Powers 12 Irish now in the USA!

ThomasH
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was browsing Binnys website tonight and discovered that they now have Powers 12 Irish. This first came out in 2000 for the millenium and has been available only in the UK and Europe until now. I have wanted a bottle of this for quite some time but it was out of stock every time I thought about ordering and would have to be sent from overseas. Early next week, a bottle will arrive at my doorstep. Way to go Binnys!

Thomas

I was browsing Binnys website tonight and discovered that they now have Powers 12 Irish. This first came out in 2000 for the millenium and has been available only in the UK and Europe until now. I have wanted a bottle of this for quite some time but it was out of stock every time I thought about ordering and would have to be sent from overseas. Early next week, a bottle will arrive at my doorstep. Way to go Binnys!

Thomas

I'm sure I've seen Powers 12 somewhere in the US. I can't recall if it was in Oregon or Florida...probably the latter.

Powers gold label is much more widely distributed and is about 6 years old. This is the first time I have ever seen the 12 in the US!

Thomas

Paddy's is a much more common brand but also not widely available in the US until now. It is a big brand in duty free stores in Europe and the Far East. My bottle actually came from Australia!

Thomas

I purchased Powers 12 in Ireland when it was first released. I was a bit disappointed by it especially since I'm a big fan of NAS Powers. Anyone care to comment on the current version?

I think of Paddy's as an Irish Coffee type of whiskey. Don't get too excited if you never had it before, a beer and shot dram at best if you ask me. Nothing like Red Breast, Connemara, Jameson 12 or the better Bushmills you can already get stateside.

I did read where the first release of Powers 12 was a bit dull, but I didn't have to pay near the price for one from Binnys as I would have getting it shipped from overseas so I'm not that concerned. My friend from N. Ireland is due back for a visit at the end of March. He is a regular whiskey courier. Irish to the states and bourbon and rye on the return home. He said he has another plum for me and I beleive him, he hasn't brought back a clunker yet. Then again, I haven't sent any clunkers home with him either!

Thomas

I didn't find the Powers 12 I had last night dull....I had already tasted 8 scotches and I really enjoyed...if fact I bought a bottle to take home.

Tom

I did read where the first release of Powers 12 was a bit dull, but I didn't have to pay near the price for one from Binnys as I would have getting it shipped from overseas so I'm not that concerned. My friend from N. Ireland is due back for a visit at the end of March. He is a regular whiskey courier. Irish to the states and bourbon and rye on the return home. He said he has another plum for me and I beleive him, he hasn't brought back a clunker yet. Then again, I haven't sent any clunkers home with him either!

Thomas

I didn't find the Powers 12 I had last night dull....I had already tasted 8 scotches and I really enjoyed...if fact I bought a bottle to take home.

Tom

Sounds great, Tom. I'm picking mine up today at Binny's.

• 4 months later...

Was finally able to pick up a bottle of the 12yr. Great stuff. Much richer in taste than the standard gold label (which I like alot) with lots of honey flavor. A notch better than Redbreast. Will have to go back and pick up a couple of more bottles because this one will not last. :cool:

Was finally able to pick up a bottle of the 12yr. Great stuff. Much richer in taste than the standard gold label (which I like alot) with lots of honey flavor. A notch better than Redbreast. Will have to go back and pick up a couple of more bottles because this one will not last. :cool:

Found my first bottle yesterday too. Can't wait to sample it tonight. Hard to imagine it being a notch better than Redbreast, my all-time favorite Irish whiskey, so maybe I'll have to have a pour (or two) of both to compare them.:grin:

Powers 12 was 34.99 at Binnys. Shipping is extra and drops quickly per bottle depending on how many bottles you order!

Thomas

Powers 12 was 34.99 at Binnys. Shipping is extra and drops quickly per bottle depending on how many bottles you order!

Thomas

That's pretty reasonable.

I reviewed it here back in March if you're interested. Paddy was a one-time release in the US for St. Patrick's Day. Powers 12 is supposedly here on a regular basis now. Oh, and Redbreast 15 is also supposed to be coming our way later this year. Something to look forward to!

I reviewed it here back in March if you're interested. Paddy was a one-time release in the US for St. Patrick's Day. Powers 12 is supposedly here on a regular basis now. Oh, and Redbreast 15 is also supposed to be coming our way later this year. Something to look forward to!

True, but as I noted here back on December 1st, I was informed by my Pernod contact that it will be here later this year. He's the US marketing manager for Pernod's Irish whiskeys, so I believe it.

Found my first bottle yesterday too. Can't wait to sample it tonight. Hard to imagine it being a notch better than Redbreast, my all-time favorite Irish whiskey, so maybe I'll have to have a pour (or two) of both to compare them.:grin:

Buck - that's exactly what I was planning to do this wekend, a little side x side with Powers 12 yr and Redbreast. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Redbreast but was really impressed with the Powers.

Oh, and Redbreast 15 is also supposed to be coming our way later this year. Something to look forward to!

I saw Powers 12 yr. a couple weeks ago in a local store. I think I'll wait for a few more reviews before investing in a bottle. Personally, I can't see it being better than RB 12 yr, or even quite close.

OK I have a question and I'm sure the answer lies in a different meaning in the word/phrase but here it goes: The Powers 12 is a blended whiskey but on the bottle it says it's bonded. What am I missing here what does bonded whiskey mean in Ireland?

OK I have a question and I'm sure the answer lies in a different meaning in the word/phrase but here it goes: The Powers 12 is a blended whiskey but on the bottle it says it's bonded. What am I missing here what does bonded whiskey mean in Ireland?

• 4 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.