe it). I've also seen it in the Canadian section of the liquor store, although with a much less interesting label and bottle, and did not note a price.

Can anyone provide me with more information on Tangle Ridge? Who makes it, tasting notes, pricing, etc. I've never tried a Canadian (or any foreign) whisky, so I wouldn't know what to expect. Most of what I've read about Canadian whisky is not good, so somehow I think I'd be in for a disappointment. However, if it is a worthy product, I may give it a try. Any recommendations on other foreign products would be welcome! I may not try them, though grin.gif (budgetary constraints -- only so much allocated per month and I like bourbon tongue.gif)

I think Tangle Ridge is a pretty good Canadian, but some people think it is too sweet and "winey." I don't think it tastes anything like bourbon.

I don't really think any Canadian whiskies have a really strong similarity to bourbon. Perhaps Canadian Club 100 has a passing resemblance to some bourbons.

My favorate Canadian Whiskies on the US market would be: Century Reserve 13yo (single cask); Canadian Club sherrywood; Crown Royal Special Reserve; Alberta Premium (100% rye), the Forty Creek bottlings and Gooderham and Worts. Lot 40 (mostly malted rye) is also very highly regarded.

A while back I bought a bottle of Hirsch Canadian Whiskey and I have to say tht it was one of my favorite and smoothest canadians, though I am by far not a huge fan of Canadian whiskies... I think it was aged 12 or 13 years and was about $30...

I don't know how the organisational chart ties it in , but this is a cousin to JimBeam or is owned by them , Or Vice Versa. In 1995 Beams 200 anniversary they used that same bottle for a 95 Proof and some odd age like 75 months or something. I have One in the Bunker , I've been there once tonite I don't feel like heading back so soon. The first Tangle Ridge I saw had the ceramic stopper and rubber gasket affair and the wire clamping system similiar to old canning jars. The Tangle Ridge I have seen lately either is finished with a cork or screw top. There is something about blending the whiskey and letting them " Marry" in the wood. It's probably a decent pour, and if Canadian is your thing I guess you are used to settling for a blend. grin.gif

This is a very distinctive botlle and is sad they decided to do away with the ceramic stopper. One wonders was it because of failure of the seal or a cost cutting measure. Hum, lets see........

AFAIK, Hirsch 12yo is one of only three single cask/unblended Canadian Whiskies that have been sold in the US (at least in the past decade). It is also the only Canadian I've seen that is pretty much a cask strength bottling (53.1%), although Black Velvet 107 and Century Reserve 21yo (120 proof) are higher proof.

The overall effect of Hirsch 12 is a very powerful whisky. shocked.gif

Thanks for the info, I didnt know much about it when I stumbled upon it. The thing that I liked about it was how amizingly smooth I found it to be for a cask strength bottling. I guess that's one reason why I also love Rare Breed and Stagg so much...

Good eye Bobby. Beam's 200th came in the same bottle as the ceramic topped Tangle Ridge. The TR is a good seller and it's priced right. Let me know your thoughts on the Anniversary Beam. Although younger and slightly lower proofed, I like it better than Knob Creek. Too bad it's gone.

Omar

Thanks Omar,

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Let me know your thoughts on the Anniversary Beam.

I am in the same vote as Bobby when it comes to the Anniv. Beam. Me and Chris both get a bottle and when we went looking for another they were all gone... frown.gif

Mark , at least you guys have a doable situaton if you were like minded. One of you needs to buy ,sell or trade out to the other. Of course to also keep the friendship in good shape an invitation to the drinking of it would follow. Just an Idea, I'm hoping to find another some day I guess I'm hoping against hope there. A member of the clergy at our church blew a bottle of this out in mint juleps a year and a half ago for the Ky Derby. Had I known I bet I could have provided him with a decent substitute! OUCH!

Out of curiosty...what did the "Turkey12" set you back? I finally found it at a small liquor joint here......$75.99...Not today, my friend! tongue.gifconfused.gif See ya, H'wood cool.gif

That my friend would put it out of reach for me. I think I paid 48-or 49.99 I have seen them up to around 53 here. Scarcity drove part of my decision to get it. I had one and wouldn't open it till I had it backed up. I still haven't opened it. However when the time comes to pull the plug on my old version of Pappy20 or 23 I guess I just won't look back! $75.99 If they keep going they won't have to ship it to Japan to get 300 a bottle.Damn!

You know I guess I'm fortunate that I can semi-afford the good stuff. I mean you'll pay for something that you like. Liquor here is high, and I often pay $35-50 bucks for quality booze. Like you said,....DAMN!....$75.99. I know that they see me/us coming, but they don't have to "break a shank in me" at the same time! confused.gifmad.gif See ya, H'wood cool.gif

• 2 years later...

Here's digging up an old corpse of a thread, and a flavor that's worse than an old corpse.

As an animal that has lost it's fear of man, I have become too snuggled up in the protections afforded by bourbon laws to fear the Canadian, and it victimized my taste buds last night. I've never bought a spirit that in addition to wanting my money back, I wanted to erase the experience of tasting it from my memory.

Tangle Ridge is without a doubt the most disappointing "whiskey" I have ever tasted. I really do think that it is adulterated with vanilla, caramel, and who knows what else. I guess it's possible that sherry or whatever other used casks could throw off those flavors, but I doubt it. If it had been labeled a liqueur, or rectified, I would have considered myself given fair warning, but I saw nothing other than the word blended on the packaging. I don't think it's possible that it's really just whiskey and neutral grain. I haven't tried Phillips' flavored spirits, but their labelling is quite clear that they're not just whiskey and neutral grain, so fair warning on their part.

It left a cloying artificial vanilla flavor on my palate that ruined the pleasant feeling that McKenna SB had left, and more surprisingly that Fighting Cock couldn't cut! I finally resorted to a particularly nasty Italian herbal liquer that I love on just such an occasion, named Cynar. It's an artichoke distillate, which should give a sense of it's character without my need of overmuch elaboration.

I'll probably need to taste _good_ Canadian in order to not just stereotype them, but I don't feel I can trust the labelling anymore.

Apologies if there are any fans of Tangle Ridge out there...

Roger - beware the barbarians at the gates of bourbon - Hodges

I believe the neck tag on current bottlings states that the whiskey is taken from cask, "blended with sherry and other natural flavors," then returned to cask. M. Jackson says the same thing in one of his books.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll probably need to taste _good_ Canadian in order to not just stereotype them, but I don't feel I can trust the labelling anymore.

So far, the only Canadian whiskies I've tried have been both of the Forty Creek offerings. They're reasonable to downright cheap depending on where you buy them, and they're quite tasty.

The Three Grain is on the sweet side, while Barrel Select is a bit more dry.

I've also heard good things about Wiser's 18yo, but have yet to try any.

Since writing the above post on Tangle Ridge, I've tasted Forty Creek Barrel Select. It shows the hand of a skillful whiskey maker and is a quite satisfying drink, although it isn't quite my cup of tea.

I do taste a controlled bit of the objectionable flavor of the Tangle Ridge, which as it's a sweet winey flavor must be the influence of the sherry cask, but in the Forty Creek it is subdued enough that the grain flavors and a more believable level of vanilla and caramel come through equally strongly.

(I can't believe that used, probably European, sherry casks can throw off more vanilla than virgin American white oak. To be fair, perhaps the "double cask" really did give that very strong, non-whiskey, character without any other adulteration).

Anyway, thumbs up for Forty Creek - a product with integrity that I'll be happy to serve to my Black Velvet drinking uncle should the occasion arise. It should be a big treat.

Roger - Just another bottle, please - Hodges

I'm disappointed that Tangle Ridge so overtly flavors their whiskey (and even owns up to it!). But there's plenty of other stuff to buy out there.

I wish I could find some Forty Creek Barrel Select, but all I see is the 3 Grain...any help in DC/MD/VA?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.