A contrast in two events: Four Roses and Maker's Mark

craigthom
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This weekend I attended two events at distilleries, and they couldn't have been more different.

Friday afternoon I went to Four Roses for a preview of the new 100th Anniversary (of the building) Single Barrel. There were a couple of dozen of us in attendance.

After we checked in we got a drink from the bar and mingled. There's a feeling of family at these events. The staff knows those of us that show up often, and we have come to know each other. I even saw a couple of SB.com people. Having an open bar probably helps with the atmosphere.

Jim Rutledge was out of town, but Brent Elliott, Senior Manager of Quality Control, talked to us about the new release. He talked about what they were looking for, and the selection process. It was very informative.

We then got a nice sample of the new expression, poured into small Four Roses glasses. Some of us may have had more than one sample.

Then we got pretty good food for this kind of event, especially the seared tuna.

Al Young talked about the history of the distillery after we had eaten. I hadn't heard him talk before, and it was terrific. The company has been actively collecting memorabilia, and he showed us several pieces they have collected, including a 1934 "medicinal" pint.

On Saturday I went to Loretto for the second day of Maker's Mark's Redheads and Thoroughbreds weekend, and it was completely different.

There were hundreds of people there. It started at noon, but I didn't get there until after two. I passed some people leaving as I was arriving (people who don't understand the protocol for one-lane bridges).

I followed the directions of five people to get to my parking spot, which wasn't too far from the festivities. They were shuttling people from the lot on over-sized golf carts, but I walked.

Although the crowd was huge the lines were not horrible. The longest line I was in was to dip my souvenir Ambassador bottle in wax on the bottling line, and I spent that time talking to the two women ahead of me.

I also waited in line to check in, to buy my bottles (the little souvenir one and a generically bottled 46), to pick up my 46, and to get "barbecue".

Surprisingly, the only things I didn't have to wait in line for were the bathroom and my little tastes of regular Maker's and the 46.

Both samples were served in little plastic cups, and, try as I might, all I got out of them was no finish on the regular and an astringent finish on the 46. It was probably the sun and the plastic and the noise that kept me from concentrating.

I did not wait in the giant line for autographs, and I didn't tour the rest of the place. I've been there before.

The place felt like a state fair without the rides. There were people walking around everywhere. The crowd was huge, but everyone was having a good time.

I may have missed it, but I don't think any whiskey was being poured except for the little samples.

I am upset I didn't get to make it to Four Roses, I was out of town. I settled for Maker's Mark on Saturday instead. My impressions were similar to yours.

Nice piece on the two events. The 4R experience is more what I would enjoy doing. Hope they keep it up and hope I can make it to one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.