Old Forester label Q

Old Lamplighter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Found a 200ml bottle of some OF 86 bottled in 1989 the other day. Is there any significance to the red letters/numbers "PK 435508" on the front label. Also, the contents are very tasty.....maybe the best 4yo I've ever had.....ususally, I have a strong preference for 8-12yo stuff and don't care for the youngers.

Found a 200ml bottle of some OF 86 bottled in 1989 the other day. Is there any significance to the red letters/numbers "PK 435508" on the front label. Also, the contents are very tasty.....maybe the best 4yo I've ever had.....ususally, I have a strong preference for 8-12yo stuff and don't care for the youngers.

From what I've read around here, there is no significance to the red code on the front.

I agree with you about Old Forester tasting much older than the age statement. IIRC, unlike some distillers, e.g. Heaven Hill, B-F ages Old Forester in heated brick rackhouses. They cycle them through heat and cold during the winter which may artificially speed up the aging process.

That said, they are also a very old company that has been making that same whiskey for a very long time, so they probably have a good stock of older juice to mix in with the younger.

It's probably a combo of those things.

From what I've read around here, there is no significance to the red code on the front.

I agree with you about Old Forester tasting much older than the age statement. IIRC, unlike some distillers, e.g. Heaven Hill, B-F ages Old Forester in heated brick rackhouses. They cycle them through heat and cold during the winter which may artificially speed up the aging process.

That said, they are also a very old company that has been making that same whiskey for a very long time, so they probably have a good stock of older juice to mix in with the younger.

It's probably a combo of those things.

Thanks for the reply and help Josh. I kind of figured there was no significance to it but it does look good! Like so many others, I like the old label a lot better than the new(er) one in use now by OF. I agree.....they are a very old company who knows what they are doing and we continue to enjoy the fruits of their labor. Thanks again.....I'll toast you tonite with another pour of this fine OF 86!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.