Rebel Yell

century451
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have done a search on this bourbon and most seem kind of down on it. I just finished my last bottle that was a case given as a present back in the 70's. I havent found it locally but my question is this......Has the recipe changed? Seems like an awful lot of folks thinks this is a nasty bourbon.

I am not sure myself because I have not tried Rebel Yell, but form what I have been told (and the little I have tasted) there are several bourbons that have changed drastically over the past 30 or so years, and so there is a good chance the current Rebel Yell is that in just name only. Maybe some of the more experienced folks in the field of older bourbon can weigh in and help you mre.

TomC

I used to drink quite a bit of Rebel Yell in the late 60's / early 70's. It was a Stitzel-Weller whiskey, then. Unless it is old stock, it couldn't be, now, because that distillery has been closed for years. Also, it used to be 90 proof, now it is 80.

I haven't tried it, lately, but I will pass. By the way, it sounds like what you had probably was original Stitzel-Weller whiskey. I just don't think that is what they are selling, now.

Tim

Probably not. The brand has been through several owners since the product you just finished was made. Back then, it probably was Stitzel-Weller wheated bourbon, with a little less age on it than the company's Old Fitzgerald and Weller brands. Even then, though, it was felt that the name and image were what mattered, and the customer for Rebel Yell expected a somewhat rough product.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.