TTB labeling regs in brief

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The vodka definition cracks me up. "Whithout distinctive character..." Put it in a fancy bottle, and a vodka drinker will beg to differ.:lol:

The vodka definition cracks me up. "Whithout distinctive character..." Put it in a fancy bottle, and a vodka drinker will beg to differ.:lol:

I love chatting with vodka drinkers and mentioning the regs.

They swear up, down and sideways that they can tell the difference. Keep in mind that most of them consume the vodka as a mixed drink where any subtleties that may exist are surely masked.

Marketing is king.

• 2 weeks later...
I love chatting with vodka drinkers and mentioning the regs.

They swear up, down and sideways that they can tell the difference. Keep in mind that most of them consume the vodka as a mixed drink where any subtleties that may exist are surely masked.

Marketing is king.

I've heard (not from experience, as I don't buy any vodka "nicer" than Smirnoff) that the quality of the water that goes into the vodka can account for a lot of the differences. Also, the more "refined" the initial distilled spirit was, the better it could make it, but I can only see this up to a certain point.

If anyone's willing to send me a hundred bucks worth of Grey Goose/Van Gogh/Ciroc/Etc., I'll give it a shot.

Scott, I think what you said is arguable even for neat sampling - done blind I think it would cause difficulties for many brand loyalists.

It is possible the water component does play a large role, Chuck argued this once and it is starting to sink in that this may be right.

The differences are there but they are quite minimal. It may be too that only the very cheapest brands can be distinguished - even then I'm not sure though.

Gary

By the way I once did an informal tasting (blind) of 4 well-known brands - I liked Grey Goose the least and I think Ketel One came out on top with Smirnoff and Absolut in the middle. I'd like to try this again, tasting a group of brands in the same kind of glass, at the same temperature (fridge cool, say). It would be interesting but after one sip of each I believe you couldn't continue in any meaningful way. The palate is just too dulled by the alcohol. And so what's the point then, it's a zero-sum game... Still, I know people have their favorites and I respect that. I do because sometimes very small differences are detectable and people can sense them when familiar with a certain brand - at least, when drunk neat. But how many people drink vodka neat (no ice or water)?

Gary

By the way I once did an informal tasting (blind) of 4 well-known brands - I liked Grey Goose the least and I think Ketel One came out on top with Smirnoff and Absolut in the middle. I'd like to try this again, tasting a group of brands in the same kind of glass, at the same temperature (fridge cool, say). It would be interesting but after one sip of each I believe you couldn't continue in any meaningful way. The palate is just too dulled by the alcohol. And so what's the point then, it's a zero-sum game... Still, I know people have their favorites and I respect that. I do because sometimes very small differences are detectable and people can sense them when familiar with a certain brand - at least, when drunk neat. But how many people drink vodka neat (no ice or water)?

Gary

Russians and college students.

The only difference in vodka taste that I have been able to tell is, what it is made from (wheat, grapes, etc).

I have an example of a bar that I know serves 750ml Grey Goose vodka for $225.00 per bottle for their V.I.P. room and everyone is sold that Grey Goose is the best vodka ever.

ONLY ONE PROBLEM THE VODKA THEY ARE GETTING IS SMIRNOFF RED.

But how many people drink vodka neat (no ice or water)?

Russians and college students.

Can I quote you on that?

Plus they don't keep in their mouth long enough to taste it, anyway.

Water is part of it and filtering is another part. The main difference between cheap vodka and better vodka is the charcoal filtering.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.