Some Interesting Bill Samuels Related Quotes. . .

MurphyDawg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I found these in an article at CocktailTimes and the whole story can be read here.

1) Maker's Mark whiskey is aged for 6 years as well as many other Bourbon brands. If the Bourbon is aged less than 4 years, the age of the product must be stated on the bottle label. "It's not good more than 6 years in barrels," said Samuels. Julian Van Winkle, one of a few independent bottlers disagrees with Samuels' statement about the aging process. Van Winkle's Bourbons are aged at minimum of 10 years in charred oak barrels, some of his whiskys are aged for 23 years.

Hmmmm. . . I might have to side with Julian on this one.

and 2)"Not so many people know about Bourbon, but people keep buying our product because they have an emotional attachment to the brand," says Samuels.

I think tat says a lot about why Maker's Mark is so popular these days. Its just suprising to hear it from the source in a publication blush.gifblush.gifcool.gif !!

Anybody have an opinion??

Tom (conversation starter) C

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

"Not so many people know about Bourbon, but people keep buying our product because they have an emotional attachment to the brand," says Samuels.

I guess so. It seems real sad to me that even the guy running the joint (who you would think would actually enjoy the bourbon) admits to it.

TomC

Was the six year for MM or all bourbon? There is a perfect time for each bourbon to be bottled. Not the same for all. I like MM and think more time in the barrel would not do it any good. I like EC and think a few more on top of the 12 would be OK. 18 is too much.

There seems to be a split opinion of Maker's Mark around these parts. I think as far as wheateds go (compared to say the Weller or Van Winkle Bourbons) Makers Mark while good, doesnt quite measure up. The biggest thing about the aging of Makers Mark that bothers me is that that is the only age they bottle domestically. We will never know (at least as it stands now) if Makers would be better at say 8 or ten Years because it is not available. crazy.gifconfused.gif .

TomC

It is sort of intresting that on the side of the japanese black wax bottles it says

"Makers mark select

Our 95 proof Maker's Mark Select reflects my own individual preference in the Maker's Mark style. While I'd never alter the soft, clean and gentle taste Dad achieved with his original creation of Maker's Mark, my tastes have always leaned towards a slightly more robust, more full flavored whisky-a perfect complement to our 90 proof red wax Makers Mark. I hope you enjoy Makers Mark Select as much as I do. Bill Samuels Jr."

I wonder why he won't sell that bourbon in the US... When someone asked at the tour if they would ever be selling any other proof or age of bourbon, the tourguude said that they 'are too honest to sell more than one bottling of the same bourbon'... hmm... That doesn't seem too honest...

• 1 year later...

I suppose that anyone wanting to find this post, could. Still I couldn't resist a bump! lol.gif

It's an interesting post on several levels really.

I didn't know there was a Black Label Makers Mark - I'll have to try and pick a bottle up when I'm in Japan.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.