Sharing Your Love of Bourbon With the One You Love

bluesbassdad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

To what extent do you and your spouse or significant other share a love of bourbon?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. To what extent do you and your spouse or significant other share a love of bourbon?

• S/he encourages me to buy and drink as much bourbon as I want, but never joins me.
    • S/he sometimes drinks bourbon with me, but isn't the avid bourbonian that I am.
    • S/he drinks as much bourbon as I do and is just as knowledgeable about it as I am.
    • S/he routinely drinks all of the Kentucky Spirit when I'm not around and then forgets to tell me that we're out.
    • We drink together, but s/he prefers alcoholic beverages other than bourbon.
    • S/he doesn't drink and is indifferent to my drinking.
    • S/he doesn't drink and would prefer that I not drink.

Remember guys and gals, if you don't have the you-know-whats to tell it as it is, then don't vote, OK? grin.gif

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

MY wife is a little of several of your choices. She is quite the avid bourbonian, and the fact that she can smell much better than I (3 broken noses already in my life can wreak havoc on that sense) is indispensable when I/WE do tasting notes. Anybody who was with us at the bourbon festival can tell you that she had as much fun there as I

That said, she does like other types of alcohol (especially tequila, and to a lesser extent vodka/gin in the context of a "good"martini) as well. She would probably choose tequila as her favorite liquor if asked.

And she ahs been known to drink all the Old Ezra 7 or George Dickel in the house and then serendipitously re-add it too the shopping list! cool.gifcool.gif !

I'd say my wife gets a big ole BLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Overall!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif !

TomC

Leslie takes an intrest in bourbon and the bourbon industry, but doesn't especially like to drink it. She does enjoy a bourbon sour, but she is mostly a wine drinker.

Stacy is pretty much the same way. She totally supports me in my collecting aspects and even goes out of her way to help me find new bottles. And like your wife Jeff, she also enjoys aspects of bourbon and the industry but mainly she is a beer or wine girl.

I've cast my vote, but if I had the opportunity I would tweak my vote somewhat. I stated a short time back that I've converted my lady from strictly wine and beer to a neat-drinking bourbon/whiskey women! smirk.gifgrin.gif She doesn't drink as much as I, but almost as frequent, and on occasion does the purchasing as well! smirk.gif We usually drink together, and is getting pretty good at identifying specific tastes/flavors in the pours (in less than a year).....You've come a long way baby! wink.gif See ya, H'wood cool.gif

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Those of you that have met Vickie can attest to the fact that she can go drink for drink with any man and can drink average men under the table. She knows quite a bit about bourbon itself as to how it is made and who makes what and whether a bourbon is a traditional rye recipe or a wheater, but she could care less about it's history. It's all about the here and now with her. She wants bourbon right here - right now. grin.gif

Interesting Poll. My wife and I distinctly different roles in bourbon acquisition and drinking. I am responsible for finding the new, rare and different.I am the explorer and researcher. She is the part time stocker and drinking companion. She has no preconceived notion it comes to tasting and could care less about butterscotch, vanilla and green corn. She knows if she likes it or doesn't and their isn't a lot of middle ground. I sometimes envy her simple approach. Its a nice balance between of us of analytical and empirical.

Although she doesn't drink bourbon herself very often, Peggy has always been great too. My Christmas or birthday gifts are often a bottle of a good bourbon or a book on bourbon. She helps make the search and collection of different bourbons more fun.

Todd

My wife Cathy has been supportive so far. She even suggested me buying the Old Pappy a few years ago for $70. I wasn't even thinking of buying it because of the cost, but I wasn't about to turn away from that opportunity. wink.gif

But, alas, I may be about to get the evil eye. I have filled up a whole shelf in the butler cabinet and I have started stocking spares in the mini-bourbon bunker. Plus, I have the Stag on the way. I think, understandably, her threshold is about to be reached. That just means I have to drink more to make more room!

My wife can't even tolerate the smell of bourbon, due to a bad run-in as a teen. However, she'll occasionally try a sip, then make horrid faces wink.gif . In the meantime, she's OK with me buying it "within reason".

My wife has been interested in my Bourbon journey. She bought "The Stagg" for me for Christmas! Best gift ever! smile.gif She has visited the Labrot & Graham distillery a few years ago and the Jack Daniel's distillery this past summer with me. She will sample (take a sip or 2) of the various bourbons that I will try. She has a pretty good sense of taste and smell, and will pick up on certain flavors/aromas before I will. So, although she does not drink very much, she understands my enjoyment of this exploration. I have to say that I'm a lucky guy! smile.gif

Bob

• 1 year later...

Another interesting one that I'll bump... my wife, being a chef, is pretty open to trying anything at least once, and absolutely loves the smell of most bourbon I bring home. She'll usually try a sip or two of my first pour from a new bottle, but isn't too interested after that. I haven't yet found a bourbon that she'll drink regularly.

In fact, the only time I've ever seen her drink a good amount of bourbon was a few nights ago. I'd just poured myself about 2.5 - 3 oz. of Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve, and my mother showed up unexpectedly, knocking at the door. Before I knew what was happening, my wife had reached over, grabbed my glass, and downed the contents. Needless to say, she doesn't enjoy her mother-in-law dropping by unannounced.

And what a waste of Old Charter! I could've had the lowest shelf rotgut imaginable in that glass, and she would've drained it just the same. At least it wasn't Stagg, a Hirsch , or a Van Winkle (none of which I can get in my evil communist state).

I'm going to call you the bumpmeister. lol.gif

This is a good topic though.

This has changed a bit since my original reply. Leslie has moved from bourbon sours to Manhattans and Old Fashioneds. She still doesn't care for bourbon alone, but we're moving in the right direction cool.gif

My wife doesn't drink bourbon, but she does drink whiskey; in fact, she was drinking single-malt Scotch before I discovered whiskey myself.

My girlfriend simply cannot abide the whisk(e)y. She's an accomplished beer connoisseur, to the point of using software to track all the beers she's had and her comments about them, but finds Bourbon and Scotch to be completely disgusting.

Every so often, she'll reluctantly try something if I say it's especially good. Even so, she can barely make herself swallow it.

Give that woman a beer! lol.gif

Ben and I enjoy bourbon equally. We were just trying to figure out how we began drinking bourbon together recently and to the best of our recollection, it was a mutual adventure from the beginning. We were both big spirit explorers before we met so our common booze interest has been a fun part of our relationship all along. We had a blast taking our vacation together to the Festival this year. We love sharing thoughts on bourbons and creating cocktail and food recipes together.

wr,

Thanks for bumping this thread! I enjoyed it when it was current.

reached over, grabbed my glass, and downed the contents

I sure hope I get a chance to meet your wife... I completely understand... smilielol.gif

And shoot man, don't think of it as a waste! When you need a shot of something, no one wants rotgut. Yer always sorry afterward... lol.gif

Life's too short to drink crappy Bourbon... grin.gif

Bj

I just now noticed that I never responded to my own poll.

Unfortunately, and not just in the context of the poll, my wife is diabetic. Years ago she enjoyed wine and mixed drinks with pink umbrellas, but of late she takes only a small glass of wine about twice a year. Even that small transgression will produce a big swing in blood sugar for a day or so.

I have asked her to nose bourbon on occasion, and she says it smells a whole lot better than any beer I asked her to try over the years. (Her opinion of beer is reflective of the joke that ends "Neither of these horses should be worked for a week to ten days". grin.gif )

My stash of bourbon ( yum.gif ) is mentioned seldom and even less often in a favorable way. blush.gif

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

About the only way I share my love of bourbon with my little bride is when it leaves me in a pleasant mood. She doesn't care for it at all. Her loss but she has at least tried it before casting judgement.

Ben and I enjoy bourbon equally.

Ditto with Tina & me. Tina's trying to figure out what her post partum celebratory drink will be. I think she's leaning toward ORVW 15, which we picked up at the Festival. Neither of us have ever tried it. In fact, I don't think there is ANY bourbon that one of us has tried that the other has not.

Tina's trying to figure out what her post partum celebratory drink will be.

When you make your final decision, let us know so we can all toast to the new young'un! toast.gif

Will do! The due date is 1/19/05, so I suspect around Christmas time, Tina will announce her edict for the purposes of packing for the hospital trip. You guys will be the collective third to know her decision.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.