BOTM 3/10: Evan Williams Black Label 86 proof

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

For a comparison of the current NAS and the 7YO, please see our discussion:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9211

Tony, Traver, and I did some drinkin' and some chattin' and recorded our comments.

For the record, I really like EWB. I haven't bought it in some time, but I need to rectify that oversight on my part!

Some great post back to some great old threads I really enjoyed them. You three should get together and do some more of these.

I remember trying EWB 20 years ago and thinking it was surprisingly good for the price. Esquire listed it as "the best cheap booze" a couple of months ago (http://www.esquire.com/features/drinking/best-cheap-liquor-0209). I don't read the mag, but a while ago they also listed my favorite album (John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman) as the best ever, so sometimes they hit it right.

I can heartily recommend EWB for deglazing your BBQ plate and amazing your friends as huge flames reach for your eyebrows!

I really enjoyed this on the rocks over the weekend and it worked a treat in a bourbon & coke last night. Versatile, cheap and inoffensive good juice IMO :)

I can heartily recommend EWB for deglazing your BBQ plate and amazing your friends as huge flames reach for your eyebrows!

Haha, exactly right! Good whiskey for general barber chores.

I keep some EWB around for sauces, marinades, glazes and barbecue mops. Trying some neat tonight and I'm finding that this whiskey is fairly one dimensional. But I have to admit that it seems better than it should be for the price.

Cheers!

I picked up a bottle of this and thought it had kind of weird scent to it. I was thinking it might be the glass I was using, but got the same result with 2 different glencairns and a rocks glass. Maybe it'll go away after the bottle has been open awhile.

I think next time I'll try JTS Brown BIB for the same price or EW 1783 for $1.50 more.

I've been a little disappointed by recent bottles, the bourbon seems quite young. I much preferred the 7 year old expression. Apart from the age factor I recall it being rich and rum-like.

Gary

I finally read through this thread today at the office and decided I needed to be open minded and pick up a smaller bottle to sample in the spirit of broadening my bourbon experience.

By way of a little background, having never tried EWB, I figured I'd find it to be unpleasant based on my experience with EW BIB. Since I started branching out in my bourbon drinking, I found that I really enjoyed OGDBIB, so I figured I'd try other BIB bourbons I found. Virginia happens to have the EWBIB so I bought a bottle and really didn't enjoy it. Maybe it's just the bottle I got, but the taste of char is overpowering to me. It reminds me of JD which I really never have enjoyed because I always thought it tasted like I was drinking liquid charcoal. EW BIB hit me the same way.

So, on to EWB. For the money, this strikes me as a great value. It's certainly not the most spectacular pour I've ever had, but it's solid. The bottle I got has a very nice nose. Some vanilla and caramel scents with a little hint of wood. The bourbon has a medium mouthfeel. Not quite as think and creamy as I've enjoyed with other bourbons, but too thin like a drink of water. The taste is somewhat lacking, but I wasn't expecting something incredible for the price. A hint of mint, some corn, a little spice, followed by the slighest wood note. All very quick with a very short finish.

Overall, it seems a nice light bourbon for drinking straight and would be a good mixer. I'm sold. When this 375 is empty, I'll be adding a bottle to the bar.

Mike

I started drinking EWB 7yo during my college days in the early 80's. It was the best pour I could afford at the time. I continued drinking it as my daily pour, still to this day. But I have to admit, the NAS is not quite as good as the original 7yo. The NAS lacks the original complexity and finish. But I still think it's a great value. Normally I enjoy it with a single cube of ice while grilling.

For some reason, I don't have a bottle right now. That's a rare event. I will get one tomorrow.

Around here it is often on sale for $20 for the 1.75l bottle.

Evan Williams ($24) tastes like neutral spirit with artificial bourbon flavoring. The SB is better; but either cost ($28) twice what I'd be willing to pay for them.

I think next time I'll try JTS Brown BIB for the same price or EW 1783 for $1.50 more.

Give it a shot. I'm really liking this one and hard to beat for $10/750ml.

I drank a ton of this stuff when it was 7 & 8 y/o and 90 proof. It was good. The new stuff is ok but not in that league IMO.

Joe :usflag:

• 1 month later...

I think this stuff is pretty "meh". I would rather spend an extra $5 and get something I really like. I did the same side-by-side as Hansell (with a friend) of the EWB & the new Old Crow Reserve. Although we both agreed that the EWB was a more solid whiskey with a clearer flavor profile and seemingly better aged, we both thought the Old Crow just tasted better. EWB has always had a certain off note that I can't abide, be it charcoal or some other funk, I can't tell. It's great for cooking, though at $12 a bottle.

EWB has always had a certain off note that I can't abide, be it charcoal or some other funk, I can't tell.

I read this thread and also the cheap bourbon thread and got some Evan Williams EWB as it were. Certainly not the best bourbon of all time, but definitely pretty decent for the price. Very decent, actually, considering the price. I can get it for $7.99 a fifth at a local liquor store every day, on sale sometimes much better for the 1.75 after looking at adds. Nice with a bit of soda, or just over rocks.

Thank you all for the tip.

• 7 months later...

I think of this one as Heaven Hill's signature style. A better nose than the BIB, more prominent notes of maple, caramel, buttery pecan, almost praline like, and lacks the heat of its higher proof sibling. From mixer to neat this is a versatile whisky that deserves it's popularity.

• 3 months later...

Another EWB fan here! Neat or a couple of rocks, never mixed (except in the holiday 'Nog!!!) :bowdown:

I drink EWB neat on a fairly regular basis. It is in my opinion one of if not the best value priced boubons you can find. I often see it on sale for $10.

This one is always around and opened. EWB is hard to beat for quality/price ratio. It's good enough to sip neat and cheap enough for guests to mix with whatever they want.

This was my go-to bourbon for many years, especially when it was 7 y/o and 90 proof. I don't buy it much anymore since they watered it down and removed the age statement.

Joe :usflag:

It's a very versatile bourbon for a very fair price--something to keep in the booze cabinet for when you're having a party and don't want to worry about your brother-in-law with the hollow leg drinking 2/3 of the bottle in one sitting. :grin:

• 4 weeks later...

I really only can afford Evan Williams or Old Crow Reserve in a regular bottle size. I prefer, I think the Evan Williams as I have not tried them side by side. I believe that I can taste the smoke from the charred oak barrel and that is a good thing. I drink it on the rocks. Have not tried to mix it any other way.

I still prefer Wild Turkey 101 to Evan Willams but I guess we are talking about apples and oranges as far as shelf level. I guess Wild Turkey 101 would be expected to be better.

I used to like it when it was 7yr also, nowadays it's just for mixing...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.