Worth It

SMOWK
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I saw a couple 1.75s at a local place that I've been thinking about buying for a while. One is Old Forester BIB DSP-414. The other is Wild Turkey 101. I noticed the WT101 has a date on it of 1994. They are both priced at $45.

I can usually get a 1.75 of WT101 for $35, so I'm hesitant to buy that one. Would it be any different than today's 101?

IIRC, OF only comes at 100 proof with its signature bottle. Is the 414 stuff worth grabbing?

Is the 414 stuff worth grabbing?

There are other posts extolling the virtues of Old Forester distilled at DSP 414 with Rughi being quite an advocate. I think it's great juice and up against the current Signature you will get a nice contrast between older and newer styles of bourbon. $45 dollars is a pretty steep price, even for a handle but depends how plentiful your dusty shelves are. I've bought 1.75's from $30 to $35 and 750's around $20.

That's kind of what I was assuming. It seems a little expensive to be worth it. The same place has plentiful bottles of The Fox, which I really like. Oh the conundrums of the everyday bourbon buyer. It's a hard life.

If the Wild Turkey was truely from 1994, it would be called WT old #8. If it is Old #8 and from 1994, it is absolutely worth the 45.

I'm pretty sure it is Old #8 and there's 3 or 4 of them on the shelf. I've got to make a grocery run today, and this place just so happens to be on the way.

For some reason no matter where I go, there is a liquor store on the way.

If you decide not to pick those up and would like to work something out, I would love to have some....

PM me if interested....:grin:

If you decide not to pick those up and would like to work something out, I would love to have some....

PM me if interested....:grin:

Here in Va the current WT101 is 22 for 750ml and the 1.75L sells for 48.00. With what I pay for current production I would gladly pay 45 for the number 8 WT101.

If the Wild Turkey was truely from 1994, it would be called WT old #8. If it is Old #8 and from 1994, it is absolutely worth the 45.

I am aware of one of these that has been sitting on the shelf for a number of years in what has become a downtrodden and crime-ridden neighborhood. The store has been set on $59 price tag for several years now. While I am not sure of the year on the bottle, it is definitely an Old No. 8. The usually-lazy guy behind the counter will not look for the date on the bottle and will not pass it under/thru the bullet-proof glass unless you pay for it first.....which, in addition to the asking price, is why I have never been inclined to take it home. It seems nobody else has been so inclined either.

I'll give it a few more years and perhaps the price will become more in line with reason.

The problem is... if its a 97 or 98, it isn't worth as much as the current WT. Up 'til 96 they were great, after that they faded...

Only one of the Old #8s left on the shelf when I went back today. But there is hope for a few more.

The OFBIB DSP414 had to be left behind due to cash shortage due to ORVW 1975 decanter.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.