Evan Williams in the Wilderness

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Chuck, as usual, very perceptive. It was a user problem.

As for the bunny rabbit stopper, only very special bottles have them.

• 7 months later...

Looking ahead to my first distillery trip down to Kentucky at the end of the month, with a trip to 5 distilleries, including the Heaven Hill half day tour. I just so happened to stumble across a couple bottles of the 94, one 97 to go with the 99 I found back in December. Just wish I could find a couple more dusties closer to home!

I was at the local store the other day and the 2001 EWSB is out. That has to be a record for Ohio. I don't usually see the new ones until the end of summer!

Thomas

• 1 month later...

I am not so sure you can rate EWSB by year and get an accurate read. I have been chugging the 2000 juice down at an alarming rate and I believe I have tried half a dozen or more different barrels from 2000, unfortunately I threw the bottles away and should have noted the barrel #'s on the various bottles. One was distinctively better than most and thats when it finally dawned on me I should see if I can get more of the same barrel #'s. I recall opening a bottle of EWSB 2000 and thinking this barrel was ridiculously delicious. I went back to the store later that day and purchased the last two bottles with the same barrel #.

It did not dawn on me to take notes and remember barrel #'s until the juice was gone and the bottles were discarded as I thought the odds of me finding more bottles of the EWSB 2000 were slim since the 2001 has already reared its head at my liquor store.

The cool thing about EWSB is its a new adventure in every barrel. Now when I find a good one, or at least one that appeals to my palate, I am gonna take notes and see if I can get more of the same barrel.

I don't have any 1996 handy, so I'm tasting 1994 to represent Bardstown. (I like the 1994 better anyway.) I have 1997, 1998, 1999 and 2000. I've done some of it but I'm not ready to post my results. If you have that set, or something close to it, why don't you join me?

Are you ready to post those results yet with some tasting notes?:grin: I know I personally would appreciate it very much and I would bet a lot of money I would be one of the many. I only have the 98, 00, 01 so I would really like to hear about the difference you noticed from each distillery.

I could have sworn I wrote them up, I just can't remember where.

After some investigation, I've determined that I wrote them up, in the sense that I transferred them from the handwritten notes that I can never find again to something electronic that I found through a search, but I never published them anywhere. I will do so shortly. Please remind me if I forget again.

I don't think I have any specific notes for 95 or 96, but I can do 94 and then 97-2001.

I don't know if they got the idea from here, but Craig Beam hosted a vertical tasting of EWSB at Delilah's during WhiskyWeek. They started with 96. The 98 seemed to be the favorite among the guys I was around. It was crowded, so I didn't get a chance to see any barrel numbers or take notes.

They were a little late setting up, so I'd already had a few and my palate was not at its best. Mr. Beam didn't play up the distillery variety, but it's not easy to get a conversation going when free tastes are being poured in a crowded bar. I'm going to keep an eye out for some 98s; I've let a few go by.

In 2001, I was with a group at Heaven Hill that did a vertical of the whole range to that point, 1986 to 1992. We did it at Parker's house. That may have been the first vertical they did because they had trouble finding an '86. They found one in somebody's office but didn't know of any others. It was fun doing it with Parker, asking him about the different ones, and teasing him about the years that weren't very good (the first two). We did the vertical backward, starting with the 1992, which they had just unveiled earlier in the day.

Here's a link from the Tasting forum to a vertical tasting some friends and I did over the weekend comparing the '96, '98, and '00 bottlings. We had a great time with the comparison and were fascinated with the variance. Isn't there supposed to be a particular flavor profile these bottlings match? If so, why the great variety in flavors? I'm rather clueless about the selection process and would like to know more about how it's done. Any info?

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15917

• 1 month later...

Found some '98 and '99 at a few local stores. The '99 was sampled the other night, and I really enjoyed it. Sweet, tasty, the perfect bourbon for my palate. I couldn't stop drinking it either, I usually only do one or two pours, but this ended up being 4!

Found some '98 and '99 at a few local stores. The '99 was sampled the other night, and I really enjoyed it. Sweet, tasty, the perfect bourbon for my palate. I couldn't stop drinking it either, I usually only do one or two pours, but this ended up being 4!

I agree the first two were disappointing. It makes me wonder how these were chosen, could the criteria have been, up say to about 2000, rarity/singularity more than anything else? In other words I wonder if over time, "our" criteria (rich, pleasing taste, essentially) have been adopted by the industry as the one to govern special editions and similar releases.

Gary

Thanks for the recommendation! I purchased a bottle of Old Forester 100 proof and a semi-dusty 86.6 proof the same day....:grin:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.