Bon Appetit Mag does Rye

dean_martin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The latest Bon Appetit magazine has a short section on American Rye Whiskey. The article says they tasted 16 different ryes and came up with 5 to recommend. Their criteria is not specified but as usual it appears to be based on price brackets:

1. Rittenhouse

2. Russel's Reserve

3. (ri)1

4. Van Winkle

5. Old Potrero

A couple of issues ago they did something similar for Scotch. Although they are not as thorough as folks here would prefer, their little intros to spirits, wine and beer can be a good jumping off point for some. Their unusually lengthy article on IPAs last Spring was my spring board to craft beer.

While it may not match my five best list, except for the inclusion of (ri)1, it's hard to argue with the list as a good one for someone starting out with Rye, offering pretty affordable selections and a diversity of flavors. I would have included Baby Saz though.

Price brackets, sure, but it's also often the case that magazine rankings include one example from each distillery. In rye, that's partially understandable because there aren't very many offerings from each, but still...

Roger

Price brackets, sure, but it's also often the case that magazine rankings include one example from each distillery. In rye, that's partially understandable because there aren't very many offerings from each, but still...

Roger

I was surprised they tried a total of 16. I'd need to do a little studyin' to come up with 16.

I was surprised they tried a total of 16. I'd need to do a little studyin' to come up with 16.

Agreed.

Not so sure about the choice of OP. I had a sample of that (thanks ThomasH!) and I thought it was really...weird.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.